Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2010, 11:25 AM   #1

A weight question

We have an 08 Allegro 32LA, Ford. When we first got it we loaded it and took it to a feed store where we had the front and real axle and the whole coach weighed. Everything was well within limits. The front axle was 6880. The specs indicate a 7000 lb limit on the front. Last week we took a short trip to get ready for the spring/summer travel season and had it weighed at a truck stop. We were able to weigh the coach with toad attached and got the toad weight, rear axle, front axle and whole coach weight. Again all were well within limits except the front axle is now 7280. Actually, we could add about 1800 more and still not exceed the ccc. We haven't added anything to the front of the coach that would have increased the weight by 400 lbs. There just doesn't seem to be anything we can move to the rear since there is not much left in the front. I am concerned that perhaps the truck stop weight could not be correct and guess we will weigh the coach without the toad, although I'm not sure that should make any difference.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
RJ
RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2010, 12:18 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I am sure I am just stating the obvious, but, was the driver and passenger in the unit at both weighings? Was the difference between the front and rear values the same at both weighing locations? Are you sure the unit was level while weighing the front and rear? Are you towing 4 down?

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:40 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Water tank full? Holding tanks? Propane? Liquids add weight fast!!
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:57 PM   #4

If anything there was less weight that the first time we weighed but not a big difference.. First time water tanks were full but 2nt time about 1/3. Also had wife up front but she weighs far less than 400 lbs. We were a little to the left on the scale. Could that make a difference?

Thanks,
RJ
Old 03-30-2010, 01:40 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
For weighing front and rear I would be more concerned about level fore and aft. How large is your water tank? I think water is 8.5 pounds per gallon, someone will correct me! Although you said the second time was less water and you weighed more!

Old 03-30-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Water is 8.33 #/gallon. Did you have a bunch of water in a tank aft of the rear axle when you weighed it the first time? Also why would the first scales be right and the last set were not correct? I would come closer to trusting the truck stop scales.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:13 PM   #7

2nd weight was the truck stop which I do trust more. The first time we weighed at the feed store the water tank was full but can't see how that would cause more weight on the front axle since the tank is in the rear.

Guess we will get a 3rd weight but it still heavy in the front guess the wife will have to ride in the rear of the coach.

Thanks,
RJ
Old 03-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
TXiceman asked you if the water tank is aft of the rear axle. If it is it could explain the difference. As others have probably told you, four corner weights are what you need. In addition to having a heavy front end you could have one side a lot heavier too. This could require a considerable difference in the tire pressure derived from just dividing the axle weight by two.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:45 AM   #9

Flagelpater,

The water tank is aft of the rear axle and was about 1/3 full the last weighing at the truck stop. The first weighing at the feed store it was full. The rear axle weights have always been well within limits and according to the charts I could run 80psi but I usually run 87 to be on the safe side. On the front I try for 92 psi. Max is 95 psi.

I would like to get a 4 corner weight but don't see how I could do so at the two places I've been. I live in Texas (outside of Ft. Worth) and the truck stops in this area don't do 4 corner weights. Any suggestions?

I keep trying to identify anything I can move to the rear but most everything now is bolted down.

Thanks,
RJ
Old 03-31-2010, 07:58 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJEV View Post

I would like to get a 4 corner weight but don't see how I could do so at the two places I've been. I live in Texas (outside of Ft. Worth) and the truck stops in this area don't do 4 corner weights. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
RJ
RJ,

The scale near me, Pilot truck Stop, has many platforms to drive onto but will only do total axles. However, there is room to maneuver the coach side to side such that I can plant the front left and rear left wheels on two different scale platforms to get one weight. Then reposition the coach so that the right front and right rear wheels are on the scales for another weight. Costs twice as much but each weight is only $9 so I can get four corner weight's for $18.

I plan to have my cargo trailer with me also and get both tongue and cargo weight's for the trailer too, there's enough platforms to include those into one of the previous scale weight's so I don't have to pay another $9 for the trailer. Obviously, I will need to unhook the trailer from the coach to get a true weight.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:12 AM   #11

Richard,

Thanks for the info.

The Pilot near me is where I last weighed and will check if your suggestion is possible there. The way it is set up one has to lean out the drivers window to reach the intercom to request a weight and I don't think I can get far enough to the right to get the wheels off and still reach the intercom and I also think there is a concrete guide ramp which would prevent wheels off the ramp but will check.

Thanks again
RJ
Old 03-31-2010, 08:21 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
A large majority of the motorhomes have the fresh water tank under the bed and is aft or to the rear of the rear axle. Adding 30 gallons of water at 8.33#/gallon is over 240# of weight behind the rear axle. Now think of a see-saw and when you add weight to one end, it lifts the other. Also think of a lever and how you can use it to multiply the effect of a force.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:12 PM   #13

Thanks. I really don't want to carry that much water but guess it's better than being overloaded on the front. I'll try and reweigh.

RJ
Old 03-31-2010, 02:28 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Find a Texas DPS office and talk with a weights and mesurements trooper. They have the portable scales and have offered to weigh my four corners.

Also, all scales whether its at the co-op (feed store) or the truck stop are calibrated and checked on a regular basis by weights and measurements in the state of Texas. They are all certified scales and thats not to say one of the scales you weighed on didn't go haywire the day you were there.