Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2015, 08:38 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
WDW,

My plan is to place the LED stop lights up at 72" per the Federal guidelines. Additionally, as you mentioned, two side mount on the front cap tied into the turn lamps. I have searched the codes and not found any regulation for red/amber placement for side turn lights, but I will be sticking with all amber as those are quite often used for rear turn lamps also.
The amber front, red rear lens turn lights are street-legal, as are the amber/amber lights. No front-looking red or blue lights are allowed, except for emergency vehicles. (Indiana code)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2015, 09:35 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
The amber front, red rear lens turn lights are street-legal, as are the amber/amber lights. No front-looking red or blue lights are allowed, except for emergency vehicles. (Indiana code)

I suspected as much but finding any federal law relative to that is not real easy it seems. My project won't get a kick in the butt until mid winter, still upholstery work to finish etc, but I want to have the lights picked out, priced out and ordered well in advance. Won't bother mounting any blue lights on the coach, won't be responding with it anyway .
Old 11-21-2015, 10:10 PM   #73

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
I suspected as much but finding any federal law relative to that is not real easy it seems. My project won't get a kick in the butt until mid winter, still upholstery work to finish etc, but I want to have the lights picked out, priced out and ordered well in advance. Won't bother mounting any blue lights on the coach, won't be responding with it anyway .
I wouldn't put any red light, regardless of where it faces, ahead of the rear of the vehicle...whether that be on the rear or on the side at the rear most location. A red light part way back on a long vehicle can confuse others at night and may cause someone to collide with said vehicle aft of that side mounted red light, if they mistake that light for being at or near the rear of the vehicle...as would be reasonable to do.

All other lights on the side and front must be amber...except of course headlights.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:16 AM   #74

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Absolutely accurate. It is a shame more people don't understand what they are talking about. Some even make statements as FACT that are not fact at all. THis type of light has been on trucks since I was a kid. 74 years ago. They used to be on the front fenders. Now a days there are no discernible front fenders.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:22 AM   #75

This has been a good thread. While I commented earlier about the legality of an additional flashing brake light, I'm all for anything that might prevent a rear end collision.

Here's the Wikipedia entry after searching for information about FMVSS108 (I even learned about the flashing headlight found on newer motorcycles).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automo...mp_.28CHMSL.29
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:18 PM   #76

National RV Owners Club
Remember that most of the traffic on the road is cars. NHTSA requirements are:
Rear Light Requirements

A pair of red brake lights; a pair of red taillights, used to indicate the trailer's width; a pair of yellow or red turn signals; and a single white license-plate light must be present on the rear in the United States. Most of the lights, with the exception of the license-plate light, must be placed as far apart as possible at a symmetrical height between 15 and 72 inches, according to the NHTSA. The license-plate light must be mounted directly above or to the side of the license plate.
jimnkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:29 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
This has been a good thread. While I commented earlier about the legality of an additional flashing brake light, I'm all for anything that might prevent a rear end collision.

Here's the Wikipedia entry after searching for information about FMVSS108 (I even learned about the flashing headlight found on newer motorcycles).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automo...mp_.28CHMSL.29
Certainly agree with your assessment George, even us old guys can learn by hashing out ideas with each other! All in a civil manor too, imagine that!
Old 11-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #78

Adding Additional Stop/Turn Lights

I added an additional side marker/turn light and a pair of brake lights on our 04 Phaeton. Recently traded it and have plans to add the same to our new Discovery. I really like adding side marker/turn lights for better visibility. I also added some 3/4" led marker lights on front and back side corners.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448236114.770072.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	112591

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448236139.549207.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	312.2 KB
ID:	112592

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448236169.642708.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	112593
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448236228.444769.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	112594   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448236250.430628.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	112595  

sims5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:29 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by sims5 View Post
I added an additional side marker/turn light and a pair of brake lights on our 04 Phaeton. Recently traded it and have plans to add the same to our new Discovery. I really like adding side marker/turn lights for better visibility. I also added some 3/4" led marker lights on front and back side corners.
Attachment 112591
Attachment 112592
Attachment 112593
I see the large yellow marker/turn has a peak so as to be seen from front and rear, what is the small circular light? Is that just a marker light or does that blink also? Assume you wired both from the front turn lights?
Old 11-23-2015, 05:05 AM   #80

The small 3/4 led lights are marker lights only. The two oval lights are marker/turn signals.
sims5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:54 AM   #81

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sims5 View Post
The small 3/4 led lights are marker lights only. The two oval lights are marker/turn signals.
I like your side marker/turn as well as my own. What some folks here still do not understand or fail to read is that the FEDERAL regulations are for Manufacturers and designers to meet the MINIMUM and universal standards. In my earlier post I told of my phone call to the Washington DC, too the people who really KNOW what they are talking about as they are the regulators and final word. any lights the owner may add are allowed IF they do not obscure or confuse the intent of the REQUIRED minimum lights.

Remember the old days - 1944 - most trucks and trailers only had on the left side, one round 3" tail light/ brake light which also was a plate light with a clear lens on the bottom. Thing changed in the '60s when they made new rules which are same rules today. Stand by for newer rules in the near future as the laws catch up to technology. These will be for cars that are self driven, or lights for deceleration or lights for automatic controlled deceleration with engine
braking.

IF you replace your existing manufactures lamps with your own choice, you might be in violation of removing an approved device. If you leave them there and add more lights you will still be OK and in compliance. the existing lamps must work. Added lamps must work the same as existing.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:17 AM   #82

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
pictures of historical lights on trucks etc.

I have accumulated pictures to show the evolution of lights on vehicles. Things change and so do opinions and laws. I also have a large file on studies which I may put on my blog. I work hard to find solutions and also help change laws. It only takes one person to make it right.

I find it interest that the law does not inhibit signage on the back including video screen to indicate thing like turning right or even a "thank you". Of course the law does say 'yield to bus' entering roadway. Just not a MH.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	history lights.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	112627  
Old 11-23-2015, 08:09 AM   #83

Love that 55 Imperial, my dad drove a 300, about the same vintage, in black.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:35 PM   #84

Winnebago Owners Club

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1448310777.599385.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	112641Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1448310801.730315.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	112642Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1448310818.611613.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	112643
Ok just installed my added brake/driving lights. Cost $25 and sitting on cold concert.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Tags
light, lights