Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2011, 06:15 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A&E Weather Pro Awning

I have two problems with my A&E Weather Pro Awning. 1. When it is out it is very "loose", not tight at all and flops around with just a little wind. Could this be weak shocks? 2. The alarm is sounding if I enable the wind sensor.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda
I have two problems with my A&E Weather Pro Awning. 1. When it is out it is very "loose", not tight at all and flops around with just a little wind. Could this be weak shocks? 2. The alarm is sounding if I enable the wind sensor.
If I recall, you put on an extra piece to attach a shade to your awning. Could this be causing your problem?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Pete & Linda,
If the alarm sounds when the auto retract is engaged the sound of death is what you hear. Either the roof sensor or the control board or both are bad. I am assuming it has not rained lately and the temp is above 32 and below 130 degrees F.

If the tube rolls out to the maximum length, the fabric is as tight as it will get. Both the ends of my awning flap with the wind. When rolling out the awning, make sure the roller tube allows the valance to be at 6 o'clock (straight down). This allows the arms about 1 inch of flex in the wind. I do not feel the shocks add anything to the fabric tightness. They do cushion the awning arm if the awning is picked up by the wind.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:24 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cliff good memory, I have not installed the shade yet, Thanks.
Gary I guess you have it, if I extend it all the way the valance is not at 6 0'clock, back it down to 6 O"clock I will have the play you are talking about. This is the way I have been using it. The reason I ask about the shocks is it seems looser than it use to be.
Anyone know how to get to the sensor?
Old 03-28-2011, 07:04 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
Cliff good memory, I have not installed the shade yet, Thanks.
Now if I could remember what I had for breakfast.

My sensor is on the end of the arm ( the one towards the front of the MH ) at the roller . It's a round silver thingy. I've heard others say theirs are on the roof. Dometic has a good customer service dept. Call them with your model # if you need more assistance. 1-800544-4881.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:07 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When my weather pro is fully extended the valance is in the
three o'clock position. Is there a way to adjust it to six o'clock or is this normal ?
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:55 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine is on the roof, just wondering how to get to it.
az just back it up a bit.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Pete & Linda,
To get to the wind sensor, one must get on the roof. Next remove the caulk covering the hold down screws (the sensor is mounted directly to the roof). Remove the screws and the sensor tower off the roof. The sensor is in the plastic tower.

I know of no way to mess with just the sensor. I've replaced mine twice and the part sent included the tower with the sensor inside. It plugs into the RJ-11 telephone cord coming out of the roof.

While the tower is off the roof it would be a good time to caulk closed the hole that was drilled in the roof for the telephone wire. Before mounting the new tower, drill a 1/4" hole in the bottom of the tower. This hole needs to face the rear of the coach. Once installed the hole will be the drain so the water will not build up in the tower or flow into the RV through the hole made in the roof.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:09 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi az bound,
To get the valance at 6 o'clock back up the awning just a bit from being fully extended. In addition to the previous post on this, there is an additional benefit. When fully extended, the awning roller tube acts as a dam, keeping rain water on the awning. With the valance pointing straight down, the awning fabric rolls right over the top of the roller tube. This allows water to drain much better. Also, with the valance pointed straight down the awning arms will be in a position for the rear arm to kneel when water gets too heavy. This is designed into the awning and works very well, keeping the awning from storing large amounts of water that may break it.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When fully extended the valance never reaches to the 6 o'clock position. Acts like it not opening all the way. When retracted it does not close all the way, not sure whats wrong, never had this trouble before.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi az bound,
Sorry, I miss read your post. When opening/closing, does the awning seem to move as fast as it did when new? If not the motor may need to be replaced. Mine has been replaced one time. If the speed seems okay, then you got me on this one.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #12

P&L, If the alarm is sounding, you have a problem with the sensor. You may be able to fix it by making sure it is dry and and clean. On my coach (2003) the sensor and controller must be replaced together. The newer ones can be programmed separately.

The RJ11 connector is the same as a phone but the cable is a data cable not a phone cable. The wiring is different. If your mfg. used their own wiring with only the RJ11 connectors, you may find a bad connection between the RJ11 stub and the factory wiring.
I know of several coaches from Winnebago, including mine, that had a problem with the connections to the factory wiring.