Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2009, 12:14 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
absolute brake

has anyone purchased an air brake lock from absolutebrake.com ?

We're new to the MH's - having had a TT and 5'er in the past.

When we park in front of our house (not flat) and apply the air brake, I'm concerned that someone will bump the button and the coach will roll away. I've talked to Spartan and I do understand that once the air is dumped (ex: set up at a campground) we're pretty safe. If we turn off the ignition (tranny in N) and don't dump the air, can the button be pushed and the brakes come off ? If so, I would like to try the proper product from absolutebrake.

KSDP_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2009, 01:03 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Just wondering! Wouldn't a chalk work?

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:13 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
a chock the size of a VW ?

yes, a chock would probably work. In my case, I would like the chock to be the size of a VW Beetle. We're just not used to having to hold back something as big as a MH. Always had (1) chocks and (2) tow vehicle brakes to rely on before.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:50 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi KSDP_PA,
You have a valid concern. I looked at the absolute brake product. As a project, I made my own, out of PVC pipe. Go to
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=11268
and
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=11267
to see the result.

I had all the pipe in my garage (sprinkler system spare parts). The inner size pipe is just large enough to get past the plunger shaft. I added the next size larger pipe until I could put the lock on. Everything is held together with 5 minute epoxy.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
thank you

Actually, while I was waiting for replies to this thread, the absolute brake guy followed up on my inquiry (from a few weeks ago). So, I ordered the AB200L model.
Your project has the same result. We have more wood than PVC in the garage. Thought about crafting one from wood and staining it to match the cherry interior. Buying one will get us safer sooner.

p.s. loved the photos.
Already did the cup holders at the passenger side sofa.
Ordered more robe hooks and put one above each seat belt up front for hats and dog leashes.
Have a slightly different clothes hanger for the shower. Ours is made of wood and fits on top of the shower stall (the metal parts). Only put it up when we need it. Too tall hubby for a permanent mount in the skylight.

thanks again.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:06 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question: When you set the parking brake does it blow the tanks? If no (if your brake air pressure is reduced to zero) then w/o the engine running or an air compressor hoooked up... Well.... You are not going anywhere. at least not w/o air
Old 05-19-2009, 03:13 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi wa8yxm,
My coach does not release air from the tanks when I set the parking brake. Coaches will loose air, from the tanks, at different rates. For my coach, I can tun off the engine and return a day or two later to find enough PSI in the tanks to allow the plunger to be pushed in. I press the plunger and the coach will move, if not on level ground. I think the tank PSI needs to be below 30-40 PSI before the plunger will not stay pushed in and the coach is locked in placed. When doing my annual maintenance, after draining the tanks, I have tried to push the plunger in and it will not stay in.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:29 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Gary.. Glad I am that I phrased it as a question. And thanks for the answer (Much better to say ask a question than to wipe egg off face)

I'm not all that conversant with DP's but I've driven a few Semi's.. ON those, when I hit valve.. Well.. I suspect you know

Short story:
One freight terminal had such a theft issue that at night they backed rigs up to the dock doors so no door (trailer roll up or dock) could be opened and bled the tanks dry of air.. Since the tractors were air-start, a mechanic had to come out with a compressor hose in the AM to crank 'em up and open shop

But they had no more break ins
Old 05-19-2009, 07:27 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think anybody could "accidentally" disengage my air brake - it does not move easily. It's takes a definite push with plenty of intent behind it.

A little section of pvc pipe with a slot in one side would do the same thing if you aren't concerned about theft.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #10

I place a spring clothes pin under it and that keeps anyone from pushing it down.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:38 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSDP_PA View Post
has anyone purchased an air brake lock from absolutebrake.com ?

We're new to the MH's - having had a TT and 5'er in the past.

When we park in front of our house (not flat) and apply the air brake, I'm concerned that someone will bump the button and the coach will roll away. I've talked to Spartan and I do understand that once the air is dumped (ex: set up at a campground) we're pretty safe. If we turn off the ignition (tranny in N) and don't dump the air, can the button be pushed and the brakes come off ? If so, I would like to try the proper product from absolutebrake.
I use a bag clip around the base. A wooden clothes pin also works.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:21 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
When you ordered the Absolute Brake. What did it cost?