Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2015, 08:37 AM   #1

A word to the wise on buying and installing batteries

I had bought a used MH with 2 12volt house batteries that kept running down to the point I thought they were both bad. Taking them out i found one to well before the other. I suspect the prior owner bought these two batteries and installed them without equalizing them causeing more of a drain on one then the other.

Since you are spending some good money on those new batteries don't just put them in the rig without egualizeing them because you may just be harming them, or at least one of them, and wasting some life expectance and money.

So hook them up before putting them in the rig, let them settle in and then charge them as a bank before putting them into use.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2015, 08:41 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Equalizing batteries?

We just bought two batteries this weekend. Waiting for snow to melt to put them in. Will wait for other responses, but do not know what "equalizing" batteries means.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:43 AM   #3

I too would like to know more details of equalizing batteries. I have never heard of this before.
SrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:52 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Here is a good read on battery equalization.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2 | YouTube | Twitter
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:10 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
This refers to high sulfation. I assume this would not apply to AGM batteries?
RVNewbie55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:37 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I cannot conceive of any reason to do an equalizing charge on new battery(s). "Equalizing" is done to remove accumulated sulfur deposits (aka sulfation) that may come from heavy use. Any new battery that has that problem ought to be returned as defective.

http://www.trojanbattery.com/Battery...qualizing.aspx

Most AGM battery makers do not recommend equalizing, but a few allow it. Check your battery manufacturer web site if you have an AGM type battery.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:48 PM   #7
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
Here is a good read on battery equalization.
Good info, thanks.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:07 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Good info, thanks.
You bet. I learned something there too. Tossed a lot of batteries I might have been able to save.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2 | YouTube | Twitter
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:39 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Perhaps the OP misunderstood what an equalize charge really means. It can happen.

I would suggest that testing the batteries to verify they are nearly equal in charge might be the way to go first. I would think that if they are within .2V of each other that would be close enough. If buying locally from store stock simply take a multi-meter along on the shopping trip to find a "balanced" set.

If one wanted to ensure all new batteries were up to the same charge I would suggest simply using the same charger to bring them up to the same charge level. That would be a good time to water them up if needed to ensure equal charging.

One could even go so far as to have new batteries load tested upon purchase. That might really be overkill.

One other thought. If you have a good multi stage charger with a BULK charge I would think that would be sufficient to bring all batteries up to the same level.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:58 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNewbie55 View Post
This refers to high sulfation. I assume this would not apply to AGM batteries?
All batteries can sulfate, including AGMs.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:11 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsperfect View Post
I had bought a used MH with 2 12volt house batteries that kept running down to the point I thought they were both bad. Taking them out i found one to well before the other. I suspect the prior owner bought these two batteries and installed them without equalizing them causeing more of a drain on one then the other.
You do not understand equalization or what it does.

To equalize two batteries in parallel as to state of charge simply use them, one cycle, charge and discharge.

IF one battery starts at a lower SOC then it will either charge off the higher one (if different enough) or the higher one will provide all the current, or nearly all, till the SOC is equalized.

And when you charge, the lower one will suck nearly all the charge till it catches up with the higher one.

And from that point on the SOC of the two batteries will be locked together, Perfect lock step. Can not be otherwise.

What happens, any time you put two batteries together, Even if they are CONSECUITVE serial numbers,, they are not exactly the same.. one will ALWAYS fail before the other.. ALWAYS. Might be an hour different, a Day, week, 10 years (I had one on a car once fail in a week, the identical replacement 10 years).

This is true of all batteries,, and even if it is a single battery,,,, usually only one or two cells fail. Not all of them,, but of course you can not replace just one or two.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:45 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I cannot conceive of any reason to do an equalizing charge on new battery(s)
Likewise ...I equalize my house batteties after several years use when the batteries begin losing their charge faster than they should. New ones I install and use as normal.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:56 AM   #13

Agree--think OP has confused equalizing with balancing a bank of batteries. Motor home mag had a good article a few years ago about how to "optimize" batteries within a bank to ensure equal load across the bank. Mostly involved making sure connecting cables were of similar length but the key, according to them, was to either use a buss bar or to connect the plus and minus cables from your rig to the opposite ends of the bank--this allows current to be drawn equally thru the entire bank. Hooking yr rig to first or last battery in the bank [last two if 6-volts in series] puts more load on that/those battery[s].
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsperfect View Post
Taking them out i found one to well before the other. .
What does this mean?

we are buying two new batteries for ours this summer so I am interested.

Tags
batteries, install