Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2005, 12:34 PM   #15

I bought my Winn Adventurer 2004 in October of 2003. Today I washed and checked to roof line. Everything looks OK. I have a roll of Eternabond and will be installing it in a few days when I can get some help. My question is cleaning before applying the tape. Some use windex and others use a non- chlorinated formula brake cleaner, which I believe Eternabonds recommends. I bought this cleaner at Wal-Mart called Prestone heavy duty brake parts cleaner. Is this ok to use????? It's fast drying and I tried a little on a rag and clearned some metal and it works fine. All I have left to do is cut the 4" in half.

Winnebago Adverturer 2004 35U Cypress Green Metallic
Dick N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2005, 03:14 AM   #16

Dick, I'd probably use the windex because it's gentler. I'd save the Brake Parts Cleaner for another day. Your coach is new and you don't have any patches or repairs along the roof edges yet, so all I'd recommend is a good roof wash (soap-n-water), dry off, then a final edge wipe with Windex. Then it's time to tape.

Old 07-01-2005, 05:25 AM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dick N.:
My question is cleaning before applying the tape. Some use windex and others use a non- chlorinated formula brake cleaner, which I believe Eternabonds recommends. I bought this cleaner at Wal-Mart called Prestone heavy duty brake parts cleaner. Is this ok to use????? It's fast drying and I tried a little on a rag and clearned some metal and it works fine. All I have left to do is cut the 4" in half. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
First, determine what kind of sealant Winnebago has used on your particular roof. Spray a *little* bit of brake cleaner on the sealant. If it dissolves the sealant, then they've probably used some sort of crappy stuff like Dicor 501 Lap Sealand; and it's just a matter of time before it *all* has to be cleaned out and replaced with a more appropriate sealant.

If the sealant doesn't dissolve, then they've probably used a polyurethane sealant which should last for years; and their would be no useful purpose served by replacing it.

If your sealant is soluable, then the old stuff should be cleaned out in it's entirety, because the foundation for the new sealant won't provide any better adhesion than provided by the old sealant.

I would certainly NOT recommend using brake cleaner on the roof joint, or any other structure that is constructed with styrofoam. Spray a piece of styrofoam with brake cleaner, and the reason will be immediately apparent; not to mention what it will do to the adhesives used to bond the fiberglass to the underlay. Any solvent which includes a BTX (Benzine, Toluene or Xylene) should be avoided, notwithstanding that evaporate before it has had a chance to do it's job.

Paint thinner (not lacquer) will still do quite an effective job, and because it is less volatile, it will remain on the surface for a longer period without evaporating. When I did my roof, after cutting away the old sealant, I cleaned the channel with a washcloth soaked with paint thinner, wrapped around a paint stir stick.

For sealant, I used a household grade of polyurethane sealant; although 3M marine grade polyurethane sealants are substantially superior. The household grade stuff seems to okay though. I did my roof back in 2002, and it isn't showing any signs of failure.

The thing I like about polyurethane, is that it has tremendous adhesive characteristics, as well elasticity.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:06 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Dick,
You shouldn't need to to remove any caulking on the sides. The 2" tape will go over it very nicely. I just cleaned the sides with car wash, but the windex would work fine also.
Remember to prep the tape before you cut it into 2" strips. The following link will help with that. Just put the 4" roll of tape in the freezer for overnight before you cut it so it cuts much easier. See here
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 07:15 AM   #19

Thanks for the reply. When I cleaned my roof I took a soft brush and done where the tape will go and it's all very clean. I have done it before and it is very clean. Guess I'll do the windex and then apply the tape. I have my jig already made, thanks to this form. Just waiting for my son with a little help.

Winnebago Adverturer 2004 35U Cypress Green Metallic
Dick N. is offline   Reply With Quote