Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2006, 08:30 PM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi there, Since I would like better MPG and longer engine life and I got the new engine to prove it,I guess it is my turn to play guinea-pig!5.5 oz. per 55 gal. of regular gas.got it! RV Wizard will help me keep track of millage and WE will see if this is "Snake oil" or the real thing! You with me Wizard? Sounds like this will be fun!!

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2006, 12:11 AM   #30
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Capt. Dan, you will want to use 3 oz of accetone to 10 gallons of gasoline. So, for 55 gals of gas use 16.5 oz. I fill up to full tank and then calculate amount needed and add to fuel being careful not to get any on the paint .

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:42 PM   #31

I've tried it now in both my '02 Liberty with the 3.7L and my '03 Explorer with the 4.0L and have seen no difference.
I suppose I'll try once or twice in my '01 Vortec 8.1L before I join the other 50% who say it's just snake oil.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:43 AM   #32

Check this site for more info re: acetone in gasoline or diesel.

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/new...00069_Acetone/
Old 07-22-2006, 01:20 PM   #33

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I opened another IE and briefly scanned the posts at RV.com.(I got here from there initially). I didn't read long enough to find the post stating the problem with acetone but there is one. Like others, I'll follow this for some actual results. One warning...be very careful, it's very HOT chemically. Good cleaner for stubborn metal cleaning. Next someone is going to think maybe MEK, HOTTER yet. One of the few solvents that does't leave residue. Reason industrial painters wipe w/ketone then paint.

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
eandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:16 AM   #34

Just curious as I haven't heard anything more on this topic, how are the tests going??????
Old 09-19-2006, 10:21 AM   #35

My attempts at better mileage on 3 vehicles including my MH were unsucessful.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:56 PM   #36

Sorry to hear that abarkl, chemically it sounded plausible, lot better than the "Snake Oil" they sell on the shelves. Oh well gas prices are dropping
Old 03-13-2009, 05:03 PM   #37
gme

try using xylene--if you look up the chemical name for this you will find it is the key increadiant in the production of gasoline--xylene has been removed from our fuel in order to lower the octane rating and save the oil companies money.use about 3oz for every 10 gallons of gas/or 2oz for every 10 gallons of diesel.most automotive paint suppliers sell it for about $10.00 a gallon.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:16 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
No way baby. Lubricity is paramount with ULSD and acetone does just the opposite.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:52 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
I tried acetone in my old 1993 chevy work truck for a couple of months, never really saw a difference in mileage.

John
Old 03-14-2009, 04:00 AM   #40
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Wow, this topic was started a long time ago, I am suprised to see it resurface. I am still using it along with a lube additive for the ULSD of today for the motorhome. For the truck I have not changed a thing; still using it too.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:32 PM   #41

Being a chemist and having used acetone for umteen years I thought I would chime in. Acetone is the simplest ketone, OC(CH3)2, and is almost a perfect organic solvent. Acetone is also miscible in water. In the lab it is used to rinse water out of flasks.

So in your gas tank and fuel lines it will either dissolve or suspend organics and those inorganics associated with water into the fuel. Some of these things you may not want in your fuel. Some of these things may form an emulsion in your fuel. I do not know the octane of acetone but I do know the octane of some of the products of it's solvency are awful.

MBTE, now outlawed, formed a snot in old gasoline storage tanks and they all had to e replaced prior to MBTE. Add water you got more snot.

Toluene on the other hand is high in octane and can be added to gasoline, up to 10%.

I wouldn't use acetone because of the problem with fuel contaminants in the products you buy and the reaction they might have with acetone.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:34 PM   #42

Resurrects three year old snake oil thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gme View Post
try using xylene--if you look up the chemical name for this you will find it is the key increadiant in the production of gasoline--xylene has been removed from our fuel in order to lower the octane rating and save the oil companies money.use about 3oz for every 10 gallons of gas/or 2oz for every 10 gallons of diesel.most automotive paint suppliers sell it for about $10.00 a gallon.

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote