Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-10-2014, 11:11 PM   #1
A vs C

We are retired in good health and ready to make the plunge! Having a hard time deciding on the right Motorhome. We will use the Motorhome in the winter in the (Lower 48") snow birds and bring it home to Alaska in the summer. We have found the floor plan and make in both the A's and the C's. Time frame 2 months in the fall and 3-4 months in the winter before returning north. My question to you is will we be more comfortable in a class A or C? Driving is not a problem as I drove commercial 43 years. Thanks for your thoughts.

Fishhogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2014, 11:23 PM   #2
A has better front living space. Some people are really uncomfortable in the front of the bus. That makes the cozier, safer, C cab more desirable.

nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:31 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The view out the front of a class A is a lot nicer in my opinion. Also the front seats are really great. We've had both and prefer the class A. We also sit a lot higher than the class C and feel safer, especially in case of a head on collision...we are above the engine, not behind it.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:35 AM   #4
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We have had 2 class-C's, 26' and 31', that were used as family campers when our kids were growing up. They towed a boat or a large bike rack, and served their purpose just fine. However, now that our kids are grown, and we have recently retired, our current class-A serves our needs much better. We travel the same way you have stated you will, and we appreciate the W22 chassis for the better ride, more basement storage, heated tanks and compartments, double-paned windows, and especially the combination of the 8.1 engine with the allison transmission. Our coach is only 33' in length, so it is easy to get in and out of most campgrounds. During inclement weather, we can keep the slides in and have enough room. Look at some mid-sized class-A's before making your decision, we sure are glad we did. Good luck, hope to meet you along the way!

Bruce & Judy, living the dream in Salida, CO!
2005 Nat'l Dolphin W22 Chassis, 2004 Jeep Liberty
"Let's Roll 'em, Let's Roll 'em!"
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:06 AM   #5
Comparing apples to oranges, a 31' class C has less living space then a 31' class A. That 3-4' in front of the windshield is not living space. Storage space & load capacity are also in favor of a class A. And if you want even more load capacity & smoother ride get a class A with a tag axle.
HuntingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:42 AM   #6
Not sure about your circumstances, but in our case, bigger is better. We started with a 31" Coachman Class C, then went to a 37' Diesel Bounder then went to a 40' Tiffin, and finally the 43' Tiffin. In our case it was for room, but also for amenities. We wanted tile because we fish Alaska (Valdez). We wanted real wood because damage to plastic wrapped particle board can't be fixed. We wanted the second big bathroom and shower because..., well, you get it. In each case, bigger meant heavier and longer, so we're where we are now. Love this coach and will not be looking for anything else, but it's been an expensive journey. Sorta like a garage, it's never big enough.

Do some serious consideration of your present lifestyle and what you want out of your rig, then go for whatever you decide and enjoy.
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 Toad
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:51 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
You talking gas or Diesel?
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:05 AM   #8
Originally Posted by Fishhogg View Post
We are retired in good health and ready to make the plunge! Having a hard time deciding on the right Motorhome. We will use the Motorhome in the winter in the (Lower 48") snow birds and bring it home to Alaska in the summer. We have found the floor plan and make in both the A's and the C's. Time frame 2 months in the fall and 3-4 months in the winter before returning north. My question to you is will we be more comfortable in a class A or C? Driving is not a problem as I drove commercial 43 years. Thanks for your thoughts.
I have owned both A and C and prefer the A ride and storage. How about combining the 2 and buy a Thor Ace (class A. class C. Evolution) Has the class A chassis with all the storage and a electric drop down bunk over the cab. Great for the Grandchildren. Our Family loves ours. The Forest River FR3 (ACE clone) is also a very nice unit and worth checking them both out
Ted E
2013 Thor ACE 29.2
Ted E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:54 AM   #9
Having been the route of the Class A and C in the past, we no longer need to pull our racecar trailer behind, so we are now going with a fifth wheel...
Main reason is that if there are problems with the driveline or engine, your entire HOME is in the shop vs. just leaving the house in the park and have the truck towed in. Worse case scenario, we can replace one or the other (truck or trailer) if necessary...
Between the class C and the class A, I found that the maintenance on the C was easier and could be done in my driveway. Class A not so easily. Your mileage may vary with your capabilities.
If you have to relegate the maintenance to a shop, you will always pay more in a truck shop than you will any other.. Class A will almost always require a full truck shop.
Regards - Randy & Dar
2015 F350 CrewCab DRW 6.7/409 PSD - 2008 Rage'n Stryker 4005 fifth-wheel Toy Hauler - 2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail-XT SxS just-4-grins
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:37 PM   #10
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have owned both Class C and A. I prefer the Class A when it comes to working on it. Has more room around the engine.

Plus as others have said it has more storage, more usable space, and sits up higher for a better view on the road.
1999 Bounder 34J, V-10, F53 chassis, Banks Power System, Safe T Plus Steering Control.
golfpgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:10 PM   #11
Although we have a class A diesel pusher and love it, my suggestion would be which floor plan do you love the best and will be the most comfortable in? Best of luck on your choice.

Happy RV'ing
George and Brenda
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan with CAT7
2013 Honda Fit
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:08 PM   #12
Monaco Owners Club
We owned a 31' Class C Maverick by Georgie Boy. It was a good beginning coach for us and we had it for 11 years ~68K miles.

We now own a 2002 Monaco Windsor 38PKD which both me and my wife love. It is hands down a better way to travel.

The biggest difference for me are

Driving the Class A is substantially better then the Class C, the engine noise and confined space of the Class C made it exhausting to drive. Visibility wasn't that great in the Class C. The driving range of the Class C was ~400 miles, the Class A is +800miles which gives us the ability to shop for better fuel prices.

The Class C had a lot less storage. There was 1 pass through compartment in the back but limited other basement storage. Minimal cabinet and closet space in the Class C's. We have 2 large pass through compartments in the Class A and lots of cabinet & closet storage.

The Class C's in general don't have the battery capacity for dry camping or inverters to appliances or TV's for any length of time. Class A's provide more flexibility in regards to power capability. I also have ~320 watts of Solar panels on my roof which provide fairly good battery charging. If we don't have to run AC or Heat we can go days without running generator if we are boon docking. After a full days drive we have plenty of battery capacity to take care of lighting, TV, etc.

The general living area of the Class A's provide for more space and if you are planning to be in the RV any lengths of time this is a must. After a period of time a Class C gets cramped. Think about having to be cooped up in it for 3-4 days straight due to cold rainy weather. Class A's provide far more space.

Lastly, our Windsor IMHO is a top of the line coach. The Roadmaster chassis has 8 airbags and it rides and drives like a dream. The exterior has a 4 color paint scheme which still stands up against the new coaches. The interior has solid Walnut cabinetry with Corian countertops. We've traveled in it for +3 months straight & when I relocated for a job lived in it for +6 months. It's the only way to travel.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:18 PM   #13
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our first RV was a C which we loved and now we have an A which we love. Really it is a personal choice as to which is better for what your needs are. If both have the floor plan you want your gonna have to just make a choice.

In our C the cab area the dogs hung out in looking out the window. In the A they do the same but with a larger dash I have caught them standing on it looking out the window... that didn't thrill me one bit but it is what it is and fixed that with putting mouse traps on it to keep them off.

Good luck on your choice.
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:48 PM   #14

Class C has air bags!

dezi is offline   Reply With Quote