Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2016, 03:30 PM   #1

Adding Fan to Dometic Fridge

I've come to the conclusion that my fridge is likely underperforming due to the lack of air flow across the condensers combined with the extreme ambient temps. I have 4 120mm PC fans on order. I plan on installing them either at the vent or on top of the condenser fins, but likely at the vent.

What I'm unsure of is how to wire these in to 12v. I've looked at the Dometic wiring diagram and can't really make out where I can get 12v energized when the fridge is turned on.

I would suspect that the on/off button on the fridge energizes a 12v circuit that lights the control panel and the main board. I'm just not sure where that circuit is. Before I go poking around with my multimeter and short something out I wanted to see if anyone here has done this and can point to the right wire that will accomplish the task, if one exists.

I won't be able to get one of the clip on thermostats in time so making a temp based solution like I see on some OEM units won't be an option. If there is no 12v wire that energizes only when the fridge is on I guess my next best option it to put them straight to the battery and just disconnect them when the trip is over or I don't need them.

My specific model is a Dometic 1292 (side by side model).

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2016, 04:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Put the fans on a thermostat and let that turn them on/off as needed. Wire to any available 12v supply before it reaches the fridge itself.

Or, for more safety as well as fan control, add an ARP fridge boiler monitor and fan relay. See http://www.arprv.com/

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:32 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I installed a single fan at the bottom, it is a higher velocity type.

I pulled 12 volt power from the 12 volt wire feeding the fridge, easy to see. I then used a snap disc that mounted on the metal tubing on the back of the fridge. As soon as the fridge heating unit comes on the fan will start. Just wire the snap disc between the fridge 12 volt circuit and the line feeding your bank of small fans.

Here is a thermal snap disc similar to what I used, I just attached it to the tubing before it goes to the stack

Norcold 618093 | eBay
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:07 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I am getting ready to add 2 fans as well. Looks like mine already has a fan, but I would guess it has quit Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1468721212.501846.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	133235Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1468721255.545093.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	133236working since temps have gone up in the last few weeks.
I found my owners and installation manuals, lots of different models, but not yours. On the different models in my book, the all seem to,have a 12 V terminal block that is stand alone. Most are on the left half, a few on the right half.
Attached are a couple of photos of my owners book. Hope, this helps.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:40 PM   #5

Fans should be near the top of the coils, per Norcold and Dometic installation manuals.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:51 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
No doubt the fans should be at the coils but without removing the refrigerator from the enclosure that is essentially impossible to do.

The type of I purchased is directional in that it has a longer tube the fan is mounted in. It does direct air movement up, which once heated by the coils will continue moving up via convection. As long as air is moving across the coils it is doing it's job.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:03 AM   #7

You may want to also add a 12v clip on fan, clips to the fridge fins, on the inside. Easy to wire to the interior light. That's some of the remedies I tried before just giving up and going residential.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:07 AM   #8

Here is the manual, it shows the 12v terminal block. Also, attached are the instructions on adding a Dometic Power Ventilator (similar to computer cooling fan) to a Dometic 2 door refrigerator. If your using more than one fan wire them in parallel.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:35 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Adding Fan to Dometic Fridge

bizee...... I also have a Dometic 1292 in my DS. I just recently upgraded the 3 three-inch aux fans (which were failing) to a bank of 3 five-inch fans (see pic).

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1468780349.456304.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  97.0 KB

The +12V tap is as shown (labeled) on the back of the unit at the floor. (Red wire coming from right, to +12V tap)

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1468780394.519623.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  119.4 KB

I never bothered to check if the power point is switched with the fridge because the fan wiring itself is both hard switched and Thermo switched.

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1468780507.214379.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  112.6 KB

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat330, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:02 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
I wired internal computer fans to the light switch for air circulation on our Dometic.

When the door closes the light goes off and fans begin to spin.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
You may want to also add a 12v clip on fan, clips to the fridge fins, on the inside. Easy to wire to the interior light. That's some of the remedies I tried before just giving up and going residential.

I've been using this one since '03:

Dometic Refrigerator Fan to Increase Cooling Inside Deluxe Custom Built | eBay

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 07-17-2016, 01:41 PM   #12

Thanks all... I was hoping there was a 12v circuit that was energized when the unit is on, but it looks like I'll need to go to a thermostat and/or manual switch.

I don't think my Dometic 1292 has a fan on it as there is not one in the diagram. I am now debating if I should mount them at the exit vent so I have all that air being pulled through the stack, or if I should mount them directly on top of the conderser cooling fins so it is pulling air past them and (ideally) blowing it out the vent. It's basically the same thing, just not sure which gives the best laminar flow and cooling. I'm leaning towards mounting them at the vent though.

Mounting below the cooling fins and blowing upwards (push) is not an option short term as I would have to remove the unit to do that.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:25 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizee View Post
Thanks all... I was hoping there was a 12v circuit that was energized when the unit is on, but it looks like I'll need to go to a thermostat and/or manual switch.

I don't think my Dometic 1292 has a fan on it as there is not one in the diagram. I am now debating if I should mount them at the exit vent so I have all that air being pulled through the stack, or if I should mount them directly on top of the conderser cooling fins so it is pulling air past them and (ideally) blowing it out the vent. It's basically the same thing, just not sure which gives the best laminar flow and cooling. I'm leaning towards mounting them at the vent though.

Mounting below the cooling fins and blowing upwards (push) is not an option short term as I would have to remove the unit to do that.

Click on the link below and look at my posts # 25 & 44. Maybe this will give you some ideas!

Fridge vent fans

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizee View Post

The 12V heater units are energized when the frig is running-on any power source.
The external fans are mounted at the top of the cooling coils/tubing, not underneath them, for maximum effect. I mounted mine by removing the roof vent and reaching down to the top of the cooling coils.
These fans are extremely important for a frig mounted in a slideout, because the top N bottom side vents prevent proper convection cooling.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, fan, fridge