Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
A tale of two- Customer Service(s)

Today did not start out to great as our bathroom " fantastic fan" decided to call it a day. Phoned Fantastic & they diagnosed a blown circuit board. In the next breath they also immediately stepped-up and offerred to send me a new board "free". Totally unexpected! I know it has been said throughout this forum how fantastic Fantastic is... But it should be said once again.

On the other hand.... We purchased an RV roadside assistance membership from the S. Cal AAA on March 02/11. About a month ago I spent the better part of an hour in an AAA office in Phoenix trying to give them my money as a renewal for this membership. No way.... They had every excuse you can imagine for not allowing me to renew in their office... They wouldn't post date the renewal... They wouldn't honor a S. Cal membership.... They wouldn't write me a new post dated Arizona membership. Oh well....

Still determined to give AAA my money, we moved on to S.Cal and went to the La Quinta AAA today to renew our membership. However upon closer examination of the policy & benefits I learned that it would only cover towing of our RV for 40 miles & our Honda for "7" miles! Since we are full-time RVers and don't live next door to a Honda Dealer this policy was essentially worthless....did they have a policy which would make more sense? Well .......apparently we were "junior" members ( less than 1yr) & not eligible for a better policy. Well.... I explained we would be through our "probationary" membership in about 14 days so let's look a getting a better policy. Well ..... No way was this possible.....we would have to come back on March 02/12 and it could not be done before! Well..... looks like the AAA has finally convinced me that they definitely, positively do not want my money!

I don't get it. I always thought AAA was a great organization! How did it get so big with an organizational bureaucracy & abysmal customer service of this nature?

Jack & Maggie
04-Rexhall Roseair (37)
Cummins ISC / Spartan
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2012, 11:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
AAA roadside assistance in my experience was marginal for cars. For an RV you want either Coach-Net or Good Sam. ...less costly, better coverage, people who understand RVs, AND 24 hr technical assistance via telephone ...AND, my Coach-Net coverage cover all vehicles I own. Good Sam may also.

Paul (KE5LXU) ...was fulltimin', now parttimin'
'03 Winnebago UA 40e / '05 Honda Odyssey toad
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:01 AM   #3
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For Cars, AAA is usually quite good, it's 7 miles or the nearest repair facility (not necessarly a dealer) However for motor homes.. NOT all states have heavy duty towers under aaa contract so they may well not be able to provide service beyond a few gallons of fuel .

For motor homes Coach Net is better,, they also cover your towed.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:01 AM   #4
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coachnet X2
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 129K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, KVH R5 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:40 AM   #5
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Broke down on I-95 N, called AAA and after half hour they told me I was on my own. They went on to say when I got back home they would refund me the cost. I went to my home office got my money and cancelled the policey. Went to coach Net.
Mike, Janet & Duchess (cavalier King Charles)
2008 35B windsport, Brazel's rear TracBar, Koni shocks & Safe T plus steering
mikron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:40 AM   #6
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can't really comment on your AAA but again FanTastic fan is in a class of there own.
That is a great company and the service by far is second to none.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:58 AM   #7
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal
Can't really comment on your AAA but again FanTastic fan is in a class of there own.
That is a great company and the service by far is second to none.
Good Sam's ERS is great. It covers not only your rv, but all your other vehicles too. My 13 year old FanTastic quit the other day so I called support. Had me back up and running in 15 mins. Had I needed parts, they would have shipped then free. Life time guarentees are nice
jlyon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Learn something new everytime I look at the forums. Never realized that Fantastic Fan came with the lifetime warranty. Thanks for the info.
Larry [US Army-Ret/Department of the Army Civilian-Ret/DAV];with Diane [Teacher-Ret]; 'Litabit' & 'QTπ' [Westies]; 2016 Berkshire XL 40RB/380 Turbo Diesel - 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Life is GOOD
zeelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't think that they do,but they'll either give you the tech advice you need or send you the parts. I had both of my fan covers crack,the smoke one stuck closed and cracked at the actuator when when I tried to open it and the solid one just plain broke.I called Fantastic to see where I could get them locally or order them from them and he just asked me what the model numbers were and that they would be put in the mail that day. Hey that's about$40 worth of REALLY good will.

'01 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
2011 Jeep Liberty
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote