Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2008, 06:46 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
We had a customer leave our dealership this morning for a six week trip out west with family to include his 11 year old granddaughter. He want to use the rest room and pulled off the side of the highway. Put the coach in neutral and went midship. What he forgot to do was to set the parking brake and while away from the wheel the coach rolled off the shoulder and into an imbankment. THe granddaughter tried to steer the coach but at her young age was not experienced enough to know what to do. Luckily she was not hurt. The damage is significant to the point that the trip was cancelled. The customer made it back to the delaership where we and his insurance company will get it repaired.
Please folks be careful this summer and think safety.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
We had a customer leave our dealership this morning for a six week trip out west with family to include his 11 year old granddaughter. He want to use the rest room and pulled off the side of the highway. Put the coach in neutral and went midship. What he forgot to do was to set the parking brake and while away from the wheel the coach rolled off the shoulder and into an imbankment. THe granddaughter tried to steer the coach but at her young age was not experienced enough to know what to do. Luckily she was not hurt. The damage is significant to the point that the trip was cancelled. The customer made it back to the delaership where we and his insurance company will get it repaired.
Please folks be careful this summer and think safety.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:56 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Mike,

I have one question, is he a newbie? Why put it in neutral and not park. At least no one was hurt except someone's pride. Yes everyone be careful out there this summer.

Jim
Renegades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:06 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
That's heartbreaking stuff. One lesson I have learned in life: The best lessons in life either hurt the most, or cost the most.

Glad everyone was OK.

Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:31 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The ironic part is this person is a very seasoned motorhomer with a 5 digit FMCA member number 75xxx. He was very excited about the trip and could have been distracted. I feel so bad for him and his family.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:44 AM   #6

Hey Jim (Renegade). . . long time no see . . . Anyway, Mike, it was a DP right. He put the Allison in nuetral but did not pull out the air park brake?

By the way, Mike. Where are you folks these days?

We're in Pigeon Forge until November.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:12 AM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Why put it in neutral and not park. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it's diesel pusher, there is no park.

Only neutral.

You have to pull the yellow air brake parking knob out.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:33 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">very seasoned motorhomer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At least he remembered to pull off the highway. Ever hear the joke about the motorhome driver that put cruise control on and got up to make himself a sandwich??

Does the phrase "very seasoned motorhomer" mean elderly?? My wife thinks I'm starting to slip up occasionally!

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:57 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I'm surprised that the system didn't beep and alert him that it was in neutral and the park brake wasn't on. Mine does that.

It reminds me of one time when I refueled at truck pumps, then pulled ahead to allow the guy behind me the chance to fuel while I went in and paid. I did park the coach, let it idle, and pulled the yellow park brake. I got out of the seat and the next thing I know Leann is yelling at me "we're rolling backwards!". Actually it just looked that way because the truck next to us was starting to pull forward and she had no frame of reference looking out the window. She'll never live that one down.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:25 AM   #10

A lot of accidents happen when people get in a hurry or take short cuts to do things.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:37 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by full-timer:
A lot of accidents happen when people get in a hurry or take short cuts to do things.This is why most seasoned RV people allow either incoming or departing rigs to do so without interference or excessive goodbyes or greetings.There is a time more appropriate for that.

Joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:14 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cruzer:
I'm surprised that the system didn't beep and alert him that it was in neutral and the park brake wasn't on. Mine does that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ditto. It saved me once when I first bought my coach. I thought I engaged the parking brake, but didn't.

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:11 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The coach was a 99 Monaco DP. I am not sure it that year has a warning for no brake set in neutral. His insurance agent came out yesterday and serveyed the damage and we are working up an estimate for repairs. At least no one was hurt.
Lew, I have sent you a PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:18 AM   #14

I can add that my '98 Dutch Star (Spartan chassis) has no such alarm.

There have been occasions when I have been in traffic jams where I've gone into nuetral to wait without setting the parking brake. I've never heard an alarm. Until I read this thread, I didn't know there was an alarm!

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote