Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2007, 06:04 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a sofa/dinette super slide on our 2000 Winnebago Adventurer 37G. There is a forward-facing side window on the sofa side, which is closest to the pilot's chair. There is no backward-facing side window on the dinette side, however (it's just wall). We have no backward facing windows in our coach whatsoever and are considering having one put in behind the dinnette so that we can see backwards when parked with slide out.

Has anyone ever had a side window added onto a slide? Of course, we would have it professionally done, but I'm wondering if anyone could think of any reason why not to do this. Thanks!
Doula is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2007, 06:04 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a sofa/dinette super slide on our 2000 Winnebago Adventurer 37G. There is a forward-facing side window on the sofa side, which is closest to the pilot's chair. There is no backward-facing side window on the dinette side, however (it's just wall). We have no backward facing windows in our coach whatsoever and are considering having one put in behind the dinnette so that we can see backwards when parked with slide out.

Has anyone ever had a side window added onto a slide? Of course, we would have it professionally done, but I'm wondering if anyone could think of any reason why not to do this. Thanks!
Old 09-16-2007, 06:20 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Look on the Winnie site for the model of your motorhome and verify that no wiring is running through the wall. Most likely there is none. Other than that, there should be no issues I can think of. Many slides have windows in all three sides of the slide so structure integrity really is not an issue.

There is one install note I can think of though. In a bedroom slide I had in a 5ver, one of the side windows in the slide was a bear to push open. I later discovered that when the factory cut the opening, it was such a tight fit that the slightest flex of the slide caused binding of the window frame and the window would not open. The fix would be to insure that the window you select for the wall has about 1/4" of room around the inside frame. When the trim is added and caulked the seal will be solid, but the window will still open.

Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 06:23 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our Fleetwood Southwind had a window at each end of the sofa/dinette slide and the bedroom slide had the same setup.

Our new Destination has no windows in the end of the slides. I am curious if windows in the end of slides proved to be a problem or if they just weren't popular. I know we miss having them.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 06:49 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Sarge,

That was a very informative post. Thank you so much! We would definitely keep your suggestions in mind if we go through with this. We are just in the "consideration" mode right now and haven't looked into what may be behind the wall yet, what a project such as this would cost, etc.

~Lori
Old 09-16-2007, 06:54 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wthomas1:
...Our new Destination has no windows in the end of the slides. I am curious if windows in the end of slides proved to be a problem or if they just weren't popular. I know we miss having them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Our coach is a 2000, so it's quite a bit older than yours, but I would be interested to know whether they were a problem or just unpopular as well. All I know is that I'd really love to have just one rear window. It obviously wasn't a big enough deal for us to decide against purchasing it, but we are still missing some great views because we can't see behind us.

~Lori
Old 09-17-2007, 01:04 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doula:

Has anyone ever had a side window added onto a slide? Of course, we would have it professionally done, but I'm wondering if anyone could think of any reason why not to do this. Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Todd,

Call Winnebago and ask them. Their techs do a pretty good job of steering you in the right direction and will most likely provide the schematics for getting the job done right. They may even have a dealer they can reccomend for this type of upgrade.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:45 AM   #8

Take a look at RV Surplus up in Elkhart. They sell windows and just about anything else you need. I would not hesitate to install one myself. If I can remember the web site I will post a link. Like all before said just don't cut through any wiring although I doubt there is any in a side wall of a slide. One thing to consider is the ability of the slide seal to stand up to goind over the window on each in and out cycle. I would consider a slide open window rather than any crank open jus to keep the rough edges to a minimum.

1997 Damon Challenger
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:23 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the advice, NeilV and Matt B.

Matt B: The forward-facing window on the sofa side is an up-and-down sliding window, so that is probably what we would shoot for as well for the other side. All of our windows are sliding, except for two crank windows in the bedroom.

~Lori
Old 09-17-2007, 06:18 PM   #10

Our Dutch Star has 110-v outlets and switches for lights in the ends of the slideouts. It has windows on each end and there is framing inside the walls for the windows. Does Winnebago put framing in the ends of the slides? If there is no frame for the windows how do you install them?
Old 09-17-2007, 07:59 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Norm,

I hope that you're not asking ME about the window framing, because I don't know! lol I guess we'll have to investigate as to exactly what construction is in that area before making the decision. We do have the one forward-facing window on the front end of the slide. I'm not sure (still haven't checked yet)if the other end was constructed the same or not sans window. I really don't know why this model was made with only the one end window, but maybe there is a good reason, although I really don't think there is any wiring at that location. I guess my husband or I will give Winnebago a call soon to inquire. When we do, I'll be sure to post what they say.

~Lori