Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2005, 11:49 AM   #1

I guess we are another owner of a 2000 Adventure that has been covered from day one, and while in Kansas the driver side of the roof lifted from front to rear. Four Season RV in Abilene KS.. told us he has repaired 6 or 7 Adventure always on the drivers side. The Service Manager told us Winn. makes a repair kit for the problem. When I spoke with a Winn. rep. he told me there was not a problem. I asked why thay make a repair kit if there is not a problem. He went on about the sealent and owners responsibity. Is there any why of determining how many roof repair kit the manufacture has sent out or how many roof conplaints Winn. has received. If one dealer in KS. has replaced 6 or 7 this must be a real problem. The dealer in KS. did a great job and told me it is better than it left the factory.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2005, 11:49 AM   #2

I guess we are another owner of a 2000 Adventure that has been covered from day one, and while in Kansas the driver side of the roof lifted from front to rear. Four Season RV in Abilene KS.. told us he has repaired 6 or 7 Adventure always on the drivers side. The Service Manager told us Winn. makes a repair kit for the problem. When I spoke with a Winn. rep. he told me there was not a problem. I asked why thay make a repair kit if there is not a problem. He went on about the sealent and owners responsibity. Is there any why of determining how many roof repair kit the manufacture has sent out or how many roof conplaints Winn. has received. If one dealer in KS. has replaced 6 or 7 this must be a real problem. The dealer in KS. did a great job and told me it is better than it left the factory.

Old 06-11-2005, 05:22 PM   #3

I had a good service experience at Adventure RV in Wichita too! And mine was not a Winnebago or for that matter any make that they sell.

On the number of Winnebagos with that roof problem, it is interesting as we are fulltime and I have seen two motorhomes with that problem and both were Winnebagos. The first was about two years ago in a campground in Mo. and the owner was duct taping it down to make it hold to get to a dealer. The other was last summer in Idaho, we had one pass us while traveling on I-15, near Idaho Falls. He was traveling well over 60mph and I don't think that he was aware of the problem yet. The roof was loose from the rear, about half way up to the front, and it was flapping so that I would bet it continued to work it's way toward the front.

To get numbers I suspect it would take a lawyer.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:09 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
22 Rim Fire,

I have been reading alot about this in this forum as well as some others. Despite what Winnebago tells you, it is a problem, they just refuse to acknowledge it. This appears to be their stance on many issues that would cost them serious money. Unfortunately I have learned this first hand as a Winnebago owner. I'm praying that with proper maintenance, my roof lasts me another couple of years until I can afford a new coach. As you can guess, it won't be a Winnebago Industries product. Just my 2 cents...

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 02:38 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
If you read the manual you will find that Winnebago recommends the inspection of the caulking of the roof periodicaly. Have you ever inspected the caulking or had it done?

I have heard that there was a period when the rails the roof locks into were not the correct size. The fix was a replacement rail. That may be the "repair kit" the dealer is reffering to.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:56 AM   #6

Winnebago does have a roof problem, but only if the owner does not do proper maintance. The cure for the problem is a product called Eternabond http://www.eternabond.com/ . Instead of appling caulk, apply Eternabond, it's a one time fix.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 05:14 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with Bill's recommendation of the EternaBond tape. It's great stuff. I applied it to the seams of my roof three years ago when I found the caulking had gone south. What scares me though is the thought that this (or just caulking in some folks situation) is the only thing keeping my roof from becoming a giant frisbee.

Old 06-17-2005, 06:46 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
There has been lots and lots of discussions on this problem and has been mentioned here, regardless of what Winnebago says, it is a problem. Do a search on the topic. But you will get some of the info here
I personally think this is the only solution that makes any sense. Pay the cost for the tape and do the labor and then you are done with it. Otherwise, you are constantly checking the cauking and messing with that.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 08:12 AM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig P.:
Unfortunately I have learned this first hand as a Winnebago owner. I'm praying that with proper maintenance, my roof lasts me another couple of years until I can afford a new coach. As you can guess, it won't be a Winnebago Industries product. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Having toured the Winnebago Industries plant and looked in the eyes and shook the hands of the people that build our motorhomes let me tell you this, you are not going to find a better group of folks that build motorhomes.

Winnebago Industries does the most to control all the building processes and materials that are used on their motorhomes and they manufacture practically everything that you see in the motorhome except glass.

Nobody makes a steel driver's compartment for example. The seats are bolted in steel and the A and B pillars are steel as well as the entire super structure forward of the B pillar. The entire cab section is cut from a computer driven plasma torch that assures identically made pieces time and again. Gigs square and hold the pieces to tight tolerances. Workers hand weld most of the structure. The cab structure is then hoisted, dipped and electrically treated in several different tanks of primer and paint.

