Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #15

Another option is the Super C's. Nexus and Jayco make a pretty nice ~36 footer.

JohnnyB

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2014, 07:46 PM   #16

Wink You are safer in a C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
The view out the front of a class A is a lot nicer in my opinion. Also the front seats are really great. We've had both and prefer the class A. We also sit a lot higher than the class C and feel safer, especially in case of a head on collision...we are above the engine, not behind it.

I have to disagree. If you are looking for safety you won't find it in an A vs a C. C's come with air bags, A's do not. Having the frame and engine in front of you is far superior to sitting on top of the engine in an A and don't get me started on what that enormous Class A windshield is likely to do to you in a front end collision.

There are pro's and con's between A's and C's, usually comes down to floor plan preferences but for sheer safety it is no contest, the C wins hands down.

As always.... opinions and YMMV.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:06 PM   #17

Look at Super-C's. Lots of storage like a class A, have a bigger real truck cab with lot of room compared to a class C, regular doors to get in and out, easiest of all to work on engine, and most are built with higher quality materials like higher end class A. Most are diesel and have plenty of towing capacity.

Only drawback is Super-C ride a bit rougher, being based on medium duty truck chassis. Also cost will be more than a typical class C, and more or less than class A since there are so many variables for class A.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:46 PM   #18

ShowHauler 45 Footer

I am the proud owner of a ShowHauler Super C.

The attributes that attracted my wife and I to this type of RV:

1. Safety of a Commercial Truck Chassis; 3 doors with 2 emergency escape windows
2. Custom Made to each owners needs
3. Amazing Power and Torque; 600 HP and 2250 ft-lb Torque; Drivetrain rated to pull 140,000# as used on certain off-road applications
4. Superb reliability; Ease of Engine Access; Chassis can be repaired anywhere in the US since it is a Long Haul vehicle
5. Cost was comparable to a Newmar Dutch Star
6. 40,000# hitch capacity. With a 54,700# Max chassis carrying capacity, this equals 94,700# total
7. 7'8" ceiling height

There are some CON's to provide a balanced report:

1. Less sq ft, driver/passenger seats are used for driving only
2. As noted, a rougher ride due to leaf spring front suspension; However a much more direct feeling and better control of the vehicle in demanding situations
3. Generally not as luxurious appointments, although available
4. The 'look' of the vehicle is quite commercial. Not as pretty as a high-end Class A bus

When folks who see a 45 ft Super C for the first time, they are very inquisitive and amazed at the capabilities and size. This type of motorhome was originally used for Race Car Teams and Corporate Use, but they are becoming more mainstream, albeit slowly.

JohnnyB
Old 10-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #19

Main turnoff for a C is the lack of leveling jacks.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunsje View Post
I am the proud owner of a ShowHauler Super C.

The attributes that attracted my wife and I to this type of RV:

1. Safety of a Commercial Truck Chassis; 3 doors with 2 emergency escape windows
2. Custom Made to each owners needs
3. Amazing Power and Torque; 600 HP and 2250 ft-lb Torque; Drivetrain rated to pull 140,000# as used on certain off-road applications
4. Superb reliability; Ease of Engine Access; Chassis can be repaired anywhere in the US since it is a Long Haul vehicle
5. Cost was comparable to a Newmar Dutch Star
6. 40,000# hitch capacity. With a 54,700# Max chassis carrying capacity, this equals 94,700# total
7. 7'8" ceiling height

There are some CON's to provide a balanced report:

1. Less sq ft, driver/passenger seats are used for driving only
2. As noted, a rougher ride due to leaf spring front suspension; However a much more direct feeling and better control of the vehicle in demanding situations
3. Generally not as luxurious appointments, although available
4. The 'look' of the vehicle is quite commercial. Not as pretty as a high-end Class A bus

When folks who see a 45 ft Super C for the first time, they are very inquisitive and amazed at the capabilities and size. This type of motorhome was originally used for Race Car Teams and Corporate Use, but they are becoming more mainstream, albeit slowly.

JohnnyB
Umm, no offense...but for most of us that is complete overkill. Most of those specs have no meaning or value to me.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Main turnoff for a C is the lack of leveling jacks.
I think most new high quality C's have leveling jacks. Ours did. Although they were HWH jacks and were very temperamental.

I do feel most Class A's have better leveling jacks due to the higher ride height.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:33 AM   #22

Big Foot's

ShowHauler, Renegade, and Haulmark use Big Foot leveling jacks. Each jack is rated at 20,000#. I routinely lift the entire coach with the wheels about 4" off the ground to wash the underside or to do inspections and maintenance.

It all depends on the cost of the jacks. Mine were an $6900 option.

I completely understand the overkill comment. I prefer to have large safety margins on axles, tires, and power. We travel cross-country and have relatives in Vail, CO. Vail Pass at 11,400 feet is no problem.

JohnnyB
Old 10-15-2014, 06:35 AM   #23

Johnny - how did you get the 1850 TQ bumped up to 2250????
Old 10-15-2014, 07:32 AM   #24

PM Sent
Old 10-15-2014, 08:55 AM   #25

Update: My ShowHauler has 2050 ft-kb torque. My bad.

JohnnyB
Old 10-15-2014, 02:08 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
A vs C

I drive a special needs school bus 45 hours and 1200 miles a week, and they are built either on Class A bus frames or Class B van/pickup frames. I do not know a single professional driver who would choose to drive the Class C chassis version.

Visibility is greatly hampered in the C's, driver comfort is seriously lessened, and speaking for our fleet of 65 special needs buses, the class C's are known as shop queens, spending significantly more down time then class A's. (Obviously that's not the terminology we use, we call them full size and twinkies)

I don't know of a single driver in my district, over 180 drivers of special and general ed buses who had ever stated a preference for the class C chassis.

Now motorhomes obviously have many other issues that determine their desirability and advantages, floor plan being a huge consideration. While we are currently in the market for a replacement motorhome, the wife knows not to bother checking out the class C's because my bias against the chassis is so strong.

That last part is just my personal opinion of motorhomes, the former comments are the professional attitudes of the 180 commercial drivers I know concerning the chassis only.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:30 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had three customers who drove class A's and had wrecks. All three cars were totaled. All three car drivers were hospitalized. Not one driver of the motorhome was even scratched. (all three accidents were caused by the car drivers) My suggestion is to pull a car up to the front of the class A. If you check you will find that the hood of the car is below the floor of the motorhome. That means the car will come in under you. A class C is lower and visibility is not as good. I will take a class A every time. Working on the engine in a C is really tight. Also my number one complaint from the ladies was foot room. Try sitting with your feet 3 inches apart all day long and see how happy you are.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:10 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT View Post
Umm, no offense...but for most of us that is complete overkill. Most of those specs have no meaning or value to me.
Might seem like overkill to you but for those of us trying to research the differences between truck conversions and quality diesel pushers I want to hear more about the differences of those who have owned both.

We have owned 6 diesel pushers and have never been fully content with the drive. Amount other things they are geared for an optimal crusing speed of 62 mph+/- and you pay a big fuel penalty to try and run the posted speed limit.

When our boys were still racing the truck conversion families that we ran with would consistently get 3-4 mpg better than we did with their 12 liter engines than we did with our 8.9liter ISL.

Visibility is hard for me to discount as I would rate the Volvo VNL or the Freightliner Cascadia excellent and the side mirror package of the TC's simply cannot be beat.

Imo the truck conversions are not really class c or even super c motorhomes. You sit just as high as a class A and the capability is astounding. It would be nice to take your hobby interest with you (motorcycles, RZR, etc) plus a run around car all nice and clean in an enclosed trailer.

Other positives is better resale value as the sportsmen racers always need a good tow rig for their hobby and these million mile chassis will deliver.

Downsides are that the last few years have been breakthrough years for the TC's and its hard to find an older one that competes with popular class A pushers in terms of features or livability.

Thanks for all the input, I really do appreciate the experience on this board.