Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #1

Active military with a question

Ok so I know this ? will have a lot of onions but, would like to know what you all think. I am currently stationed in Tucson, AZ but, have an opportunity to move to Ft. Walton Beach, FL. I know AZ and FL are both great places to be but, what is your favorite? Where would you prefer? I have 2 girls (13,11) and 1 more on the way.
Martino78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2012, 11:23 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Simple decision for me.

Arizona humidity is very low.

Florida humidity is very high.

I hate humidity.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martino78 View Post
Ok so I know this ? will have a lot of onions but, would like to know what you all think. I am currently stationed in Tucson, AZ but, have an opportunity to move to Ft. Walton Beach, FL. I know AZ and FL are both great places to be but, what is your favorite? Where would you prefer? I have 2 girls (13,11) and 1 more on the way.
I just retired (Army) in December, and I've traveled TDY thru both those places for years. If you're a full time liver, there is a smaller RV park down in the FWB area that's run (believe it or not) by the Ft Benning (not USAF) and has full time spaces, close to the beach....The kids will find more to do then you will have time for.

Lots to do, moderate weather year-round, and (not that the Intell types in AZ aren't fun to hang out with) the people will be a little more friendly than where you're coming from.

Course, just MHO.

Good luck.

Oh, a PS - one of the SF groups is relocating down there as we speak. Housing is taking a hit upwards as a result. But the military community is very SOF oriented....remember, it's also home for USAF Spec Op' s. you'll have lots in common other then uniforms.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:54 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Tucson was our favorite place over the years ...loved the climate, life style, and much more. That said, the Florida panhandle is a great area if you like walking the beach, etc. We have not lived there, but really enjoy visiting there. No one place is forever, right?!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Stationed in Pensacola - visited Tucson several times over the years. While there is plenty of eye candy on the white sand beaches of Baja Alabama in season, I like the eye candy, hiking, etc. of the mountains surrounding Tucson. My $0.02 worth
Old 04-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #6

From an RV'ing standpoint, IMHO, the weatern states in the only place to be.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
First, thank you for your service.

Consider this. One place has sand. The other place has sand and beautiful water. Now ask the girls what they would prefer. It appears that you have them in mind so maybe they should be part of the decision process.

Personally, I'd choose Fort Walton Beach, Fl.

Edited: We raised two boys. The branch of service I was in kept us moving to different duty stations every 2 to 3 years. That is a lot of moving. However, the education that our children received in geography and cultures is something that they could never experience out of a text book.

Good luck to you.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #8

Thank you Wayne and thank you for your service as well!
I have moved around quite a bit as well. I have been in for 16 years and have been to 6 duty stations. (Florida, Texas, Japan x2, Arkansas, Arizona) I am trying to weigh the pros and cons. This will most likely be my last assignment and I want to make sure it is the right move. I actually started out in FWB, FL as my first assignment and met my wife there. I know a lot about both areas but just can't decide. While I love the white beaches, nice weather, being on the east coast, etc Arizona has amazing mountains, amazing weather, (no humidity) bigger city, close to major cities like Vegas, San Diego, and LA. I have to say though I really miss the green!
Old 04-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Personally I'd chose the Tucson area for creature comfort - no hurricanes, lower humidity. Just my dos centavos. And thanks to your and the rest of our military & veterans.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Personally I would opt for AZ.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Where do you plan to retire, and is it in 4 more years? That would be a deciding factor also.

Just about the 20 year mark the girls will be headed to college. Do they/you know where they might end up?

Tuscon or FWB, what are the job opportunities when you retire?

What do the ladies say?

What does the pocket book say? Even with the per diem and other entitlements, where are you staying now? What would the extra cost be if you were to move and it is expensive to move.

How disruptive to the girls to change schools? Do they want to? Most likely, no.

Decisions, decisions! When I get in a quandary like that I ask the dog.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #12

Lol, my dog hasn't been much help. So far I plan on retiring in 4 years. I own a home in Tucson but, already have a friend interested in renting it out. I also have a rental in Little Rock.
The girls are up in the air about moving. I was looking into possibly a teaching job when I retire and my wife is in the medical field so that really isn't a factor. I like having so many more options of colleges being "closer to home" in Florida. My wife prefers Florida as well. It is closer to her family in Louisiana and she has a lot of friends in the area. I guess happy wife happy life right?
Old 04-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Martino78, I was 30+ years Army and really hate to suggest that the Marines have a good idea, but Wayne M has probably hit on the key point. If you are looking at this being your terminal assignment, that puts the 13 year old right about the last year of high school. Which position will offer the most opportunities for her and her sister? Of course, one should also consider what type of assignment you will be going to. Will one offer the possibility of having more time in the home area rather than having to travel away from the family? Every family has their own priority list, satisfy those as much as possible in your choice and the location issue will solve itself.

Now the nice thing about full timing once you are retired is that if you decide you don't really care for the area you are in, you just lower the jacks and take the house elsewhere.
Cum catapultae proscriptae soli proscript catapultas habebunt
gray ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martino78 View Post
I guess happy wife happy life right?
+1

If that is closer to home and where she would like to return when you retire then that makes the decision easy in my opinion.

Mike
mikelcan is offline   Reply With Quote