Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
AC/DC

OK I am new to motorhomes and today I plugged it into shore power to test the AC/DC.

Everything that worked before hand stills works, I was hoping to get the other non working items to work once the shore power was connected.

I called the previous owner and so far I have been unable to reach him, so I guess I must now float that question to this board.

My new Motorhome is a used 83 Pace Arrow model G31, at the time I tested some of these items before we bought it I was told by the owner that it must be a fuse, something that I hate hearing because it tells me nothing. So here is my question, it seems as if none of the AC plugs work, I used both a test lamp and a drill to verify it, and a lot of the DC items also do not come on, so where are these fuses, and what else should I be looking for and checking to be able to see if it is indeed a fuse or a real problem that I must now try and repair. Also I ran the roof air conditioner for about a half hour on shore power before it blew the breaker on the control panel in the bedroom.

Please provide me with some feed back and guild lines on what I can now do to determine if I bought a problem or it is just a fuse.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2010, 04:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry you are having a problem. You did not give a lot of information. Do you have the RV plugged into 120 VAC (volts A/C)? Next, do you have a volt ohm meter?

You need to find the breaker box and check the power in the breakers for the 120 VAC.

Have you checked to see if there is power at the plug that the RV is plugged to.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:26 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartvines View Post
OK I am new to motorhomes and today I plugged it into shore power to test the AC/DC.

Everything that worked before hand stills works, I was hoping to get the other non working items to work once the shore power was connected.

I called the previous owner and so far I have been unable to reach him, so I guess I must now float that question to this board.

My new Motorhome is a used 83 Pace Arrow model G31, at the time I tested some of these items before we bought it I was told by the owner that it must be a fuse, something that I hate hearing because it tells me nothing. So here is my question, it seems as if none of the AC plugs work, I used both a test lamp and a drill to verify it, and a lot of the DC items also do not come on, so where are these fuses, and what else should I be looking for and checking to be able to see if it is indeed a fuse or a real problem that I must now try and repair. Also I ran the roof air conditioner for about a half hour on shore power before it blew the breaker on the control panel in the bedroom.

Please provide me with some feed back and guild lines on what I can now do to determine if I bought a problem or it is just a fuse.
My answer is generic - I'm not familiar with the PA - but here goes:
1. Newer motorhomes have an automatic transfer switch (ATA) that connects to either the generator or shore power, never both at once. If the ATA malfunctions, nothing works except maybe what's powered by the inverter.
2. The inverters in newer motorhomes also have a transfer switch built into them; those too have been known to go bad. If that is the problem, you may be able to reset the inverter's circuit breaker and fix nearly everything.
3. I'm assuming you do have a generator and some kind of a transfer system (on my previous MH I simply plugged the shore power line into an outlet box from the generator; worked every time, unlike the ATA). Have you tried powering the coach from that? With what result?
4. Are your batteries good? Should measure about 12.5 volts if not recharged real recently.

Also, you said your roof air breaker quit after half an hour. Was the line voltage low? If not, either the A/C was drawing too much power or the breaker is old and weak. If the A/C was cooling well, I'd suspect the breaker.

The more tests you run and the more different power sources you try, the easier it will be to diagnose your specific situation.
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:55 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
AC/DC

Yes the 30 amp cord is plugged in to my home supply and it is reaching the RV, and I checked the plugs on the inside that they are not powered, either is the plug on the outside by the door, the only one that seem to power is the plug the inverter . [the one outside] is plugged into, I guess I can just start pulling fuses to see what is good and or bad, I just don't know where to start, I guess this will be trail by doing. Could it be a breaker?

Do I even have to be concerned with the fused under the dash, being they are just for the chassis, isn't that correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Sorry you are having a problem. You did not give a lot of information. Do you have the RV plugged into 120 VAC (volts A/C)? Next, do you have a volt ohm meter?

You need to find the breaker box and check the power in the breakers for the 120 VAC.

Have you checked to see if there is power at the plug that the RV is plugged to.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you are in the proper part of Michigan (Flint area) I can do house calls.. Otherwise tracking down fuses or breakers ... Some companies I think HIDE the things.

