Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2016, 07:40 PM   #1

AC inop

What is the fix: My 2014 Tiffin 33AA RED has two AC units(heat pumps). I arrived at our reserved RV camp site and plugged into the 50AMP system. The ACs, which were operating perfectly earlier in the day, started up but blew hot air only. I checked the onboard breakers and recycled them - same hot air result. Any other ideas???
fshipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2016, 08:20 PM   #2

I have read of occasions you experience, and a "sometimes" fix is to switch between heat and cool several times. This supposedly can cause a stuck reversing valve to operate again.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:56 AM   #3

AC inop

If both where working and both quit at the same time odds are something in thermostat also there is a time delay on compressors if you cut them on and off.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:39 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Were you running them on the generator when you plugged in shore power and then suddenly just shut off your generator? If so turn on the generator and let it run the MH for a bit and see if the AC's start working again. IF they do then your issue is in the ABT Switch. You are not actually getting 50amps to the MH. The other issue could be with the shore Power. So you have a monitor board that lets you know what the incoming power is, ie 30, 50 gen? Check it out and see what it tells you?
Old 07-27-2016, 07:13 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We had the same problem several years ago. Moved to a different site and the front AC would only blow hot air. The fan would start, wait for the appropriate period of time, and then the compressor would kick in BUT only blew hot air.

I climbed on the roof, pulled the shroud off the AC unit with intentions of checking the reversing solenoid. First thing I saw was that the wire going to the solenoid had moved and came in contact with the copper tubing and melting the insulation and arced. I cleaned up the wire, put back together with a butt splice, tapped everything up and secured the wire out of the way. Tested the AC unit and it worked fine.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:40 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshipton View Post
What is the fix: My 2014 Tiffin 33AA RED has two AC units(heat pumps). I arrived at our reserved RV camp site and plugged into the 50AMP system. The ACs, which were operating perfectly earlier in the day, started up but blew hot air only. I checked the onboard breakers and recycled them - same hot air result. Any other ideas???
You DO NOT have a AC problem. The chances of both AC.s going out at the same time are in the billions. The most likely is a voltage problem. Either the changeover box or the park power. Start with resetting the breakers on the power poll. Next check the incoming power at the plug. Then check the changeover box. Last check the salesman switch.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:52 PM   #7

Cycle the 12 volt power ( battery switch ) while power is off. Most likely that will fix it. Ive seen it happen.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:29 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I would suspect a low voltage condition or open neutral, either of which can damage your AC's. If the voltage gets low, they will try to compensate by pulling more current.

Get yourself a Progressive Industries Surge Protector which if it detects low voltage (open neutrals or other error conditions). It will shut down and prevent your coach from being impacted by bad power.

Either the 50 amp hardwired, or portable.

Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote