Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2015, 10:55 AM   #29

You guys are killing me with those cars! I love all of them...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2015, 11:01 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Check Diamond Group 18", 20 dioad led lights, available on Amazon. I mounted two on the rear of our Lexington class c for added visibility. High enough that the toad dosen't block them, and they really light/brighten up.
In the pic's there the lights mounted higher up on the rear. Made by the same company thet made the OE rear led lights on the Lexi.
Grumpy
Those look as though they were OEM installed, very neat.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:40 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Tim, if you're going to quote me, include the full quote. I also said, "These flasher modules are mostly being used by motorcycles or other small profile autos. Not sure a flasher is necessary on the back of an RV.
For others, you have a point, I probably should have referenced your entire quote, although if they are following this thread, they have already read your full quote.

For ME, I didn't feel that the rest of your quote was germaine because I DO drive/tow an "other small profile autos".

Oops... There I did it again. I didn't include your whole quote.

To avoid angst, I will refrain from quoting you in the future.

Tim
Old 11-09-2015, 03:27 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
Those look as though they were OEM installed, very neat.
Thanks Monkey Run. Simple to do. Light wires exit the back, center. Just drilled a 3/8" hole for wires to enter coach, and two screw holes for upper/lower screws. Wires dropped stright down the hollow space in rear down to tail lights. Just spliced into OE lights.
Lights are sealed/waterproof, and really light up the back end when used.
Grumpy
Old 11-09-2015, 04:38 PM   #33

As an aside, I have been affiliated with the utility industry for years. Take a look at their trucks, stop and turn lights up both sides, generally as high as the truck box itself. Even the small, one man trucks, have additional lighting. While in that field I had an actual light bar mounted to my vehicles with rear front/rear turn lights, warning lights and spot lights. Never had a hassle from a cop.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:03 PM   #34

Typical of our government bureaucracy, I did finally find a general statement in the Fed code.

After January 1, 1964, every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer, and any other vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a combination of vehicles, shall be equipped with at least two tail lamps mounted on the rear, which, when lighted as required in RCW 46.37.020, shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of one thousand feet to the rear, except that passenger cars manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1939, shall have at least one tail lamp. On a combination of vehicles only the tail lamps on the rearmost vehicle need actually be seen from the distance specified. On vehicles equipped with more than one tail lamp, the lamps shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable.

(2) Every tail lamp upon every vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than seventy-two inches nor less than fifteen inches.

(3) Either a tail lamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate and render it clearly legible from a distance of fifty feet to the rear. Any tail lamp or tail lamps, together with any separate lamp or lamps for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be so wired as to be lighted whenever the head lamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lighted.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:14 PM   #35

Quote:
Typical of our government bureaucracy, I did finally find a general statement in the Fed code.

After January 1, 1964, every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer, and any other vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a combination of vehicles, shall be equipped with at least two tail lamps mounted on the rear, which, when lighted as required in RCW 46.37.020, shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of one thousand feet to the rear, except that passenger cars manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1939, shall have at least one tail lamp. On a combination of vehicles only the tail lamps on the rearmost vehicle need actually be seen from the distance specified. On vehicles equipped with more than one tail lamp, the lamps shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable.

(2) Every tail lamp upon every vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than seventy-two inches nor less than fifteen inches.

(3) Either a tail lamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate and render it clearly legible from a distance of fifty feet to the rear. Any tail lamp or tail lamps, together with any separate lamp or lamps for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be so wired as to be lighted whenever the head lamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lighted.
Hummm?
I'd think the lights Grumpy posted will be ideal. Amazon has them for $15.50. I may have to get a pair.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:23 PM   #36

Now I need to find a regulation regarding the turn lights, that is where I was initially heading with this thread. If you notice, many trucks have the dual facing turn lamps, amber in color facing front and rear so your intentions will be seen at the side in addition to the front and rear view.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:09 PM   #37

Quote:

Don,
Ahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, I knew I'd seen that regulation before. I'd looked it up myself after I was pulled over for the HID Headlights I'm running on my Honda Goldwing. The CHP that pulled me over, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY HOUSE I should say, was actually a pretty cool cop. We talked for about an hour. But, he's the one that told me that NO lights, on any vehicle can be altered, IN ANY WAY. He had the FMVSS book with him but, was having a hard time finding the right statute.

Anyway, that's why I mentioned early on in this thread. Now, again, if you plan on installing ones higher than the supposed "legal" limit in height, you'd have to find the most anal cop who'd worry about things like that. Unless you made your additional new turn signal and brake lights so obnoxious and blinding, I doubt seriously you'd ever get hassled. Good luck and do take pics when done will ya. I'm a stickler for lighting.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:02 AM   #38

Scott,

I not actually modifying any lights, just adding another set of stop/turn but I'll stick to the max limit for height.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:22 PM   #39

Quote:
Scott,

I not actually modifying any lights, just adding another set of stop/turn but I'll stick to the max limit for height.
You know,
I actually realized that you weren't MODIFYING any AFTER I did the last post, just adding some. But, again, while about 99.999% of the law enforcement out there has better things to deal with, you might, just might, run into that anal one that has a "thing" for lighting and, all the legalities of it. Hopefully, with the goal of being seen better, you will not run into that one ANAL cop.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:14 PM   #40

In NYS the governor uses the SP for income generators. No potential ticket goes unwritten. At any rate, the lighting project is on my list of things to do. Immediately after I finish covering my boat, taking down two trees, splitting a pile of wood and cleaning the chimney now that my back is recovering from my last project.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:23 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Wow - I am illegal !!! Like who cares. I have added in the front very bright LED Chicken lights on lower edge just in front of front wheel. NOW DON'T TELL ME YOU DIDN'T KNOW I WAS TURNING HERE.

I also installed large round LED stop/tail lamps on the lower rear panel and since I pull a trailer mounted a few more LED stop/tail up high about a foot down from the marker lights.

Now when I put on the brakes you can see a brake light even if you are looking up down or a big rig two vehicles behind my trailer. Did I ever get a ticket - NO and if I did I'll send them the check in the mail.

And OH ! those crappy incandescent factory lights can not even be seen in the day time and take about 2-3 second to eliminate at night after the LED's.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:17 PM   #42

I would say you pretty much nailed the issue, a ticket, if presented, does not outweigh the potential for accident avoidance.

Tags
light, lights