Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-11-2009, 06:42 PM   #1
Workhorse Chassis Owner
AC Compressor Failure - need replacement

I have a 2004 Monaco LApALMA 37' on a GM/Workhorse frame with a GM 496/8.1L gas engine. The ac compressor recently stopped working - that is it froze up completely and stopped the engine. I am trying to get a good part number for a replacement compressor.
The current compressor has a Delphi label with the numbers 15067135 and 7135 on the casing, however my local auto parts store is having a problem cross referencing the numbers. I saw an old posting on irv2 from John (2007) but it did not give a final resolution as the groove count on the pulley was different. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rvcaretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2009, 03:07 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
rvcaretaker, welcome to iRV2.com. Have you tried to contact Delphi? They may be able to send you to the nearest dealer that has that compressor in stock. It is certainly worth a try. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:30 AM   #3

Commercial Member
Send a message via AIM to oemtech
Go to my FREE web site and look at the Workhorse Parts Xref under engine parts.

A/C Compressor - AC Delco part # 12-21177 or 15-20747

Try this Link
Dale/aka-Oemy Oemy's UltraPower Performance
oemtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
Workhorse Chassis Owner
rvcaretaker - good luck on the fix. I'm sorry I can't offer any help for your problem but would like to ask you a question. I'm out right now 400 miles & just the other day my dash air started to growl/moan when the air was turned off-but not when on. Sounds like it is coming from the compressor. Had someone look at it & figured it indeed was the compressor.
Question-did your's make the same kind of sound(s) before it quit? In other words am I going to get back home before mine locks up too? Anyone?

2005 Suncruiser 37B W24 MH2100 Allison 8.1L

currently no toad
mygrayhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:30 AM   #5
Damon Owners Club
Contact Mike Bronzini at brazels, he can probably get you what ou need.

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:05 PM   #6
Workhorse Chassis Owner
to mygreyhound
yes my ac compressor made several noises prior to complete failure - these were intermittent and started about 500 miles before the failure. After removing the compressor it was clear that the clutch burned out and forced the compressor to turn even when shut off. Eventually the compressor bearings failed and seized. When it seized it shut the engine down completely until I was able to remove the serpentine belt. The repair was not difficult, just lightened the wallet. I would suggest you find a shop and have it repaired ASAP. Getting stuck on the open road is no fun.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:09 PM   #7
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the info. Glad you got it fixed...and you're absolutely right about being stranded...but I took the chance however and fortunately I made it back home (about 450 miles) by leaving the air on continuously; it was much louder when disengaged. I took the engine cover off today and started the engine. The noise only happens when the air conditioner compressor clutch stops turning and begins free wheeling (air off) so it's definitely the same bad clutch problem you had. I hate to replace everything for just a bad clutch but I guess you can't just buy that part. I was quoted $1300 in NC- I hope my local WH dealer is no more than that!

RV Wizard: I've tried and cannot get contact info for Delphi anywhere. Do you know of a good number? Thanks

2005 Suncruiser 37B W24 MH2100 Allison 8.1L

currently no toad
mygrayhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:42 AM   #8
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Glad to hear you made it home. I found that local autoparts stores had no info that applied to WH/GM engine parts. I went to my local rv repair garage. They were able to take my old unit numbers (see prior posting) and convert them to the current numbers to get my ac compressor. THe numbers are AC Delco # 15-22124 and the GM# is 89019224. Retail on the compressor alone is about $550. They sold the part to me for $475. Installation was not difficult, but the re-install of the belt is tricky.
After everything is back together you need to get the unit vacuumed and re-filled with 134a (2.75# plus compressor oil). Cost is about $200. Knowing what it takes to remove my compressor and replace it, a garage should not charge more than $100 for the added service. $1300 seems way out of line.
Good luck.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:47 PM   #9
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The results of my latest compressor change (17340 mi) (first was replaced under warranty at 9700 miles, don't know cost.)
Compressor and receiver/dryer $582
Freon/PAG $ 47
Shop supplies $ 25
HazMat charge $ 24

diagnosis,R&R, a/c service
5.4 hrs@ $90 $485

On the high side, but what can you do when you have a vacation pending in 3 days and the shop (my regular) drives 50 miles to get the part ASAP. My only heartburn: why 2 compressors in just 17000 miles? Is this another case of The less you drive it, The more the problems?
2005 1/2 Holiday Rambler Admiral SE 36DBD
2013 Honda CRV
bandcworkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:20 PM   #10
AC Compressor Failure

I just had my AC compressor replaced Aug 21st at Auto Truck Services, the workhorse service center in Colorado Springs, CO. It was making bad growling sounds and they confirmed it was bad. The bill for the job was:

Compressor 335.00
Drier 52.04
Seals 6.93
Freon 13.75
NpN Oil 10.00
Labor 180.00
Shop Supplies 13.50
Total 597.47 plus tax

Possibly work on a Newmar is different but I have a W22 chassis and 8.1L engine.

Dave & Sherry
Flossy is offline   Reply With Quote