Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-21-2009, 03:49 AM   #1
AC Power / TV Issues

I have an 06 Fleetwood Expedition.

I installed a new LCD TV with integrated digital receiver into the front of the RV and all was well.

Recently, I decided to install a digital recorder too but have had major issues since.

Inside the TV cupboard, I have the TV, DVD, splitter box and new Digital Recorder (the sat box was removed since I put in the DR).

But, whenever we turn on the kettle or microwave or washer/dryer the picture on the TV freezes - it doesnt matter if we're watching on std analogue or digital.

Today, we had the TV turned OFF but had our electric heater on a different outlet. We turned on the kettle and one of the AC trips in our inverter tripped.

So, do you think there is a general fault affecting the whole coach electrics or do you think its an isolated issue?

Though its the TV which freezes, we have less things plugged in than there are actually power outlets for, so I cant see that the appliances are at fault.

ukrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2009, 06:43 AM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Do you have a digital volt meter? If not get one and check the voltage when this happens. You might also get one of those testers that show if the outlets/voltage is wired properly.

I assume this is while plugged in to commercial AC, i.e., not generator, or not inverter power? From what you describe it sounds like you have a power load problem. But you'll
need to do a bit of troubleshooting before we can help you with this type of problem.

Bob 2006 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ
US Navy Carrier Battlegroup 1959/1963
Summer in Colorado, Winter Texas Gulf Coast
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am wondering about that inverter.. The question is this: Are you running off inverter when this happens? or does it happen even with the inverter in standby/off modes?

If it only happens what make, model, size and type of inverter do you have.

I have often posted that there are two major types of inverters.. The one in my rig is a Prosine 2.0 by Xantrex. this is one of the many TRUE SINE WAVE inverters on the market.. The power coming out of a TSW inverter is a good, or better than, what comes out of the "hole in the wall" at home.. Usually better (If the power at home is 100% clean, then it is only as good, but 100% clean is 99.99% impossible)

The other type is the Modified Sine/Square Wave or MSW (Sine/Square depends on who you talk to. I use Sine)

These will cause exactly the symptoms you cite in many cases

And... When the load goes up.. the "Noise" on the output often goes up with it.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:24 AM   #4
Thanks for the replies

We leave the inverter on all the time ( as recommended to us in case of AC failure) but were actually on campsite AC when this happens.

I will get a fault tester and try that.

I did remove the Digital Receiver from a double outlet it shares with the TV and used a separate outlet for it.

That does seem to have made a little difference but is not near 100% correct so I will check those sockets for wiring issues first.

ukrv is offline   Reply With Quote