Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2010, 07:31 PM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's a few pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DPJunctionBox1.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	7027   Click image for larger version

Name:	DPJunctionPowerDist3.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	7028  

Name:	DP20AmpOutlet4.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	7029   Click image for larger version

Name:	DPShorePower7.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	7030  

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
John, please tell me that junction box under the bed had a cover.. and/or that you put one on??
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:15 PM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's off for illustration purposes only, see attached photo...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DPExtensionCover5.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	7037  
Old 12-04-2010, 09:42 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Whew.. you added an extension too I see... I was gonna mention that there are now too many wires for a standard box

I just had visions of bad things happening while you were sleeping..

Let us know how it works.. I need to do this.. or the whole 50 conversion
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:59 PM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
After reading about the time, cost and effort of rewiring the coach for 50 amp service, I think this is a great alternative. I took my time during the install and made sure all connections are right and tight, they will not come apart. I spent allot of time tracing wiring, testing continuity, and performing voltage checks before I even started the install. I don't trust the "one size fits all" instructions that came with the Dual Power adapter. Sure I might have to pay more for a 50 amp site, but who cares when you need the heat or A/C?
Old 05-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
After reading about the time, cost and effort of rewiring the coach for 50 amp service, I think this is a great alternative. I took my time during the install and made sure all connections are right and tight, they will not come apart. I spent allot of time tracing wiring, testing continuity, and performing voltage checks before I even started the install. I don't trust the "one size fits all" instructions that came with the Dual Power adapter. Sure I might have to pay more for a 50 amp site, but who cares when you need the heat or A/C?
Do you have a wiring diagram you can share?

Thanks.
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzjea View Post
Do you have a wiring diagram you can share?

Thanks.
Sorry, I have no wiring diagrams. My coach was too old to find one. I doubt you will be able to find one for your '98 National, but you might get lucky.
On my MH the genny powers 2 separate circuits the 30 amp for the coach and a 20 amp for the rear a/c.
I spent a lot of time tracing the electrical wiring from the genset (Onan Emerald 5000) to the junction box. My 30 amp shore power set up has a manual transfer switch so it was not too difficult to trace the separate 20 amp circuit and add the Dual Power adapter to it.

P.S. It is well worth the effort to install the DPA. We already had a few 95+ degree days this season. Sure was nice to be able to run both A/C's at the same time.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:37 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Sorry, I have no wiring diagrams. My coach was too old to find one. I doubt you will be able to find one for your '98 National, but you might get lucky.
On my MH the genny powers 2 separate circuits the 30 amp for the coach and a 20 amp for the rear a/c.
I spent a lot of time tracing the electrical wiring from the genset (Onan Emerald 5000) to the junction box. My 30 amp shore power set up has a manual transfer switch so it was not too difficult to trace the separate 20 amp circuit and add the Dual Power adapter to it.

P.S. It is well worth the effort to install the DPA. We already had a few 95+ degree days this season. Sure was nice to be able to run both A/C's at the same time.
If a 30 amp cord, while on genset power has to be plugged into a 30 amp outlet in the storage bay to get full use of the genset, does that mean I have a manual Transfer Switch since I have to plug it in for genset or to the power pole for shore? Until your reply above, I thought I had an automatic transfer switch, but I don't think so now.

Also I have a Duotherm dual AC system that is tied together with one Climate Control Center. And an EMS system to reduce amp usage if it goes over 30. How would these be affected if at all, if I split the rear ac off the main source? When I have the genset running, the EMS does not light up and is bypassed somehow.

John

John
Old 05-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
If a 30 amp cord, while on genset power has to be plugged into a 30 amp outlet in the storage bay to get full use of the genset, does that mean I have a manual Transfer Switch since I have to plug it in for genset or to the power pole for shore? Until your reply above, I thought I had an automatic transfer switch, but I don't think so now.
Yes, that would be a manual transfer.

Quote:
Also I have a Duotherm dual AC system that is tied together with one Climate Control Center. And an EMS system to reduce amp usage if it goes over 30. How would these be affected if at all, if I split the rear ac off the main source? When I have the genset running, the EMS does not light up and is bypassed somehow.

John
I have no EMS in my coach for the 30 amp system. I don't know how this will effect your install. I would recommend making a call to Bill @ Power Solutions.
He should be able to walk you through it.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #24

Hey guys --
I have all the parts needed for this dual power conversion for sale. See the classifieds here in IRV2. I also has extensive set of instructions with it.

RV Dual Power Adapter

It is still for sale. Check it out

Tom
BostonPups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have any problems I'm in Southern Ohio, about 20 miles from Kings Island just now.. And I built my own so installing is no problem

NOTE: the 20 amp line you tap is not "unused" on a 30 amp coach there is usually both a 30 and a 20 amp breaker on the 5500 watt generator (50 amps) the 20 amp line feeds JUST the rear air conditioner.. This is where they suggest you tap in the PSRV adapter.

In my case (50 amp coach) I had to do it differently.. I understand they now include instrucitons for what I did with the PSRV unit as well.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Dual Power Adapter

I just bought the DPA from Tom and Ann and will let you all know how this installs in my rig. I also ordered a 25' 20A extension cord from a supplier in AZ for $40. Thanks all.

FYI- I do have a AC Relay Delay (switch) that operates the rear AC from shore or Genset power, so I will have to insert the DPA in the Genset 20A line to the switch. That should make everything happy, including me.

I may add a 20A outlet for the coach if I can find a way to get it there from the storage bay. I am assuming I won't need AC at the same time I need elec. heat.... So they won't both be used at the same time anyway.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #27

Does Romex (solid wire) meet any vehicle wiring standard?
dzmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #28

I installed the power solution last year out of desperation due to hot, hot, hot, Texas summer. I used adapters to plug it into the 50 amp service using a 30 amp extension cord. All the power I could hope for and more.
homerbw is offline   Reply With Quote