Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2005, 07:02 PM   #15

I've not heard of the 80% rule before now. Is that the running current or startup surge current?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2005, 07:08 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
HeatAir, I've been in the industrial refrigeration business for over 35 years now and I've never heard of an 80% rule. I'll check with some of our electrical designers tomorrow and see if they have any knowledge. I know when I figure RLA, MCA and max fuse size, that rule is not considered.

Ken

Old 07-11-2006, 03:01 PM   #17

I have a '96 Winebago Adventurer; with 2 roof units. Does this one automatically sense if you are plugged into 50A service and allow both A/C units to run at the same time?

I know on generator, it will allow both. But on shore power, it will only allow one (unless fire up genertor) then will allow both even though not plugged into generator!).

I was thinking I need to install some kind of switch to fake the system into thinking the generator is running when actually plugged into 50A shore service- but maybe there is a simplier way?

Thanks.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:15 PM   #18
JRP

the so called 80% rule, is most likely a reference to the National Electric Code article 210, which states a branch circuit over current protection devices must be sized for at least 125% of the continuous load and 100% of the non-continuous load. other portions of the NEC article 210 also require sizing the conductors (wire) based on 125% of the continuos load.
A "Continuous Load" is defined as ... "A load where the maximum current is expected to continue for 3 hours or more."

125% of the load (16 amps x 125% = 20) being numerically the same as 80% of the circuit breaker rating (20 amp x 80% = 16 amp).

jim
Old 07-12-2006, 12:23 AM   #19
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
bhoelzle, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us. When plugged into 50 amp shore power you should be able to run both units. Winnebago used a main switch (Usually mounted in an upper cabinet) to control the roof air conditioners. Be sure that it is not set to just one when pluggged into 50 amp and select which one you want when plugged into 30 amp. Good luck and enjoy the website. If you have more questions we will be glad to help where we can.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:28 AM   #20
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
JRP, it sounds like you are an electrician. From what I can remember from my studying for the contractors exam 30 years ago, you are correct. The circuits are to be designed for full load being only 80% of overcurrent protection device rating. If a fault occurs then the device will tripout protecting the conductor.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:15 PM   #21

Hello RV Wizard:

We just returned from a 9 day trip through some of the hottest weather imaginable.
This was our second trip in our (new to us) 2004 Southwind with 5500 Onan and two roof a/c with 30 amp power.

First problem was that a/c would not operate on generator while traveling. Kept swithching to "Shed" mode, not "On" mode. Once stopped to get gas, I had to shut down generator and then it would not start up. Dash a/c was simply HOT air. Outside temp was 109. What a meserable experience.

We got to our KOA RV park, plugged in and found that the a/c would not work because it kept going to "shed" mode. I was able to use one a/c and after a while, turn on the other. Then, every 20 to 40 minutes, the Main Breaker switch would trip.

AFter that I learned to just use one a/c. What a letdown, If it was cool in the front of the coach, it was hot in the bedroom.

I also learned that the generator would work fine when we started off in the morning, and run one a/c. But as soon as I stopped for gas, I couldn't get the darned thing going again. With outside temps of 104 to 112, this was one really uncomfortable trip.

Do you think I have something wrong with my electrical system, or is this a/c & generator problem simply a result of the high temps?
Old 07-26-2006, 12:46 AM   #22
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Laandy, I would recommend you switch whatever you can to lp gas operation (refrigerator & water heater). This will leave more available wattage for the generator to apply to the other loads you are trying to run. THe 5500 watts should be enough to run both roof air conditioners it they are operating at their most efficient levels untill you add the problem you were experiencing with the heat. The Generator could use a tune up too. I would start at the generator to make sure it is operating properly and then do an amp draw test on the air conditioners and find out if there is something else pulling power causing the EMS to want to shed power off the air conditioners. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:29 AM   #23

Mike,

I just picked up a 2001 Adventurer and just got back from a Cold Turky trip to Ottawa. I picked it up, packed up and took off for ten days. The Genny will blow its own 20 amp circuit breaker whenever a load such as the Microwave or Coffee Maker was put on unless the AC was turned off first. This makes me suspect that the previous owner had some work done on the generator and they reversed the outputs. It is my understanding that a 5.5 KW Onan on an EMS equipped coach with True Air would have the Second AC Compressor and the Distrubution Panel on the 30 Amp side of the Generator so when appliences or outlets were used the Second AC Compressor would be shed along with the other Major Appliences and the Primary AC on the 20 Amp side of the Generator would continue running. Right now it sheds the second compressor etc but is trying to manage 20+ amps on the 20 amp side of the generator.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Old 07-26-2006, 03:18 AM   #24

NeilV, you are correct that later model Winnies manage the 30A side through the EMS panel. If a 20A breaker on the 5.5KW genny trips, it only cuts off A/C #2.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:30 AM   #25

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by troth:
NeilV, you are correct that later model Winnies manage the 30A side through the EMS panel. If a 20A breaker on the 5.5KW genny trips, it only cuts off A/C #2.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Troth,

If thats the case then mine is flip-flopped with the 20 on the generator tripping and shutting all the house circuits down. I will get out the wiring diagrams and verify this again and then look into swapping the lines. Just have to verify where they are incorrect, at the breaker panel, transfer switch or the generator.

Thanks,
Old 07-26-2006, 08:48 AM   #26
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If the breaker on the generator is tripping ou then the wiring problem is on the generator where the wiring from coach is connected to the circuit breakers on generator. If you switch the L1 & L2 output loads you should have it straightened out. Let us know.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:01 AM   #27

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Wizard:
If the breaker on the generator is tripping ou then the wiring problem is on the generator where the wiring from coach is connected to the circuit breakers on generator. If you switch the L1 & L2 output loads you should have it straightened out. Let us know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike,

Now the plot thickens. Yesterday when I got home from work I started up the genny to do a few more checks and now the True Air comes on for a about a minute and then the condenser fan shuts down leaving the compressor and blower inside the coach running.

I guess it is time to stop fooling around and give Lazydays in Sefner a chance to set things right as I have only had the coach for about 15 days.

The paper trail in the black bag indicates that in the months just before they traded this one in the original owner had some boards replaced and installed surge and voltage protection. I'm begining to suspect that they had an event that they could not resolve and traded it instead of pursuing things any further.

Thankfully I have a two year warrenty.

I did do a quick check of the panel in the TrueAir unit and found two small gauge wires that were not connected and two relays on the left side of the panel that had only one wire connected to them. I'll have to check the wiring diagrams and see where they are supposed to go but will still more than likely give Lazy Days a chance to set it right.

Thanks,
Old 07-27-2006, 07:05 AM   #28

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Sent you a PM