Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2007, 11:22 AM   #1

I am posting this in hopes someone else has had the same problem and found the solution. We have a HR Endeavor that has two Duo-Therm air conditioners, both model #630035321. It also has the Comfort Control thermostat with the usual 5 control buttons. Our coach has been used very little this last year due to land development hassles and moving. While the coach was not in use I exercised the generator once a month and while doing this I turned on both A/C units, one at a time, to put a load on the generator after 5 minutes of running time. All worked well and ran them for about 1/2 hour total.

Now we are settled in. We tried the A/C units on shore power and I can hear them kick on but no fan will activate. This is with both the front and rear units. It is also whether I am running both at the same time or either one by itself. On either the heat pump or the A/C the fan will not activate. I can hear the A/C unit humming but no fan. While the unit is on I can switch the fan from "auto" to "high" and I can hear a solenoid click in the A/C unit that is on but still no fan. Switch it back, same thing happens. I have left either unit on for about 5 minutes to give it time to stabilize and hopefully hear the fan come on. I have checked all breakers and fuses looking for anything that might be related to the fan and I could find nothing. All other breakers and fuses were either switched on or ok.

I called the Monaco tech line and he had me reset the system by pushing buttons on the thermostat in a certain sequence. The readout result told him the system was at least reading itself correctly. I tried the A/C again. Once again no fan. I tried the heat pump, same result.

I called Dometic and their tech stated that is not uncommon to have one unit go out and resetting the system may take care of it. But he has never heard of both units going out at the same time with exactly the same problem.

Both the tech at Monaco and the one at Dometic said this situation is rather unusual in that both units are doing the same thing. I also understand that it is next to impossible to diagnose something over the phone unless it is a common problem that has a common solution.

We are making an appointment at the Diamond Hill service center in Oregon in mid April but would like to find a solution for this problem before then. It would cut our time in Oregon down a bit and I would learn something new about our coach.

We live 4 miles from Brazel's RV here in Washington. They stated that they do not work on A/C as yet but if I find what could be the problem they will give me an assist. They are the best rv repair shop I have found other than the Monaco service center.

I apologize for not being able to supply technical info but I am basically and electrical and mechanical moron, especially where A/C units are concerned. Any information anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Larry
gasbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2007, 11:22 AM   #2

I am posting this in hopes someone else has had the same problem and found the solution. We have a HR Endeavor that has two Duo-Therm air conditioners, both model #630035321. It also has the Comfort Control thermostat with the usual 5 control buttons. Our coach has been used very little this last year due to land development hassles and moving. While the coach was not in use I exercised the generator once a month and while doing this I turned on both A/C units, one at a time, to put a load on the generator after 5 minutes of running time. All worked well and ran them for about 1/2 hour total.

Now we are settled in. We tried the A/C units on shore power and I can hear them kick on but no fan will activate. This is with both the front and rear units. It is also whether I am running both at the same time or either one by itself. On either the heat pump or the A/C the fan will not activate. I can hear the A/C unit humming but no fan. While the unit is on I can switch the fan from "auto" to "high" and I can hear a solenoid click in the A/C unit that is on but still no fan. Switch it back, same thing happens. I have left either unit on for about 5 minutes to give it time to stabilize and hopefully hear the fan come on. I have checked all breakers and fuses looking for anything that might be related to the fan and I could find nothing. All other breakers and fuses were either switched on or ok.

I called the Monaco tech line and he had me reset the system by pushing buttons on the thermostat in a certain sequence. The readout result told him the system was at least reading itself correctly. I tried the A/C again. Once again no fan. I tried the heat pump, same result.

I called Dometic and their tech stated that is not uncommon to have one unit go out and resetting the system may take care of it. But he has never heard of both units going out at the same time with exactly the same problem.

Both the tech at Monaco and the one at Dometic said this situation is rather unusual in that both units are doing the same thing. I also understand that it is next to impossible to diagnose something over the phone unless it is a common problem that has a common solution.

We are making an appointment at the Diamond Hill service center in Oregon in mid April but would like to find a solution for this problem before then. It would cut our time in Oregon down a bit and I would learn something new about our coach.

We live 4 miles from Brazel's RV here in Washington. They stated that they do not work on A/C as yet but if I find what could be the problem they will give me an assist. They are the best rv repair shop I have found other than the Monaco service center.

I apologize for not being able to supply technical info but I am basically and electrical and mechanical moron, especially where A/C units are concerned. Any information anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Larry
gasbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:53 AM   #3

Not sure, but here's my two cents worth.
I have a Coleman A/C unit.
That being said,.....

My A/C unit wasn't working (same symptoms as yours, no fan only humming).
I could get the fan to come on by manually spinning the drum fan while it was humming on initial start up.
As is somewhat common, my Dad and I found it to be the fan capacitor (which is located on the roof side of the unit on my Coleman).
Low voltage can cause the capacitor to fail.
If both of your units were subjected to low voltage (and power is the only thing that comes to mind that both of your units share), then possibly both of your capacitors are cooked.
Just my two cents, hope it helps.
Tom in Salem, MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:53 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds about like a problems I experienced - A/Cs worked on one source and not the other. Heard a clicking noise under my fridge where the inverter, fuses, wires, etc., are. I turned the units on and began moving wires (very carefully) and notice that there was an arching coming from a set of points on a change over selenoid - took it out and ordered the part from the a distributor for the part - replaced it and have not had a problem since. Just an idea.

Myron
Pace Arrow Vission - 2000
Myronlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:51 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Your problem and Tom's capacitor solution was what fixed me. It is easy to determine if the capacitor is the problem. Take the heat pump roof shroud off. The capacitors are located on the side under a sheet metal cover/box protector. If you see the capacitor(s) have melted, then that is the problem. There are two capacitors, one for the fan and one for the compressor. They are located next to each other.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:39 AM   #6
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did you try the "Fan Only" position? It would be unusual for both capacitors to go bad. Let us know the outcome.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:14 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by adj:
Did you try the "Fan Only" position? It would be unusual for both capacitors to go bad. Let us know the outcome. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

adj, the fan wont come on in any position at all, if the fan capacitor is no good.
It would be unusual for both capacitors on one unit (fan and compressor) to go bad at the same time, but it would not be unusual for both fan capacitors (one on each unit) if they were both subjected to low voltage.
And for the record, the capacitor does not need to appear melted to be fried....mine looked fine.
Tom in Salem, MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:10 AM   #8

It might be as simple as MUD DUBBERS nests. Take off the shrouds and see if you can turn the fan by hand (power off), if the fans turn easily than its most likely the fan start capicators. If its difficult or impossible to turn the fans then something is obstructing the fan or the motor bearings are shot.

2003 CC Intrigue
Periscope Man is offline   Reply With Quote