Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-05-2005, 05:20 AM   #1
Ran onto this article recently and wondered if anyone here has ever tried it.

DCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2005, 05:20 AM   #2
Ran onto this article recently and wondered if anyone here has ever tried it.

DCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 06:38 AM   #3
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Thats a very interesting article DCT. I think I'll do a test in my Burb. With a 454 any improvement would be nice.
Klamath Falls, Oregon:The Right Side Of The Cascades!
1990 Rexhall Airex 29I,Ford 460cid,Gear Vendor,Granning Tag Axel
'87 GMC Suburban 2500 W/454 CID
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 08:34 AM   #4
This article was pointed out in another Car forum I belong to. Several people on the Forum ran various tests to see if this was in fact true and worked. Most people found their gas mileage either stayed the same or went down. Now these were not test under a controlled environment or done with recording instruments. The conclusion on this particular forum was it is all bull pucky.

CAD-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 12:16 PM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I'd be concerned about damages to the fuel system's internal components such as any seals, plastic, etc. Also, does't some vehicles have plastic fuel tanks and filler hoses? What about rubber fill hoses? What would happen to them?

Needless to say, I'm skeptical.
'11 GMC Acadia SLT AWD
'11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab
Hitchhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 03:12 AM   #6
Well, first let me say that I'm not a MH owner. 2nd I am a Mechanical Engineer with experiance with engines and power units.

Last I checked, Acetone has a lower Btu value than gasoline or diesel.

Fuel mileage is a means of measuring how efficiently your vehicle uses energy to move it. Fuel mileage for a vehicle will decrease with a poor grade of fuel, typically lower energy value (think low Octane). Fuel mileage will increase with a better grade of fuel (think high octane).

This article is advocating mixing a lower energy product with a higher energy product to produce better product.

I'm curious, how does someone mix a poor grade of fuel with a high grade of fuel to produce a higher grade of fuel?

The aritcle makes points about vaporization and surface tension. Modern fuel injectors do a real good job of atomizing the fuel. Burn rate is a funcion of maximizing fuel surface area in contact with the oxidizer. Atomized fuel from injectors has a very high surface area in contact with air.

I would steer clear of any product the manufacturer won't support. There are too many polymers (plastic) and elastomers (rubber) in fuel systems that have been specifically designed to be used with a particular fuel. Acetone could affect many of these components.
I'm the lucky one, my wife married an idiot.
knute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 01:58 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Only a tiny amount of acetone is used and it is essentially a catalyst. It is not enough to harm fuel system components nor significantly reduce the available BTUs of the fuel. Its purpose is to make the fuel a little more volatile and supposedly that contributes to more thorough vaporization of the fuel charge. If the fuel charge was not previously being 100% vaporized, then some portion of the fuel will remain unburned. Under those circumstances, perhaps adding a bit of acetone might help vaporization and burn more of the fuel charge, which might therefore increase mpg by some amount. But few modern diesels have a fuel vaporization problem because the electronic controls and vastly improved fuel-air charging, so the chances of gaining anything from an acetone catalyst are [in my opinion] pretty darn slim.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 11:58 AM   #8
Back in the 70's when the took tetraethyl lead out of gasoline, it was replaced with benzene. Even today, 10-20% of unleaded gas is benzene. Benzene and acetone chemically are very similar. They differ by only one carbon atom and three hydrogen atoms. Therefore I cannot see it doing any harm to your engine. Your mileage may increase every so slightly simply because you added more fuel.
bounderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 03:16 PM   #9
Benzene and acetone are totally different compounds. Benzene is an 'aromatic hydrocarbon' with a RING structure. Acetone is a ketone.

Benzene is a polar solvent it will not mix with water. Acetone will mix with water.

Acetone would not be good for hoses etc.

There is a way to increase gas milage by using platinium. The idea is that you already use platinium in your catalytic converter. AND IT GETS HOT because it is burning the porion of the gasolene that did not burn in the cylinders. Why not catalyses these unburn't hydrocarbons INSIDE THE CYLINDERS AND BURN THEM THERE??!!!???

You would definitelly increase your gas milage, anyone can see that, and you would also guarentee that your vehicle would pass the emissions tests.

The system I have has a BUBBLER that you place in a vacuum line with a TEE. The device pulls air into a mixture of water and a platinium solution. The platinium is carried into the engine from the vacuum line. You get enough platinium solution to last 30,000 miles.

We all know platinium is very expensive, that is the draw back. But if you had platinium 1 oz. piece you could probably rig something up so you could use that piece (for the rest of your life)with this type of gas saver.

I think you could do the same thing with the platinium as people do with silver 'make a colloidial solution of the metal and add that to the BUBBLER instead of the stuff from the company.

Platinium is really a TOUGH metal no single acid will touch it. You could take a 12 volt battery and use electroylsis to make the colloid. DO NOT DRINK IT.

zetron is offline   Reply With Quote