Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #1

Abs light stays illuminated

What could cause the ABS light to remain illuminated on the instrument panel. Will not go off. Is this likely to be a minor expense item or a big ticket item?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Possibilities could be as simple as dirty sensors which if you are handy you can remove from the back side of the wheel. Mine will come on if it rains hard enough and I get water in the compartment where the control module is. Hopefully I have cured my leak as mine has not turned on lately. Another thought would be to reseat the connections on the control unit. After that it starts getting more expensive.

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:06 AM   #3

Most likely a dirty sensor......however your slack adjusters may also need a slight adjustment. From a level position ....release the emergency brake (yellow button in) and apply full brakes (hold each time for a couple of seconds) around 6 times. This should reset or adjust your automatic slack adjusters and may help with your ABS idiot light .
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:29 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Check your fluid level.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:58 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
well bdpreece where is that compartment? Mine comes on when wet as well and when dry will be off on next start. OP what kind of coach?
conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
We had a Freightliner chassis on a previous coach and had the same problem. Gaffney discovered the sensor had slipped a bit and simple re-positioned and tightened it. Problem solved.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I found out that the different Brake systems operate a little differently. You may have to approach the readjustment in a different manner. It might help with suggestions if we knew who manufactured your brake system Controller/Sensors? For instance, on a Freightliner XB Chassis I previously had, the brake light would come on, and required a good tap with a rubber mallet to reseat the sensor. Good luck.
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
My abs light stayed on. I went to josam in Orlando. They checked the system out. Nothing wrong. The computer had no error codes. On my coach there is a reset button. They reset it and hasn't been on since.
I have a 2001 diplomat 38A
Old 03-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by conmoto View Post
well bdpreece where is that compartment? Mine comes on when wet as well and when dry will be off on next start. OP what kind of coach?
On mine the control is in the outside compartment directly under the driver. Your coach may or may not be the same. I was finding water in this compartment after heavy rains. Never did figure out where the water came from for sure I just sealed everything I could think of and finally no more water in the compartment and no more intermittent ABS light. I suspect it was coming from the drivers side window as when I tightened all the screws around the window on the inside almost all were loose and several were really loose.

BD
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #10
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Make, model, and year? My 08 HR Endeavor had the same issue. Thought it might be the connectors over the back axel. Cleaned those and it worked for a time. Same problem again. Found the front sensors can be pulled out from the inside with pliars. Found a big gob of grease on the end of them. Cleaned and reseated. Never had the issue since. My rear sensors are not accessible from the outside. Some have had issues after a tire change due to ?? somehow knocking them out of position.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Ours happened to stay on until we fixed a leak on the cruise control. No more light since we fixed that leak.
What make, model and year RV do you have? More information on what you have will help us figure out what may be the culprit.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:18 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryl822 View Post
What could cause the ABS light to remain illuminated on the instrument panel. Will not go off. Is this likely to be a minor expense item or a big ticket item?
i need more info about your rv.
you can add this info to your signature block.
on my moho, there is a 30 amp fuse for the abs on the vehicle fuse panel under the hood.
if that fuse is blown or does not have a good connection, my abs light will be on.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:11 AM   #13

x2 on needing more info on the MH. first things first like anything else start with the basics. Start with visual checks. do you have abs front and rear? if so crawl underneath and somewhere in the viscinity of the inside of the front steering knuckle or coming out of your backing plate or dust shield on the rear axle there should be a short pigtail off of the abs sensor to a connector at each one. seperate the connector and check for corrosion. apply some dialectric grease and reconnect. the factory does not apply any dialectric grease when they are brand new so now is a good time to do it while your checking. follow all your cables up to the abs module and check the connections there also. once you know they're all good take it for a quick ride. usually you need to drive 5 to 10 mph to reset the abs light if its a stored fault. if this didnt work break out the multimeter and set it to ohms and disconnect your abs sensors at the wheels again and ohm out the abs sensors with the multimeter. when you un plug the sensor you will see two terminals inside the plug. ohm out the two terminals and record the reading. now go test the other three and compare the readings. they should all be within the same readings plus or minus a few ohms. if you have one that has no reading or the meter reads O.L. you found your bad sensor. if they all ohm out the same jack up the MH so the tire is off the ground. have someone spin the wheel while you ohm out the sensor. the ohms on the multimeter should change like crazy indicating the tone ring is making contact with the sensor. if multimeter doesnt fluctuate you may have an abs sensor out of adjustment. on the rear you may have to pull the hub assembly and slide the abs sensor back in. clean the tone ring and sensor while your there. most people think you need to set a specific airgap when installing the sensor. this is a myth. push sensor all the way in and when you reinstall the hub assembly and do your wheel bearing adjustment it will set the sensor where it needs to be. most of your front sensors should be a bolt in design. once you bolt it in its where it needs to be. these are your 1st basic trouble shooting steps. try to figure out who manufactures the abs system, wabco, arvin meritor, etc. they usually have a way to retrieve a blink code from your abs light so you have a trouble code to cross reference to a fault chart. remember start with the basics, check fuses, connections etc before you get into the big stuff. its sounds like a lot of info to take in but its pretty simple and it will get you more familiar with the components on your MH. good luck.

Hornet
Old 04-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryl822
Hey.....Thanks for the post. Our ABS light has been on/off for months. I thought it was a dirty sensor or something along this line? Finally had a Spartan shop hook-up the computer and run a diagnostic.

Turns out the sensor was "shot". Not expensive ($60) but not really a DYI job....unless you clearly understand how to jack-up your 30,000lb RV and wrestle heavy 22.5 tires off the rim...replace the sensor....reverse the process and can torque your lugs back to the correct level.

Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote