Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The estimate for the double dome is $865. That isn't workable.

Charlie

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2010, 08:29 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Charles: Questions in an earlier post (reply #5) -you were concerned that the inner trim of the skylight may not be original. It is identical to mine. The top of that trim piece is a soft rubber gasket to prevent condensation from getting behind the trim...the skylight flange sits on that gasket. The bottom of my trim piece has 9 screws through the ceiling fiberglass of the shower and into the bottom of that wood frame you are replacing..
Your built up roof thickness will have to provide for a seal in that area...

hope that helps...

Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Charles: Questions in an earlier post (reply #5) -you were concerned that the inner trim of the skylight may not be original. It is identical to mine. The top of that trim piece is a soft rubber gasket to prevent condensation from getting behind the trim...the skylight flange sits on that gasket. The bottom of my trim piece has 9 screws through the ceiling fiberglass of the shower and into the bottom of that wood frame you are replacing..
Your built up roof thickness will have to provide for a seal in that area...

hope that helps...

Hooligan, I suspect that our setups are a bit different.

With my last picture, I was trying to say that the flange of the skylight sat right on the rubber membrane, where the caulk line was. That is about 2" wider than the trim that you can see in that picture. There was no gasket of any kind under the caulk.

The trim pieces in the ceiling of the shower are inside the shower walls by the same amount. So the flange of the skylight sits on the membrane, which covers the structural wood. The glass shower wall screws into that same wood (on 3 sides) as the skylight does from the top.

I'm really leaning toward buying the exact sized replacement skylight because I really don't want to get into reframing the glass shower in any way. I know that I can probably add additional framing members but then they would be offset from the top or bottom.

I know that this is hard to visualize and I'm already on top of a 10 foot step ladder, set back from the wall of the MH to snap the pictures.

Charlie
Old 08-13-2010, 03:35 AM   #18
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Charlie, If I understand you correctly, this will cause a lot of moisture trapped in the shower when and shortly after use. Yours is the first I have seen; where the glass surround of the shower reaches the ceiling. Almost all are open at the top for ventilation. You will need to leave the shower door open for 15 minutes or so to let the moisture out after showering. Have you contacted Georgie Boy's parts dept. for a price of the OEM sky lite?
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:12 AM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Charlie, If I understand you correctly, this will cause a lot of moisture trapped in the shower when and shortly after use. Yours is the first I have seen; where the glass surround of the shower reaches the ceiling. Almost all are open at the top for ventilation. You will need to leave the shower door open for 15 minutes or so to let the moisture out after showering. Have you contacted Georgie Boy's parts dept. for a price of the OEM sky lite?

Mike, I'm embarrassed. Before I took this picture, I would have sworn to you that the metal parts of the shower wall (not the glass because I knew that there was a gap) went all the way to the ceiling on either side of the door. The picture doesn't lie. They do not.

In my defense, I never went out and physically looked before posting so I was doing it all from memory. Note to self: take pictures from all vantage points for all future projects.

1. I assume that such a skylight would come with something similar to the frame shown in this latest picture. I also assume that the depth of that frame may be something that I have to modify. If not, where could I get materials for the frame?
2. Assuming that I re-frame the support wood in the roof, I expect that I would be adding wood, not taking any of the existing, undamaged wood out. I say this because of my concern about leaving the ceiling material unsupported. In addition to the one screw that is visible in the photo, there are 4 more around the outer edge of that ceiling material. They all appear to be tied into the support wood for the skylight.
3. As this develops, I may go to Home Depot and Lowes today and see if they could special order 5 sided skylights. I cannot believe that their costs are going to be worse than that of the single RV vendor that I've found.

I'm more and more wishing that I was retired. This would be so much easier to do if I didn't have to flip-flop working on it with my job and this week's travel for it. I just completed a bathroom remodel at my sticks and bricks home (it took nearly a year because of my ugly barn replacement project). It was much easier to keep my head straight on that than I've been able to do on this.

Thanks for your patience with me.

Charlie

While my statements about the shower wall tie in were inaccurate, my concern about changing the opening was not. Note that the picture shows the back of the shower being one piece with the part of the ceiling outside the frame for the skylight.

Thank you for your questions which forced me to look closer at the underside.

The problem at hand remains. A square skylight replacement will force me to re-frame over top of the shower wall. Let's assume that I do that anyway.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:37 AM   #20
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Look at it from the bottom side; remove trim and call Georgie Boy.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:49 AM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Update:

Mike, I wanted to let you know that I'm following your instructions. Here are pictures this morning with the inside trim removed.

You probably understand as well as I that Georgie Boy (GBM) is no more. It was bought out by Coachman about 5 years ago. More recently, there was another change and the company is now Forest River. I had tried to work with them a year ago to get hinge parts for my compartment doors. The effort was exasperating but I finally prevailed and got what I needed.

For this project, the first thing that I did was to call my local dealer. He told me that GBM et. all parts are now handled by RV Shop and provided an 800 number. They are someplace on in Pacific time. I've called them and left several messages but they never return my calls. Today, I will become "very persistent" in reaching them. It was their failure to even return my calls and my previous experience that drove me out into to the overall RV parts market place.

I'm very comfortable replacing the rotted wood in the frame, as shown by the pictures. I have not started that work until I was certain of the replacement part and the potential need to reconfigure . I'm think that I'm comfortable in replacing the luan over top and then the rubber membrane itself though I'll be learning as I go with that.

My biggest concern is that I put this all back together in a way that causes me more future problems with it. That is why simply putting it back the way it was may not be the best.

We have a two week vacation coming up soon and I'll be concentrating on the repair over the Labor Day holiday, assuming that I have resolution to the parts that I need. I don't need them physically here to do that.

Thanks again for all the support and suggestions that I've received.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 08-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Update:
I finally got through the the company that I was sent to for Georgie Boy parts. They are not, as I suspected, anything but a regular RV Parts dealer.

Another few calls and I was able to obtain a parts number for Coachman - who now claims they are no longer in the RV business. They could, however, look up the part and tell me that the supplier was Majestic Plastics. I had been on the phone with that company earlier today but they are a B2B only and wouldn't talk to me. The lady from Coachman isn't optimistic that they will talk with her either. She says that she has ordered other skylights recently and even has some in stock - mine isn't among them.

I've learned a lot about the RV plastics industry this morning, thanks to J Walker and a lead that he gave me. In following up that lead, I was able to find out who the major competitors are.

I need to get some sort of part on order tomorrow. I'm hoping that I will know, one way or the other if the Coachman path is going to work by then.

Normal parts acquisition, in this current economy, has become much more difficult. It appears that the RV industry parts situation makes everything else look great by comparsion.

Charlie
Old 08-17-2010, 04:01 AM   #23
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Charlie, give me the demensions of the outer perimeter of the sky lite; I might have one, based on the latest picture.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:30 AM   #24

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mike, the current skylight is "smoke" or "bronze", depending on the supplier's description. What this means is that the glass is transparent, not translucent and is dark in color versus the white opaque of most vent covers. Because we are in Texas, I'd like to keep that setup.

You can see the hole in the roof. The longest side is on the right of that picture and is 33" on the outside of the flange, corner to corner. The long adjacent side is 31". The short side to the left of the picture is 16", the "hypotenuse" side is 24" and the remaining short side (top of the picture) is 12" Again, those are all outside measurements.

For the inside measurement, the flange varies in width from 3 to 3 1/2"

If I can get a skylight close in size (but not so small that that it overlaps the inner opening, I can definitely work with it. As I said, I'm comfortable with replacing the wood structure and can double up if I need to in order to give myself a place to fasten the skylight.

You and I have a LinkedIN connection. You can reach me via e-mail with that. I work out of my house so I'm available to it all the time.

Thanks for anything that you can do.

Charlie

P.S. I still haven't heard back from Coachman. She may need today to get in touch with Majestic Plastics. I'm not very optimistic about a good result but I've been surprised before.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:03 PM   #25

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Progress today:
1. I removed all of the damaged support wood.
2. I determined a plan to put it back stronger than it was. The outside (along the passenger side wall) is 2" thick so I'm going to have double it to get the proper width. The end of the inside piece has some damage (it was stapled top and bottom to the damaged cross piece). I'm going to use a corner triangle to keep it solid.

Questions:
1. It looks like it was luan was 1/8" thick. It was top and bottom. I cannot put the bottom piece back without potentially damaging the top of the shower surround. The lower piece of plywood has some damage but I was going to try to apply adhesive anyway. It won't help much structurally but might prevent vibration during travel. Thoughts?

2. The foam shown in the 3rd photo has ribs and spaces. Are those important? In case I have to replace part of that foam, I'd like to understand what is important. I can cut it myself if I have to.

3. There was a metal flashing the ran form inner part of structure about 6 inches out. I'm assuming that this was to help spread the load and keep the inner frame from sagging. It was only about 6" wide. It doesn't look like either galvanized (which I'd never use in this application) or aluminum. Anybody familiar with this type of metal and can tell me what is really is? It was pretty tough to cut with tin snips.

I placed the order for the skylight itself and hope that it will be here by 9/3. My goal is to have the wood structure mounted, the luan in place and the rubber membrane installed by then.

Thanks,

Charlie
Old 08-22-2010, 04:58 AM   #26
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
Progress today:
1. I removed all of the damaged support wood.
2. I determined a plan to put it back stronger than it was. The outside (along the passenger side wall) is 2" thick so I'm going to have double it to get the proper width. The end of the inside piece has some damage (it was stapled top and bottom to the damaged cross piece). I'm going to use a corner triangle to keep it solid.

Questions:
1. It looks like it was luan was 1/8" thick. It was top and bottom. I cannot put the bottom piece back without potentially damaging the top of the shower surround. The lower piece of plywood has some damage but I was going to try to apply adhesive anyway. It won't help much structurally but might prevent vibration during travel. Thoughts?

2. The foam shown in the 3rd photo has ribs and spaces. Are those important? In case I have to replace part of that foam, I'd like to understand what is important. I can cut it myself if I have to.

3. There was a metal flashing the ran form inner part of structure about 6 inches out. I'm assuming that this was to help spread the load and keep the inner frame from sagging. It was only about 6" wide. It doesn't look like either galvanized (which I'd never use in this application) or aluminum. Anybody familiar with this type of metal and can tell me what is really is? It was pretty tough to cut with tin snips.

I placed the order for the skylight itself and hope that it will be here by 9/3. My goal is to have the wood structure mounted, the luan in place and the rubber membrane installed by then.

Thanks,

Charlie

The luan is 1/8". if you can inject something like gorilla glue into the area and have a piece of temporary backer, (gorilla glue expands) using clamps or stiff leg you can apply pressure to keep ceiling flat while the glue sets up.
You can replace the foam with a solid block if you need to. The ribs and spaces are a means of providing ductwork where needed (not here), cut down on amount of material and more easily to contour arches.
The metal was probably a cast aluminum and used as you suspect; to support the load and strengthen through cantilever concept.
Good luck and it looks good so far. Keep us posted.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:46 PM   #27

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Update: I'm still hard at work on this project but have been delayed by some emergencies.

This weekend, I finished cutting and shaping the wood structure under the skylight. I decided to laminate them to get to the thicknesses that I need and will add dowels to the lamination for addition durability. I was able to order the 1/8" luan through Home Depot and will pick that up tomorrow. I hope to have all of the wood work complete by next weekend. Then, I'll put the new membrane down and wait on the delivery of the new skylight. Hopefully, that will be pretty easy to install, since it is the exact same size as the old one. I'm hoping that it, too, might be here by the Labor Day weekend.

As soon as the laminated structure is installed, I'll add more pictures.

I had forgotten how much fun it is to work with wood this way. The members need to be cut to length but then have to be curved to match the contour of the roof and so that the luan will fit flat. Measurements are pretty critical. I altered the angled crossmember (for the diagonal side of the 5 sided skylight, to allow me to add a piece of luan on the bottom. It won't add much weight and should give me better support in that area. I'm making a custom brace to allow me to push up with just a little pressure from the bottom, so that the glue will knit everything back together ( I hope.)

Stay tuned... more to come.

Charlie
Old 09-04-2010, 08:11 AM   #28

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Update:

The new skylight arrived on Thursday and it is about twice as heavy as the old one. It is clearly stronger and better made. I've been delayed in getting the structural wood in place but will do that today. I should have pictures by the end of the day.

Getting the luan wasn't easy. It turns out that Home Depot buys a lot of wood from a Cedar supply company and they both did me a big favor by allowing me to order and pickup myself just one sheet of luan. In a 4'x8' sheet, it is pretty flimsy and difficult to handle without damaging it.

I'm looking forward to finishing this project, hopefully this week.

Charlie