Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2016, 01:04 PM   #1

A, B, or C?

My wife and I are shopping for our first real motorhome, I previously owned a small van style Class B a number of years ago, which was more van with bed, a fridge and sink, than a real motorhome. I am semi-retired, but my wife still works, although she does get ample vacation days with job (local government job), and the number of vacation days continues to grow the longer she has the job so our trips would likely be limited to a couple of weeks at most, more likely a week or less most of the time.

The main reason for considering a motorhome at this time is that my wife has a health condition where she can easily become over exerted and needs to have a cool place to rest and recover when this happens. She also has some minor (variable) mobility / balance issues, however these will likely get worse as time passes. Due to this our primary vacation travel has been by cruise ship the last few years, but it is time for a change. This year we tried a trip by air travel then renting a van for a road trip, that worked mostly ok, still the exertion of air travel took its toll on her ability to enjoy the rest of the trip.

Now down to the requirements, we will be looking at the used market, likely units that are 10-15 years old, priced in the $15,000 - $30,000 range as we don't know how much we will really use the motorhome so don't want to spend too much on it if it is just going to sit not being used.

We want something to travel in, not something to travel to a fixed point and park it, our preferred style of travel is generally move from place to place every couple of days. I don't want to pull a car around, so some ability to use the motorhome as a general purpose vehicle is important, so nothing too big. Important features are a reasonably comfortable queen size full length bed (I am 6'0" and have a bad back), my wife wants something with a decent size bathroom, with a larger corner style shower (again mobility issues).

I have found the feature requirements in a few Class A and Class C models in the 27-30 foot range, so far I have not found any class B candidates.

My question is where do you draw the line between maneuverability vs amenities? How realistic is it consider a smaller 26-29 ft class A for so called around town driving, getting in and out of tourist attractions, going grocery shopping, maybe some selective casual dining, etc. (most travel will likely be in central or western US) I might consider getting some type of small TOAD if needed later on, but would prefer to avoid it.

I own a crew cab F-250 which measures in just under 21 ft long, so have some concept of the length, however it is much narrower at 80 inches wide on the cab, but does have towing mirrors, and of course it is only a bit more than half the height of a typical Class A.

thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2016, 03:49 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
you will most likely be able to afford a newer class C than an A in that price range. You also have to consider gas vs diesel. If you are not going to tow, then you can get a newer class C gasser which means more modern conveniences and better floor plans typically for the price point. You would be well suited with any of those. I have no issues pulling into decently sized supermarkets and what not, just have to park far away due to length.

I think you should approach this from a floorplan and features direction since you are not going to live in it full time, have a set budget and not worried about towing.

Maneuvering is similar compared to length as most class A's have high angle wheel cuts to navigate tight areas easier.

Some other experienced pilots may chip in with more suggestions for shopping around.
nukerj is offline   Reply With Quote