Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2012, 12:19 AM   #29

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
I'm retired Air Force and lived in the Fort Walton Beach area (Crestview) for nearly eighteen years. I liked it but being a native Floridian I grew tired of the beach and the heat, and missing the mountains I grew to love in Europe, I moved to Tennessee and I am full-timing with my wife outside of Chattanooga. We still get the military support here through Arnold AFB, TN, which itself gets its medical support through Eglin AFB. It's like we never left in that regard. But I would vote for Florida.

One of the biggest base exchanges in the military is at Eglin AFB, Eglin has two FAMCAMPS, Fort Benning has a FAMCAMP in Destin, Maxwell AFB runs a FAMCAMP next to the Mid-Bay Bridge. The Navy has FAMCAMPS with great facilities aboard Naval Station Pensacola and at Corry Station. Did I also mention that the local populace LOVES the military? Also the public school systems in the western panhandle consistently rate in the top ten school systems in the state.

While Arizona has great attributes, being in the Florida panhandle has more in my humble opinion. Within a days drive you can be in Atlanta, New Orleans, Nashville, or Orlando.

Enjoy, and thanks for your service to our country.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #30

Martino-78,

Thanks for the family info. Y'all are all around us :-).

Jim

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:20 PM   #31

Update:
Got to work this morning and checked my email....got an email from HQ that said congratulations on your selection for assignment. I got an assignment to Ft. Walton Beach! I guess the decision has been made for me. The wife is excited and the younger daughter but not my 13 year old daughter. I'm kinda excited myself.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #32
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have some sympathy for the 13 year old. That is a difficult age. Everyone is against you at that age. It is difficult to give up all the friends that she has made.

As I have told my grandchildren, one who is a year+ younger than your daughter, make sure that you get email and other contact information. Stay in touch and make the friendships a long lasting one. There is always the possibility that they will be close to each other again. And when she gets to the new place she will make many new friends to add to her friendship list. As much as I hate Facebook, and I don't use it, it is a very good way for friends to keep in touch with each other. It may be difficult for her, but it is doable. What she doesn't really understand is that those "low" feelings she has about moving will go away with the finding of new friends and interests. If it is in the scheme of things, get her an iPod touch. She can stay in touch with her friends constantly and if they have an iPod Touch and they can "Facetime" each other. It is a great way to keep in touch.

Good luck. When is the transfer effective?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #33

AZ...it's closer to the spots I enjoy the most...West & North West!
Old 04-20-2012, 10:11 AM   #34

Thanks for the post Wayne. We are against Facebook for how young the girls are. There are just too many crazy people out there! We may however let her get an account shortly before we leave. I bought her an iPod for Christmas but now she wants an iPhone *bangs head*. Maybe that will be her next Xmas gift. She makes friends pretty quick and she is concerned that soccer won't be as big in Florida as it is here in Mexico *cough* I mean Arizona. She plays for a state all-star travel team and it is her biggest passion right now. I am sure she will be fine after a few weeks in Florida.
The bad thing about the transfer is I have to go to New Mexico without the family for over 5 months (July-Dec) for training. Did I mention I have another daughter due any day now? We will be moving to Florida shortly after my training. (middle of Dec)
Old 04-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #35

FWB

I spent 10 years in FWB area.
The kids will love the beaches.
Lot's to do in the area.
Fishing is awesome.
I had looked at all of the desert towns and decided that being near the water was most important.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #36

Thx flbluerunner, I also think its cool it was my first duty assignment and it's we're I met my wife. Now I get to go back there and retire.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #37
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Soccer is prevalent in all the areas, I think. She should have no trouble finding a good team.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote