Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2015, 10:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healeyman View Post
Lynn,

You have sharp eyes. I don't think that anyone else has ever picked up the Delco 1-wire alternator on the Ford engine.

The grooved valve covers were plain until I used a buddy's mill and grooved them. Then I made a matching air cleaner cover out of 1/4 aluminum plate.

I changed them because I wanted the 4 carbs and velocity stacks to stand out. With them, the grooved covers were "unsightly". Too distracting.

It probably goes without saying, but there is no "kit" to do any of this. EVERYTHING has to be invented.

HERE is a picture of the interior. The instrument cluster is from a 1969 Opel GT, fabric covered MGB seats, shortened Mustang T-handle shifter.

I've done everything but the exhaust system and the seat upholstery.

Tim

After spending over 55 years making my living working on cars etc. I should pick up on something.
I admire the will you have to tackle and complete a project like you have done. Nice work.
I restored my '67 Pontiac Firebird 400 conv. which I bought from a friend in 1983. I spent a couple years doing it in what little spare time I had. I opened my own repair shop the same year.
Unfortunately after having to work on cars all my working life I really don't care to do it as a hobby too.
Now, our race sleds, that is another matter. Building a bigger and better one now to run this season.
Lynn

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2015, 01:31 PM   #16

Now the ideas are jumping out at us!

Old 11-08-2015, 05:49 PM   #17

Looks like a really nice Healey.

Regarding adding a flasher to the 3rd brake light, I believe this is in violation of the federal motor vehicle lighting standard. A local Toyota dealer started adding this modification, but was advised to cease. No offense, or judgement of your modification, just offering the info.

Personally, I kinda like the idea except when sitting behind a Toyota with a constantly blinking center brake light when stopped in traffic (I see that your light defaults to a steady state after some delay).

Quote:
I recently added one of THESE flasher modules to the rear lights on the RV and a different (cheaper) unit which only flashes the 3rd, eye level, brake light to the towed

THEY both seem to work really well.

The RV lights and the towed 3rd light flash at different rates which really captures one's attention.

Tim

RV = Amazon.com: Signal Dynamics Back Off XP/Brake Light Signal Module: Automotive

Choice of 2 flash rate modes. Read in specs. I use mode 2.

Towed = Amazon.com: CARCHET Flash Strobe Controller Flasher Module for LED Brake Tail Stop Light: Automotive

Flash rate = 4 fast then 4 slow then steady while brake is on.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:07 PM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
Looking at Healeyman's links at Amazon, These flasher modules are mostly being used by motorcycles or other small profile autos. Not sure a flasher is necessary on the back of an RV. A flashing or strobe red brake light might very likely be illegal and you might get stopped.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Looks like a really nice Healey.

Regarding adding a flasher to the 3rd brake light, I believe this is in violation of the federal motor vehicle lighting standard. A local Toyota dealer started adding this modification, but was advised to cease. No offense, or judgement of your modification, just offering the info.

Personally, I kinda like the idea except when sitting behind a Toyota with a constantly blinking center brake light when stopped in traffic (I see that your light defaults to a steady state after some delay).
In reality, altering ANY LIGHT, ON ANY VEHICLE is in violation of parts of the FMVSS code book. I could go on for pages on this but suffice to say, you can do what you like to your cars/motor home lights/tail lights/brake lights/turn signals etc. and, getting "caught" for those alterations/additions/etc. all depends on how aware of any of the laws any LAW ENFORCEMENT officer is, when he/she is around your vehicle/coach etc. You may pass a thousand law enforcement officials for quite some time with your modifications and then, one night, you make a turn and are in front of an officer that is acutely aware of what's legal and what's not and ZAP, as Batman used to say, you're being pulled over.

Been there done that.

We purchased an '04 Jeep Rubicon with 18,000 miles on it a few years ago. The third brake light on it flashed for about 3 second period, then went solid, every time the brakes were applied. If you let off, and hit them again, it would repeat its sequence and then go solid. Living in California at the time of ownership of this particular vehicle, I was in front of CHP units several times and never got pulled over for it. We visited the Easter Jeep Safari for fourteen years straight and, I was on occasion, followed by Utah Highway Patrol and, again, no stops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Looking at Healeyman's links at Amazon, These flasher modules are mostly being used by motorcycles or other small profile autos. Not sure a flasher is necessary on the back of an RV. A flashing or strobe red brake light might very likely be illegal and you might get stopped.

Yep, as stated in my earlier post, I've installed the Signal Dynamics Wig Wag Brake light Modulator on our present Honda Goldwing. I've installed that same modulator on all my big bikes. It does have a selection of two flashing modes. But, at the end of either of those modes, it goes solid. If you let off the brakes and, hit them again, it will go through its selected flash mode and then, go solid and stay that way, 'till you take off from the stop light you're sitting at.