Basically open every door, compartment or panel that can be opened and look.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:27 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you, being I live in the San Gorgonio Pass of the Inland Empire, California I am a bit farther than Michigan, so I will begin my search and open every , door , panel and cubbyhole until I discover what I seek. Now I have toned D/C power line to detriment their path, but I think that even trying to do so with A/C would be deadly being I do not have a clue to where all of the power sources are connected to. I guess I could pull all of the batteries and disconnect all power source and try to trace these wired with a toning device but that will or may create as many problems as it could solve, but none the less I have a place to start.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:56 AM   #7

Start at the power source where it enters the RV and follow the power.

On some of the older coaches there is no transfer switch so you have to manually remove a plug from the generator and then plug it into the power cord.

Check the cabinetry inside your RV near the location where the power cord is attached outside and start looking for false panels etc.

You could also give the manufacturers customer service line a call which I believe is Fleetwood at: 800-322-8216.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:54 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
What converter do you have? There are several DC fuses and AC breakers in some of the converter boxes. Depending on your model Fleetwood may have installed yours under the bed.
I have a lot of docs remaining from my 84 SouthWind.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

It doesn't sound to me like a fuse or breaker problem. And the a/c worked, so he has shore power (at least for awhile).

There may be a GFCI tripped - that would stop power to the 120vac outlets. Check the bathroom outlet - it is typically the one with the GFCI function.

How are the batteries? Have you checked the voltage there? And the converter/charger (you probably don't have an inverter, or at least it wasn't standard equipment)? You should show 13.3-13.6v at the battery when plugged to shore power and at least 12.6 when not.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks Gary, being I did not see any GFI, I did not even think about one being the the bathroom, I have the same problem in our 1955 Crown, so that will be the very first thing I check and I hoe it is the problem, if so that will solve the AC side. I will report back once I have been able to test it. The batteries I am not sure I kow one is a new one, but I will have to do a voltage test.

I also guess i will have to check the power panel in the bedroom, all of the fused look goo,d but I guess if power is not being delivered to the fuses, it tell me nothing.

I will check out both today as long as the California heat spell doesn't make being inside unbearable.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Gary
You were right on in regards to a GFI in the bathroom being tripped, I corrected that and now all of my AC is currently working, So next I tested all of the 12 volt coming into my Progressive Dynami Power Converter, and discoverd everything was working with the exception to one black wire that was not powered, so I went ahead and jumped it with another wire from one of the lugs with power and all of my DC begin to work so as of today all of the things I was worried about is now working, So now the question will this jumper wire cause any other probelms? I thought I woud buy a fused wire connector and fuse it just under the correct amp just in case of a over load so I woud not burn out that cirucut. Can anyone provide me with their feed back in this matter, I was emailed some wiring diagrams from another board and I will see what this black wire is and where it is coming from to see if I can just replace it, but I am unsure what I will see once I take the face off of this converter in the bedroom area. Has anyone rewired one of these on a 1980-83 fleetwood, and if so can you provide me with some input on how and what you did? I am comfortable with working with 12 volt being I do it all of the time but I do not want to begin something that could create more or other problems.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:22 PM   #12

One thing that comes to my mind is that with the age of your unit you should go through it and tighten all electrical connections. PLEASE do it with the power OFF. Even the connections in your vent fans and A/C units. Every connection in the rig. I am not saying this is your problem but it may be. No matter what the problem is the connections should be tightened. I did it on my 5'er when it was new and I found some loose ones.

Fuses blow due to old age and breakers do get old and will not pass the power they are rated for. I would consider replacing all fuses and replacing breakers as needed.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:46 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you I will take this into consideration each time I take something apart I always make sure that the connection is solid
Old 07-25-2010, 10:29 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ralper has a good point. Also, realize that breakers and fuses will 'pop' at below rated current if the ambient temperature is high - a condition you described earlier. There's very little you can do against this. Some folks have left the cover off the 'fuse box' to aid in cooling the breakers, other have had to add a cheapie fan to do the same thing. In a month or so, it should cool down and the prob goes away.