Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2008, 07:47 PM   #1

Howdy folks,

Has anyone added a storage box, trunk, or bin to the rear outside of their rig? I am considering doing so to have a place to store an inflatable boat to take along on our travels. It wouldn't have to be very big, maybe 2X4' in size. Just big enough for a inflatable and a motor.

Just starting to toy with the idea. Any ideas or pic are appreciated. Thanks, Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2008, 07:47 PM   #2

Howdy folks,

Has anyone added a storage box, trunk, or bin to the rear outside of their rig? I am considering doing so to have a place to store an inflatable boat to take along on our travels. It wouldn't have to be very big, maybe 2X4' in size. Just big enough for a inflatable and a motor.

Just starting to toy with the idea. Any ideas or pic are appreciated. Thanks, Sarge

Old 05-04-2008, 08:24 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
SargeW.....I've seen some bags for those aluminum hitch racks that Harbor Freight sells. They fit on the Harbor Frieght rack and have supports and zippered closures.

Lowe's also sells a bag in their trailer/towing aisle,
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:33 AM   #4
paz

I have seen a number of motorhomes (mostly Class C - the Class A motorhomes usually have a toad) that use the hitch-mounted storage platforms. Blue Ox makes racks for mobility scooters (one with a 350 lb capacity and one for 500 lb) that could be used for cargo. These tilt to load the scooter and there are probably less expensive, non-tilting racks available. However, you need to be careful you don't overload the hitch or add too much weight cantilevered way out behind the motorhome. Use of this type of rack also eliminates the ability to to a car.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:04 AM   #5

Yeah, thats the issue. I still will have the Jeep with me wherever I go..........

Old 05-05-2008, 08:09 AM   #6

Sarge,what if you put the hitch on the back of the Jeep.Will that be too much weight on the Jeep?

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:25 AM   #7

Hmmm, that might be an option Joe. I have a hitch mounted bike rack at the moment, but I could modify that in some fashion i'm sure. The weight wouldn't be much of an issue. Probably around 200 pounds total for everything.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Sarge W,

Why not throw it up on a roof rack on the toad. Plenty of options that way and it would always be with you.Mike
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:00 PM   #9

That option is a possibility too Mike. The only issue there is that the Jeep has a 3 piece top, and the front panels over the front seats are made to lift off easily. If the rack could only cover the rear half of the Jeep it may be possible.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:00 AM   #10
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SargeW:
Hmmm, that might be an option Joe. I have a hitch mounted bike rack at the moment, but I could modify that in some fashion i'm sure. The weight wouldn't be much of an issue. Probably around 200 pounds total for everything. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sarge, there are bike racks available that can be mounted over the shank of the tow bar instead of into the receiver. In fact, the base that actually does the mounting is sometimes available as a replacement part so you don't have to replace the entire rack. I had a Swagman bike rack that I was going to do this with until I realized the rear of the motorhome was already kind of heavy and I decided I didn't want to add the extra weight back there. Google the make of your bike rack or contact the manufacturer to see what's available.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:22 AM   #11

Yeah, mine is like that now Paz, it's the Swagman rack. I could mount it on the MH receiver for the towbar most likely.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:07 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I purchased a piece of tubing about 3 inches long the size of the receiver tube. I drilled a whole in the side of the tube and welded a nut on the tube. I then welded the tube to the bottom of my Bikerack. That allowed me to mount the Bikerack between the coach and the toad on the tow bar. The nut is to put a bolt in to stabalize the rack.