Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-26-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
two2go's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 1,034
A V-6 Gas Motorhome Engine?

Just read a review of a F-150, and the specs on the EcoBoost V-6 engine are pretty impressive. 365 HP and 420 ft-lb torque out of only 3.5 liters, and on regular gas to boot.

The Workhorse 8.1 was 340 HP and 455 ft-lb; the Ford V-10 is 362 HP and 457 ft-lb for comparison. I also see that Ford has a 6.2L V-8 with 411 HP and 434 ft-lb, but no longer shows the V-10 as an option. Have they stopped making them?

I was just musing whether the little V-6 could motivate a 26,000# GVW class A? When I am going over a 10,000 ft. mountain pass, those twin turbos just might pull stronger than my gasping-for-air 8.1. I've also been reading about a possible 8.8L replacement for the 8.1, which I suppose supports the old saying, "The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic feet."
__________________

__________________
2017 Coachmen Orion, Ford Transit 3.7L: previous
'09 Pleasure Way Lexor, '05 NRV Dolphin 5342
two2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
LVJ58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2,145
Did the review list what rpm's the max torque and max HP was developed? 3.5 liter translates to roughly 213.6 cu in.
__________________

__________________
Jim & SherrySeward

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
WeatherTodd's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 1,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by two2go View Post
Just read a review of a F-150, and the specs on the EcoBoost V-6 engine are pretty impressive. 365 HP and 420 ft-lb torque out of only 3.5 liters, and on regular gas to boot.

The Workhorse 8.1 was 340 HP and 455 ft-lb; the Ford V-10 is 362 HP and 457 ft-lb for comparison. I also see that Ford has a 6.2L V-8 with 411 HP and 434 ft-lb, but no longer shows the V-10 as an option. Have they stopped making them?

I was just musing whether the little V-6 could motivate a 26,000# GVW class A? When I am going over a 10,000 ft. mountain pass, those twin turbos just might pull stronger than my gasping-for-air 8.1. I've also been reading about a possible 8.8L replacement for the 8.1, which I suppose supports the old saying, "The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic feet."
dont be as impressed as fords marketing wants you to be. I have a few miles on the eco v6 truck and it aint "fuel efficient" by any means.
It puts up more of a fuss hauling a 3000lb 15' trailer than my 8.1.
Matter of fact... my 8.1 moho gets better gas mileage than the ecoboost v6 I use sometimes.
Ford doesnt play up the fact that max fuel economy is obtained at 45mph.
Plus Ford is being a tight ass about "ecu flashes" and similar modifications for vehicles under warranty. Im sure there is an easy 100hp/100lb ft of torque waiting to be unleashed from that engine.
__________________
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
powerboatr's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North East Texas
Posts: 3,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
dont be as impressed as fords marketing wants you to be. I have a few miles on the eco v6 truck and it aint "fuel efficient" by any means.
It puts up more of a fuss hauling a 3000lb 15' trailer than my 8.1.
Matter of fact... my 8.1 moho gets better gas mileage than the ecoboost v6 I use sometimes.
Ford doesnt play up the fact that max fuel economy is obtained at 45mph.
Plus Ford is being a tight ass about "ecu flashes" and similar modifications for vehicles under warranty. Im sure there is an easy 100hp/100lb ft of torque waiting to be unleashed from that engine.
actually the engine was designed to boost EMPTY mpg
as research shows most pickups run around empty.
my 5.4 v8 gets great empty mileage at 75mph, 18 mpg. but pulling a trailer it drops to 10- 13 at the drop of a hat
the eco boost fills that area well, but with added power when you need it, but we all know hp increases also use more fuel
i too expect a hp increase with an ecu tweak very soon, as it has been revealed the v6 is a sheep in wolfs clothing
__________________
USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2016 Expedition Toad on Hauler flat bed
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
two2go's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
Did the review list what rpm's the max torque and max HP was developed? 3.5 liter translates to roughly 213.6 cu in.
365 hp at 5000 rpm
420 ft-lb at 2500 rpm
I recall when racing engines were just achieving 100 hp/liter. Now a truck engine can do it.
__________________
2017 Coachmen Orion, Ford Transit 3.7L: previous
'09 Pleasure Way Lexor, '05 NRV Dolphin 5342
two2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:55 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
Ford doesnt play up the fact that max fuel economy is obtained at 45mph.


Don't blame Ford for the way vehicles are tested. The EPA sets the standards for the tests.
__________________
92' Holiday Rambler 1000
The wife, me and two furry kids
If you have it, a truck brought it.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:30 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Ramblin's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by two2go View Post
Just read a review of a F-150, and the specs on the EcoBoost V-6 engine are pretty impressive. 365 HP and 420 ft-lb torque out of only 3.5 liters, and on regular gas to boot.

The Workhorse 8.1 was 340 HP and 455 ft-lb; the Ford V-10 is 362 HP and 457 ft-lb for comparison. I also see that Ford has a 6.2L V-8 with 411 HP and 434 ft-lb, but no longer shows the V-10 as an option. Have they stopped making them?

I was just musing whether the little V-6 could motivate a 26,000# GVW class A? When I am going over a 10,000 ft. mountain pass, those twin turbos just might pull stronger than my gasping-for-air 8.1. I've also been reading about a possible 8.8L replacement for the 8.1, which I suppose supports the old saying, "The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic feet."
Sure. Outfit it with an 18 speed tranny with a granny gear or two, and it'll pull anything up the mountain, assuming you don't die of old age before you reach the top.
__________________
2002 National Dolphin LX 6356
Workhorse W-22 chassis
Don't believe everything you think.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
WeatherTodd's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 1,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf3504dr View Post
Don't blame Ford for the way vehicles are tested. The EPA sets the standards for the tests.
the mpg has NOTHING to do with EPA regs or tests. It was Fords only promo vids that bragged about it.

My 5.4 gets a solid 20mpg on the highway at 75mph. (with 26 gallons of gas)
__________________
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:41 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
the mpg has NOTHING to do with EPA regs or tests. It was Fords only promo vids that bragged about it.

My 5.4 gets a solid 20mpg on the highway at 75mph. (with 26 gallons of gas)

Yes I understand it's in the Ford ads, but they base that figure on the EPA tests. The auto makers can't just pull a number out of thin air anymore, it must come from the EPA if they want to "brag" about it in their ads.
__________________
92' Holiday Rambler 1000
The wife, me and two furry kids
If you have it, a truck brought it.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:17 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
WeatherTodd's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 1,142
black... I think you are misunderstanding EPA ratings versus "truth in marketing".
I dont know of any pickup truck buying consumer that checks EPA ratings before purchasing.
I clearly remember their vids and commercials saying "V8 power with v6 fuel economy". Thats simply not the case. Ford even had competitors trucks drag racing each other with a trailer load.
__________________

__________________
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gas, motorhome



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best gas engine mward3 Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 21 12-29-2011 05:07 AM
Ford-Built Diesel Maximizes 2011 Super Duties Productivity DriVer RV Industry Press 24 06-09-2010 05:29 AM
Old rear gas engine chassis' PushingaBigLoad Vintage RV's 7 03-29-2008 07:53 PM
Workhorse Engine Light Bud10 MH-General Discussions & Problems 12 07-24-2006 03:43 PM
Workhorse Gas Motorhome Chassis Guide DriVer Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 69 04-05-2006 12:25 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.