Computerized engineering and just in time manufacturing control costs and assure quality fit and finishes. Every aluminum piece in the motorhome was made from huge aluminum billets and dies that are loaded, heated and drawn from hi pressure presses that extrude the pieces on 100 or more foot long racks. The dies that Winnebago use are precision machined and meticulously maintained by tool and die folks. If there is any intolerances the dies are discarded.

The aluminum pieces are electrically powder coated in huge open air chambers and they are baked until a smooth finish is obtained.

What is really cool about WI extrusions is that if you ever need a piece for a 10 year old motorhome, it'll be right there on the shelf and it can be re-manufactured.

I saw first hand how the fiberglass roofs are joined to the rail and it's done by hand by a worker using a tool specific for the job. The tolerances are close but that's what CAD computers do, they design components that are cost effective, precision fitting and that work for the long term. One thing you won't see very much on the line is waste materials. Just about everything that comes down the line is used.

My roof was inspected and there were no problems. My motorhome is going on 3 years old and has always been outside.

I would not hesitate at any time in the future to purchase another Winnebago Industries product.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 08:49 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig P.:
Unfortunately I have learned this first hand as a Winnebago owner. I'm praying that with proper maintenance, my roof lasts me another couple of years until I can afford a new coach. As you can guess, it won't be a Winnebago Industries product. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My roof was inspected and there were no problems. My motorhome is going on 3 years old and has always been outside.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have heard from several other people who have had their roofs inspected also or who have done it themselves. In several of those cases, it was determined that the inspection was not done properly. Just "looking" at the seam wont indicate if there is a problem. You must press in with your finger or thumb the entire length of the coach to see if the roof moves in and seperates from the cauking or the side rail.
There have been too many cases of people complaining about this problem for it not to be considered a problem. I had my coach in for service last year and the body guy asked me who put that eternal bond on? I told him I did, why? He said, "Oh, I thought maybe Winnebago finally fixed their problem"
Otherwise, I agree that Winnebago makes a good coach. But I do believe other mfgs. do a good job also.
I do have a problem with a company that ignores what I feel is an obvious problem. They must have gotten a zillion complaints on this subject.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 02:21 PM   #11

Mike, you hit the nail on the head. Since buying our Winnebago used and the previous owner having paper work to show the inspections his dealer had done. Then later getting it home and finding the caulk split from nearly one end to the other. Yes to look at it, it looked fine, but push on the roof and it was open. I'm not to sure the dealers know how to determine if the caulk needs attention or not. Makes me wonder if even factory service knows. Anyway it is a real problem and I'm a believer that Eternabond is the answer to it.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 04:19 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I saw first hand how the fiberglass roofs are joined to the rail and it's done by hand by a worker using a tool specific for the job. The tolerances are close but that's what CAD computers do, they design components that are cost effective, precision fitting and that work for the long term. One thing you won't see very much on the line is waste materials. Just about everything that comes down the line is used. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Driver, I don't know what all this has to do with a poor roof mounting system. At a recent rally I got looking at some new Winnies on display & I noticed that they now have a bead of sealant on the outside of the J-channel that they didn't have before. It looks like somebody is starting to get wise, but not wise enough to change the system entirely.

Qoute "My roof was inspected and there were no problems. My motorhome is going on 3 years old and has always been outside."

brother I sure hope your luck holds out. In the meantime I'm using eternabond.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 07:43 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Driver and Winnebago Loyals:

I've said many times before that Winnebago makes a very good product. I compared my unit side by side with a Pace Arrow before I bought it, and went with the Adventurer hands down. Unfortunately Winnebago's customer service, at least in my case has been terrible. I'm sure the people building them are honest hard working people. I'm not slamming them at all, just the customer service exec's who make dumb decisions. I've talked with many other owners that feel the same way.

I realize that they can't keep everybody happy all the time, but they thumbed their nose at me when I asked them to address some important issues. Because of that, I won't buy their product again. It sounds like they are keeping you satisfied, which is all that matters. I truly wish I had enjoyed the same experience.

Regardless of the RV brand, one good day of camping is better ten good days of working!

Craig

Old 06-29-2005, 03:40 PM   #14

Thanks for everybody who has replied. The manuel naver tells you to press hard on the roof where it met the side they tell you to inspect the roof which I did every time I washed the coach. The repair kit Is a roll of fiber glass or what ever they use on the roof and a hard fiberglass molding they screw into the roof where they cut the old roof off. I do not think the gentleman who shook hands and talked to the people at Winn.He must not have been in customer relations. They only know how to say its your problem not ours.