I do agree that for the most part, I don't think the wig-wag modulator would be of any value on a motor home. They're pretty darn big, I think people notice when they're stopping or, slowing down or, stopped. But, if one wants one on theirs, have at it.

Below is how it works on my present Honda Goldwing. It's not a good video but, you'll get the point. You can see the string I'm pulling in the upper right corner of the video. As I pull it, the hand brake on the handle bars triggers the Wig wag unit. When I release the string, no brake lights, pull on it, and the Wig wag goes through its sequence.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:40 PM   #20

Scott, that almost looks as though the operator was touching the brake lightly a couple of times prior to a steady application so I doubt would be that noticeable to LEO. For a motorcycle it is an attention grabber, much needed these days to awaken the texting.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
Scott, that almost looks as though the operator was touching the brake lightly a couple of times prior to a steady application so I doubt would be that noticeable to LEO. For a motorcycle it is an attention grabber, much needed these days to awaken the texting.
Yeah, I have it wired in such a way that, within a few minutes, I can alter the flash pattern to my liking. If I'm at a stop light, day or night, and no one's behind me but, drivers are approaching, I will run that pattern all the time they're approaching the back of me 'till they stop behind me. Heard a lot about M/C drivers getting rear ended 'cause drivers for some reason, just can't see them as they approach intersections.

But, on motorhome, they're so darn big, I'm really not sure that any more lighting back there would do any good. But, there's nothing wrong with experimenting, that's for sure. Good luck.

Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:05 AM   #22

Check Diamond Group 18", 20 dioad led lights, available on Amazon. I mounted two on the rear of our Lexington class c for added visibility. High enough that the toad dosen't block them, and they really light/brighten up.
In the pic's there the lights mounted higher up on the rear. Made by the same company thet made the OE rear led lights on the Lexi.
Grumpy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1667.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	111477   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1712.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	111478  

Name:	IMG_1714.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	111479  
Old 11-09-2015, 08:29 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
George,

A private owner is allowed to make ALL sorts of modifications that a dealer is not allowed to do.

Modify the exhaust system and change wheels/tires are a couple of examples.

Changing DOT required lighting probably falls in that category.

Tim
Old 11-09-2015, 08:38 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Not sure a flasher is necessary on the back of an RV. A flashing or strobe red brake light might very likely be illegal and you might get stopped.
In my 50+ years of driving, I have had two cars struck and totaled while I was driving them. BOTH were struck from the rear.

I tow a Miata.

The Miata before this one was butt-struck and totaled. The flashers on the back of the RV are NOT to protect the RV, but are additional "attention getting" devices for the Miata.

As far as it being illegal and getting stopped. Considering what I see to be the benefit, I'll take my chances....

Tim
Old 11-09-2015, 08:50 AM   #25

Don

I think you will like this 3rd brake light. It couldn't be much easier to install and the price is right! ($15 at WalMart) Amazon.com: Hitch Brake Light - SOLID-(Brake/Tail) Light For 2" Receiver: Automotive

Wait is this a sports cars pic thread?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	08vip17.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	111493   Click image for larger version

Name:	08vip11.1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	111494  

Name:	08vip11.2.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	111495  
Old 11-09-2015, 09:21 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
Wait is this a sports cars pic thread?
If not, there should be one.

I REALLY like yours!

Tim
Old 11-09-2015, 09:53 AM   #27

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
In my 50+ years of driving, I have had two cars struck and totaled while I was driving them. BOTH were struck from the rear.

I tow a Miata.

The Miata before this one was butt-struck and totaled. The flashers on the back of the RV are NOT to protect the RV, but are additional "attention getting" devices for the Miata.

As far as it being illegal and getting stopped. Considering what I see to be the benefit, I'll take my chances....

Tim
Tim, if you're going to quote me, include the full quote. I also said, "These flasher modules are mostly being used by motorcycles or other small profile autos. Not sure a flasher is necessary on the back of an RV. "

If you do a little Googling, you'll find many references to flashing brake lights in the U.S. They are not legal at this time. George Schweikle was spot on.

10 Car Options the Law Won't Let You Have

Pulse FAQ - Pulsing Not Flashing Third Brake Light Questions (It pulses the 3rd brake light while remaining lit steadily)

Flashing brake lights.

I agree, anything that makes your vehicle draw attention that you're stopping or turning is a noble goal, especially in these days of distracted drivers. However, the third link above points out that non-standard brake lights can acutually cause a following driver to hesitate due to the momentary confusion of the flashing lights. We've all seen big rigs outlined in lights like a house at Christmastime. These trucks seem to move on down the road and I'm sure that if they were being pulled over or fined they'd remove the offending lights.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:36 AM   #28

Quote:
If not, there should be one.

I REALLY like yours!

Tim
I have room for your Healey in my garage!

Tags
light, lights