Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2006, 07:58 AM   #1
HKB

The dash light indicating a failed ABS on my 2000 Ford motorhome came on during a trip to the mountains last month. Looking for information on how this may be corrected and the location of the control module.
HKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2006, 07:58 AM   #2
HKB

The dash light indicating a failed ABS on my 2000 Ford motorhome came on during a trip to the mountains last month. Looking for information on how this may be corrected and the location of the control module.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:03 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Hello HKB,

Welcome to iRV2, we're really glad to have you here as a new member and are looking forward to reading your posts about your RVing experiences and adventures in your Ford motorhome. You'll find a great bunch of folks on this site who are very knowledgeable of RVing, the rigs we use, and the places we go in them.

Before you tear into it, make sure the ABS sensor located on the rear axle is good. They're notorious for failure on the Fords.

On many Ford chassis the same sensor will provide signal for the speedometer, if you also are having speedo issues I'd bet $$$ that sensor is bad. Having said that, your speedo may get its signal elsewhere, I'm not sure.

As you'll see, they're eager to help and share their knowledge and experiences with others.

Again, welcome to iRV2, we're glad you joined.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:55 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HKB:
The dash light indicating a failed ABS on my 2000 Ford motorhome came on during a trip to the mountains last month. Looking for information on how this may be corrected and the location of the control module. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine seems to fail after I cross the rough pavement on Rte 60 west of Tampa Florida. My F53 is in the shop for the second time in a month for this repair. I guess I'll have to pay attention and pick up a spare ABS sensor so I can take care of this myself once the warranty on the repair is over.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:46 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On my 1999 F53 the rear ABS sensor does NOT drive the speedometer. I had one go out a couple of years ago and the spedo still worked. It is quite easy to replace.

1999 Chieftain 35U
RonTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 02:21 PM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Yep, an easy and cheap fix if that's what's causing the light. There's many other reasons, the sensor is the most common.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:51 PM   #7
HKB

Can anyone tell me exactly where this sinsor is located on the rear axle?
Old 09-04-2006, 02:54 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, on the top of the housing that the drive shaft goes into.

1999 Chieftain 35U
RonTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 03:00 AM   #9
HKB

Thanks Ron.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:43 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RonTon:
On my 1999 F53 the rear ABS sensor does NOT drive the speedometer. I had one go out a couple of years ago and the spedo still worked. It is quite easy to replace. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, I know my '04 only has one speed sensor of any type for rear wheel speed. The traditional spot for an Output Shaft Sensor (used to calculate vehicle speed) on the 4R100 is on the tailshaft housing. Trouble is the parking brake replaces it and leaves no room for a sensor. This makes our engine processor unique to motorhomes. They lack the circuit to read the OSS, and instead have the ability to recieve vehicle speed from the ABS module.

I'll have to look at the '99 schematics tomorrow at work. If it was different, the processor was different too, hmmm...

... Yup, just one speed sensor on the '99, on the rear axle. The speedo probably still worked when it failed based on the the PCM knowing it was not working and being able to calculate speed from engine rpm and transmission gear. I'd have to look how the failure mode works to be 100% sure.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:09 AM   #11
HKB

Thanks to all for your help. Replaced the sensor as suggested and now light is out. Total cost $24.00