Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2015, 11:24 AM   #43

Mine are stock but did change out to led.

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2015, 11:46 AM   #44

$40 and an hour or so to mount.

mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:38 PM   #45
WDW

What brand / source for your add on stop lights? Those are great!

Taking in the sights ...where my Trolley takes me.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35BH
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:44 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post

Check on Amazon, they have those same strip lights.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 05:26 AM   #47

Also check Amazon for Diamond Group 18" LED Light Strip, #52436. Thats what I installed on our Lexington. Waterproof and look factory.
Grumpy
Old 11-14-2015, 07:29 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post

Yes they were on amazon.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:55 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Monkey Run,
While I applaud your intent and, for good reasoning, one thing I'd do if I were you before starting this venture is, check your DMV code book and possibly FMVSS book for codes on lights and, parameters. If I recall, there are limitations on heights etc. for brake lights, turn signals etc. I'd hate for you to go through all this alteration and fabrication only to he hassled by some irate LE who's got nothing better to do. There are some coaches out there with more tail lights on the rear than "Carter has liver pills" if you know what I mean.
I forget who the makers/brands/models are but, there's some that have as many as SIX OR EIGHT full lights, ON EACH SIDE, FROM THE FACTORY.

So, good luck and, please post pics when you're done.
Scott
MCI has some pretty high up lights.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:39 PM   #50

Great picture Road Hogg! Indeed, that bus lighting is similar to many utility type trucks etc. The section of federal code I found places a minimum of lights required, not a maximum. Also sets the height at 72" if I recall.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:47 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
Great picture Road Hogg! Indeed, that bus lighting is similar to many utility type trucks etc. The section of federal code I found places a minimum of lights required, not a maximum. Also sets the height at 72" if I recall.
Ya, that's really odd. 72"=6' Those lights are WAY higher than six feet...those are closer to eight or more feet up.. There seems to be a contradiction...I'm not trying to cause trouble, it just seems contradictory.

Your post "(2) Every tail lamp upon every vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than seventy-two inches nor less than fifteen inches."

That sounds to me like minimum 15" and maximum 72". Very strange the federal code seems to say different.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:12 PM   #52

Imagine that, contradiction within federal code. Frankly, I'm not concerned re the height, mine will not exceed that anyway.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:14 PM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
Imagine that, contradiction within federal code. Frankly, I'm not concerned re the height, mine will not exceed that anyway.
Good point...I'm like that though, the need to know. I need to just forget it sometimes.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:46 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadHogg View Post
Good point...I'm like that though, the need to know. I need to just forget it sometimes.
Oh I am anal as can be with needing to know also! But when the feds and states can't even keep it straight, how are we supposed to
Old 11-15-2015, 06:31 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
here is all that I find on LIghts.
First the secret word is "REQUIRED". which sets the minimum.

39:3-66. All lamps, reflectors and other illuminating devices [required by this article] equipped on a motor vehicle shall be kept clean and in good working order and, as far as practicable, shall be mounted in such a manner as to reduce the likelihood of their being obscured by mud or dust thrown up by the wheels. (cf: R.S.39:3-66) 3. This act shall take effect on the first day of the second month following enactment. 10 11 12 STATEMENT 13 14 This bill requires that all lamps or other illuminating devices equipped on a motor vehicle be kept in good working order.

Under current law, only the minimum number of lighting devices required by statute to be installed on a motor vehicle must be kept in working order. For example, the Motor Vehicle Code (Title 39) requires that vehicles have at least two brake lights; therefore, under current law, only two brake lights must be functional, notwithstanding that many newer cars have three or more brake lights. This bill is in response to a recent Appellate Division case (State 24 v. McDade) where the defendant moved to suppress evidence of a driving while intoxicated offense on the grounds that the police 26 officer had no legal basis for stopping the vehicle because, even though a light was out, the car still had the minimum required number of working lights. This bill would make it an equipment 29 violation if any lighting device installed on a vehicle is not in working order.
Part 393
PARTS AND ACCESSORIES NECESSARY FOR SAFE OPERATION
< 392 | 395 >
393.3: Additional equipment and accessories.

The use of additional equipment or accessories in a manner that decreases the safety of operation of a commercial motor vehicle in interstate commerce is prohibited. Nothing contained in this subchapter shall be construed to prohibit the use of additional equipment and accessories, not inconsistent with or prohibited by this subchapter, provided such equipment and accessories do not decrease the safety of operation of the motor vehicles on which they are used.
Citation: [78 FR 58484, Sept. 24, 2013]
(a) All lamps required by this subpart shall be capable of being operated at all times. This paragraph shall not be construed to require that any auxiliary or additional lamp be capable of operating at all times.

(b) Lamps and reflective devices/material required by this subpart must not be obscured by the tailboard, or by any part of the load, or its covering by dirt, or other added vehicle or work equipment, or otherwise. Exception: The conspicuity treatments on the front end protection devices may be obscured by part of the load being transported

So as I interpret what I read it does not prohibit added light as long as they are not confusing or decrease the effectiveness of the "required" minimums. Missing from all this are words like "Shall" and "May" which I normally find in written laws or standards.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:14 PM   #56

Gulf Streamers Club
ladagobago, that's fine for New Jersey, but what about the other 49 states? I know it's not in common use, but common sense says that adding LED lights higher on the back of your RV to make it more visible should be fine. All bets are off if they blink, change color, or play Christmas music.

Starting in 1968 I wired up a string of Christmas lights to decorate the rear window of my VW microbus. I had many folks caution me that it was 'illegal' to have those muli-colored lights in the rear window. I used to drive from Indiana to New Jersey each Christmas and never got anything but compliments from state, local police and deputiy sheriffs in the many years I had them. They didn't blink or strobe, that was the only thing I was ever asked about them.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights