Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2010, 09:31 AM   #29

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Update:

As I've previously posted, I've been working to build the structural wood to connect the skylight.

Here are all of the structural pieces finally fastened in place. The next step is to put the metal flashing back on the two open sides and then put the luan over everything. The rubber membrane and the Eternabond will follow.

One of the reasons that it has taken me so long is because I've been meticulous about keeping a constant slope to the roof. IMHO, one of the reasons for the original trouble, now that I've seen the damaged wood below, is that the installer of the original skylight didn't have the same constant level surface to screw into and attempted to use screws to bend the skylight material to meet the uneven surface, breaking parts along the RV wall and the covering that up with caulk.

This is a picture of the new skylight sitting in place over the structural wood before it was fastened. I wanted to make sure where the flange was going to be centered over the wood. I'm going to mark the skylight flange, separate it and drill the holes (the ones in the center of the vehicle will be hard to do over top of the dome if I don't) and the mark and drill the pilot holes for the new screws.

I'm hoping to have the project completed by the end of this coming weekend. I'll post more pictures when I have the flashing and luan in place. As you can see, I've already cut some of the luan to replace the damaged part on the ceiling.

The part of this whole project that has had me paranoid is the effect of the wind. We have driven into 40mph headwinds doing 60 mph. That gives us effectively a 100mph apparent wind over the top of the vehicle. I do realize that most of the pressure on the dome would be sheer load and that, because of the vent for the refrigerator almost directly in front of it, some of that wind pressure will be deflected away. Never the less, the last thing that I need is for the dome to fly off enroute because it wasn't tied down well enough. Yesterday, when I finished screwing the frame together, I grabbed it and was able to shake the whole RV on its springs. Since then, the glue has dried so it will be even stronger. I still have to add some self drilling screws to the sidewall structure to tie it into the wall. When that is done and I have the luan in place, I'll feel better about the whole thing.

Ideas and observations are still welcomed.

Charlie

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2010, 11:01 PM   #30

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So here is the final picture.

I still have to mount the inner ring tomorrow but all of the outside work is done. I am confident that it is both stronger than it was originally and less likely to leak but we all know how creative water can be. I'll keep an eye on everything, especially for the first trip.

I cannot wait to use the show for the first time. The new dome is so much clearer than the 10 year old one.

Charlie

Old 09-14-2010, 03:53 AM   #31
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Looks good Charlie, congratulations on a fine job.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:12 PM   #32

Freightliner Owners Club
Excellent work Charles:
We just returned from 2 weeks in Grand Rapids, glad to see your progress...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:40 AM   #33

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Update: we have been caught in the heavy rains that are now sweeping through Ashe County, NC. There is no sign of a leak anyplace. I'm thrilled.

We were supposed to depart Ashe County for Kings Mountain today but I won't risk driving the 10% grade on Route 421 south of us in this kind of rain so we'll have a continuing leak test through Tuesday AM. We are supposed to have 5-6 inches total by then. I sure am glad that I finished the repairs before we took this trip. It could have been ugly.

Charlie
Old 09-28-2010, 03:54 AM   #34
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Congratulations Charlie! Glad to hear that you do not have a leak anymore!

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote