Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2015, 06:47 AM   #1

Adding Coolant

Do you add cooland Cold or Hot

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2015, 07:02 AM   #2

If you are talking about adding coolant to the engine overflow antifreeze reservoir, normally there is a HOT line and a COLD line showing. When the engine is hot the liquid should be up towards the HOT line. When cold it should be down towards the cold mark. Just add enough to match your engine temperature.

If you are referring to adding coolant directly to the engine, then by all means add it when the engine is cold. Removing a hot radiator cap is dangerous.

Depending on weather you have a gas or diesel engine, matching antifreeze types is important. Diesel engines don't like to have you mixing the wrong types of antifreeze together.

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:24 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamike View Post
Do you add cooland Cold or Hot
Here is a link to a thread that may help you understand how these systems are designed to work: How The Motorhome Coolant Overflow Reservoir Works
Old 02-27-2015, 10:14 AM   #4

Thanks You
Old 02-27-2015, 10:21 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have a ford f53 it is very important not to overfill being a closed system it can crack if to full. we were at a Camping world campground and 1 of our camping group took delivery on a brand new Winnie and in pre delivery they overfilled and cracked the tank told him to call a ford dlr ,they finally got the part in 3 days later dumb dumb dumb they have a lot full of new fords and cant get a 100g customer on the road ,if I were in control of CW there would be service training ,firings and bonus in place I guarantee you I could have CW with the best ratings in the industry in 90 days. I do have some experience in running a business so I am not just bloviating
brianj
brianj
Old 02-27-2015, 11:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tncruiser View Post
If you have a ford f53 it is very important not to overfill being a closed system it can crack if to full. we were at a Camping world campground and 1 of our camping group took delivery on a brand new Winnie and in pre delivery they overfilled and cracked the tank told him to call a ford ...
brianj
brianj
Do you mean there isn't a radiator pressure cap? I thought most automotive cooling systems were considered "closed" in that there isn't any air in the circulating system, but they have a pressure cap to allow antifreeze to escape into a overflow tank or be sucked back into the radiator when cool.

In the old days there wasn't any overflow tank and we would leave antifreeze level about 1 inch below the cap for expansion. But even those systems had a cap that blew hot antifreeze all over the road if the engine got to hot and the antifreeze couldn't expand anymore.

Could you help educate this old Southerner?
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:01 AM   #7

Don`t worry, old Southerner, very little has changed in cooling systems. The story about overfilling a " closed system" and cracking something, just isn`t true.

The tank must have been cracked, during assembly.

Enjoy
Old 02-28-2015, 02:35 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Don`t worry, old Southerner, very little has changed in cooling systems. The story about overfilling a " closed system" and cracking something, just isn`t true.

The tank must have been cracked, during assembly.

Enjoy
that may be true how ever it sure was cracked and after seeing it I would be very cautious about over filling . I don't see a pressure cap on the tank just a cap that seals the tank, and you are so right the cooling systems on to-days cars aren,t much different that 75 years ago ,better liquids but same physics, I remember when I was a kid cracked blocks from freezing was pretty common
brianj