Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2006, 03:13 PM   #1

I have a 2005 Gulf Stream with a work horse chassis. The motor home has 2500 miles on it. It has been in my garage for the last couple of months. I got it out to get ready for a trip and the ABS light came on and the lcd screen said check the ABS. Could this just be something that would go away if I took it out for a drive or do I need to call a garage that works on the Work Horse chassis?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2006, 03:13 PM   #2

I have a 2005 Gulf Stream with a work horse chassis. The motor home has 2500 miles on it. It has been in my garage for the last couple of months. I got it out to get ready for a trip and the ABS light came on and the lcd screen said check the ABS. Could this just be something that would go away if I took it out for a drive or do I need to call a garage that works on the Work Horse chassis?

Old 05-15-2006, 03:50 PM   #3

Could be almost anything that is causing the light to come on. Usually (in cars anyway) you will still have brakes, you simply will not have ABS in case of an emergency.

You might try posting this down in the Workhorse Owners forum lower on the page. There are many knowledgable people there that will have many suggestions for you.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:01 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
arwilda, welcome to irv2
I will jump your question to WH forum if you know anything mechanical you maybe able to fix yourself but otherwise a service center or Chev garage may help you. Someone will have a answer for you.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:06 PM   #5

I had this problem earlier this year while traveling. Took it in to have it checked out. Turned out to be a loose connection. I did have checked out by a authorized Workhorse garage.
No problems since.
Bob
Old 05-15-2006, 05:28 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Smokyjoe
Mine has been coming on for years. When it first came on I had it checked,they said it was moisture. I have learned that when I start the engine and the ABS light comes on,all I have to do is shut it off and restart the engine and the light stays off.

36' Diesel
Smokyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:46 PM   #7

We had this same problem about a year ago. We took it in to the Workhorse Center and they fixed it and we haven't had any problems since.

2004 36' Safari Simba, W22 Chassis
Rodger H. Raasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:09 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is a shot in the dark but worth checking if you have'nt yet. I had a Ford PU and one fuse controled the odometer and the ABS. It was '96 and very easy to disconnect odometer but if I did I did'nt have antilock brakes
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:50 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I had my brake recall redone in April by Brazel's at a Rally... They did a complete job replaced the calipers, rotors, and the pads. On my way home my ABS light came on. So I called Mike (from Brazel's) and he told me that when I stop and turn the key off it may reset. So I stopped at a rest stop and let it set for about 5 minutes and sure enough it reset it's self.

But this last weekend I took the MH out for the first time sense getting home from getting the recall done... I drove about 20 miles and the ABS light came on again. It would NOT reset this time. So I sent Mike a e-mail asking him what I can do but I have not got an answer back from him yet... I will post what he says when he gets back to me... It may help your problem also......
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:13 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is a stupid question from a non-Workhorse guy. Doesn't the chassis have an ABS error code? My Saturn (a 1994) requires a different code reader to read the ABS than the regular failure codes but it can be done. I was under the impression that most newer vehicles have OBD-II or equivalent type error codes which can be read back. I have to believe that a 2005 chassis is equipped like that.

While any error code can lead you astray, starting with finding out what error code is setting the ABS light might be a help. It could be as simple as a flaky wheel sensor or, like it was on my Saturn, a bad battery contact allowing the voltage feeding the ABS controller to dip too low. Once I knew what the error code was, the problem was resolved in just a few minutes.

The local auto parts stores in my area will rent OBD-II readers if the Workhorse chassis uses one. On my Freightliner chassis, I invested in the VMSpc which both monitors the engine and collects all of the error codes which are set. There has to be some way for you to get more specific information about why your ABS light is on.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:27 PM   #11
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chasfm11:
There has to be some way for you to get more specific information about why your ABS light is on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You are absolutely right and that particular device is the Tech-II which is the electronic instrument that is used by every authorized Workhorse Service Center in the system. The Tech-II will scan for codes not only in the power train but it also does brakes as well.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:30 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You are absolutely right and that particular device is the Tech-II which is the electronic instrument that is used by every authorized Workhorse Service Center in the system </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Thanks, Driver. Is there a DIY alternative to taking the coach to a Workhorse dealer? I know that both Allison and Cummins sell their own tools for reading codes, for example, but that there alternative ways to get that same information. I'm just curious.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:38 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Here was Mikes answer to me.. Now remember I had just had ALL the brakes worked on so it may be differant for you....

"One of the ABS sensors is probably out of adjustment.It's easy to reset them,just follow the wire to the rear of each brake,push in hard on the sensor & do this on all four wheels.Drive the coach at ten miles per hour and the light should reset.If it's too hard we can do it on your way through."
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:36 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I would try driving it the coach 20 miles before I got too deeply involved in diagnostics. The ABS system used on the Workhorse seems to be prone ot intermittent error codes (that disappear by themselves. Mine has occasionally come on and gone off since I bought it in early 2002 and WH could never find a problem. I asked the tech about codes but all he said was "didn't help any" (whatever that meant).

99% of all ABS codes are problems at one or more wheel sensors. The ABS computers checks everything at start-up and reports any anomalies via a code and the light. Often these little wrinkles get cleared up as soon as the wheel moves and/or the rakes warm up. Probably evaporating moisture on the various contacts and sensors.

As has been mentioned, the ABS light means that the ABS computer has detected a fault and set an error code. You can get a reader for that code - it should have the standard OBD-II physical interface but the ABS diagnostic codes may or may not follow any common standard. Make sure that any unit you buy or rent can report the WH ABS codes and that it comes with documenation of those codes (or get the code documentation somewhere else).

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote