Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2017, 03:19 PM   #1

Smile Adding Solar to existing inverter/Charger

Hi All my First Post ,
Just picked up a 1986 Dodge B250 Camper Van.
And want to add an 80 W solar panel and connect to the existing system.
It has an Charger/Inverter I don't think it's a Inverter, I think it charges the batteries while plugged into shore power. it currently has starter battery,Coach Battery and in Isolator.
I want to add another coach battery and connect the solar panels to the existing system.

My Question: If I connect to the existing system( add the new deep cell and connect the solar direct to the coach battery's). will the current from the solar panel cause any problems with the vintage Charger/Inverter ? I want the solar panels to charge the starter battery as well.
Attached Images

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2017, 03:28 PM   #2

You need a charge controller

Sent from my LG-H910 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app

Old 09-26-2017, 03:38 PM   #3

I do have a charge controller. Thanks
Old 09-26-2017, 03:44 PM   #4

Based on this image, I can just connect direct to the pair of Coach battery's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RVdwg.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	177916  
Old 09-26-2017, 04:00 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The solar charge controller AND the converter are separate entities,

They each look at the voltage of the battery bank, and react accordingly.

Whoever gets to the party first, will kick into the Charge mode. This will cause the voltage to rise and trick the other controller...as it will see the higher voltage and decide it's NOT time to charge.

If you want one to take priority...you may need to stack the deck.

As an example...let's say that your solar controller only puts out 5 amps (80w panel)...and your converter puts out 55 amps. If your solar kicks in before the converter...your time to fully charge will go up significantly. Having a switch on your PV panel input will allow you to temporarily disable solar. Once the voltage reaches the recharge point the converter will kick in. At that point you can reinstate the solar. The opposite is also possible, should you prefer a solar charge to the converter charge. Other techniques are available....but dependent on the specific type of controller and charger you have.

An 80w system is hardly enough. I would recommend two 100 watt panels as a minimum. They are capable of reliably putting out 10amps of charge. I would put in a selector switch on the battery side. 1-2-OFF on the battery side...and an On-Off on the panel side.

Just turn OFF the photovotaic side of the system. Switch the output side to the selected battery bank...house vs chassis...then reinstate the PV side. You'll be doing well to maintain the batteries when not being used for much. If shore power is available...the converter will do a much better job of supplying 12v power and charging the battery than a 80w panel will ever do.

If you decide to install more than 700 watts of solar...then you may have periods that the solar can equal or exceed the converter. All depends on the amperage of the converter(Charger).

My converter is a component within the 2800w pure sine wave inverter in my coach. It can put out 125a of charge current. My 1440w of solar can only put out 100a...and more than likely only put out 80-85amps. So, if shore power is available....I charge faster on the Inverters charger. If shore is not available...then solar is all I have without starting the generator...so it will do the charging.

I hope this makes sense. Let us know if there is a specific goal you have in mind, as far as using solar.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:52 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Sorry I can't help with your question. Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, inverter, solar