Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2008, 04:25 PM   #1

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">We decided to head down to Cabela's today for a road trip. It is a little over an hour from home. We thought it would be fun way to exercise the engine and make sure the systems are all running well.

It was only about 18 degrees outside, but was warm and toasty inside with the furnace on. We were the only RV in the RV area, so we put the slides out for more room. We ran the generator, watched tv, played a game, took the dogs for walks in the exercise area, we even took a nap !! Why is was so much more than comfortble than at home I have no idea.

Oh yeah, we did a little shopping too. My DH likes the wild game in the cafe and I like the gift area. I found some nice woodsy pillows and a blanket for our guest room.

We took both dogs with us, we wanted to see how the new puppy did. She is about 11 weeks old now. She did not like us leaving her in the crate. She didn't seem to care that we left the tv and furnace on for her. We heard her barking halfway across the parking lot. I want to try to get her used to the crate before we actually start camping for the season, or we will not be making any friends this year She does pretty good in it here at home.

We are going to do a few more day trips before the start of the season and hopefully as she gets a little older she will realize it's ok.

Everything seemed to be ok with the systems...fridge, satellite, holding tanks, etc were all working fine. The slides were a little loud but I figure it was just the extreme cold or the fact that they haven't been opened in the last 6 weeks.</span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2008, 04:25 PM   #2

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">We decided to head down to Cabela's today for a road trip. It is a little over an hour from home. We thought it would be fun way to exercise the engine and make sure the systems are all running well.

It was only about 18 degrees outside, but was warm and toasty inside with the furnace on. We were the only RV in the RV area, so we put the slides out for more room. We ran the generator, watched tv, played a game, took the dogs for walks in the exercise area, we even took a nap !! Why is was so much more than comfortble than at home I have no idea.

Oh yeah, we did a little shopping too. My DH likes the wild game in the cafe and I like the gift area. I found some nice woodsy pillows and a blanket for our guest room.

We took both dogs with us, we wanted to see how the new puppy did. She is about 11 weeks old now. She did not like us leaving her in the crate. She didn't seem to care that we left the tv and furnace on for her. We heard her barking halfway across the parking lot. I want to try to get her used to the crate before we actually start camping for the season, or we will not be making any friends this year She does pretty good in it here at home.

We are going to do a few more day trips before the start of the season and hopefully as she gets a little older she will realize it's ok.

Everything seemed to be ok with the systems...fridge, satellite, holding tanks, etc were all working fine. The slides were a little loud but I figure it was just the extreme cold or the fact that they haven't been opened in the last 6 weeks.</span>

Old 01-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #3

Hi Shannone. I think taking the rig for a drive is much better than just idling the engine in a storage area, so good for you.

We just got back from 3 days at Sequoia National Park so we could give our "bus" a run as well. It was a lot of fun, except our house was very cold when we got back. However I now have a large fire burning and it's warm enough to take of the sweater at last.

Good luck for the future traveling with your new dog--I hope she becomes an RV junkie.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:54 PM   #4

Wish we could get ours out this winter. We were able to the last few mild winters but not this year. Normal Minn. winter this year. Got five more inches of snow today after a weekend of -20 below zero. OH well one day closer to spring.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:22 AM   #5

Know what you mean,even short trips in a car helps the humdrum of winter.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:43 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by becks:
Wish we could get ours out this winter. We were able to the last few mild winters but not this year. Normal Minn. winter this year. Got five more inches of snow today after a weekend of -20 below zero. OH well one day closer to spring. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't even fathom how cold -20 is! Maybe it's because I come from a warm country, and have lived in California for the last 20 years, but I can't imagine why anyone would choose to live somewhere that got that cold. What is it that makes somewhere like that so attractive? (I'm not trying to be rude here, just extremely curious--sorry if I've offended anyone.)

Jeep Wrangler
Old 01-22-2008, 07:11 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I can't even fathom how cold -20 is! Maybe it's because I come from a warm country, and have lived in California for the last 20 years, but I can't imagine why anyone would choose to live somewhere that got that cold. What is it that makes somewhere like that so attractive? (I'm not trying to be rude here, just extremely curious--sorry if I've offended anyone.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">We've had a cold snap this week, but it isn't the norm. Our average winter temp is about 25 (above, lol). We love the four seasons here. Spring brings new leaves, pretty flowers, and that nice warm breeze. In the summer it gets hot (but not TOO hot) and we go boating, biking, hiking, swimming, etc. And just when we are tired of the hot weather....fall comes with the pretty changing leaves, trips to cider mills, wearing sweatshirts out by a bonfire or watching a football game. Then winter comes with the snow. Making snowmen with the kids, having snowball fights, sledding and tubing and then drinking hot cocoa by the fire. And just when we are sick of the cold weather spring comes and it starts all over.

I can't imagine living somewhere where everything looked the same all year round. I like to vacation in the south and am looking forward to our trip out west. But I will be happy to come back home to Michigan afterwards. </span>

Old 01-22-2008, 07:34 AM   #8

Good answer Shannone. I guess having 4 seasons is important to some people.

I, however, am quite content to go without snow the rest of my life. The exception is like we experienced this past weekend--spending the day in the snow at Sequoia National Park looking at the giant trees, but knowing that at the end of the day, I would be driving back to a place that was snow-free and moderate in temp.

As a kid I always lived near the beach in Australia and surfed 10 months in the year. Soon we are planning another move from CA to the Nevada desert where it only gets 4 inches of rain a year. A perfect snow-free zone, except in the mountains so I can look at them from afar and say "ooh, that's pretty."

Jeep Wrangler
Old 01-22-2008, 07:40 AM   #9

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">]Gary- I really think its just all what you are used to. We have relatives that moved to FL and now if it is 50 degrees outside they are freezing and totally bundled up. While we are in shorts and sweatshirts, lol.

And when we visit them in the summer there is so much heat and humidity in the air that I feel like I can't breathe.

No matter where people live, I think they should make the best of it and enjoy it. Why live in the North if you are going to hibernate all winter and why live in the South if you are going to hide in the a/c all summer ?!?!</span>

Old 01-26-2008, 04:18 PM   #10

Hey Shannone

Just heard a comedian on Comedy Central say this (the perfect response):

"Yeah, I like seasons too. That's why I love to live in a place that skips all the ****** ones."

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Jeep Wrangler