Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2011, 09:19 AM   #15

RV Hauler:

Thanks for that info. I hadn't realized the adjustable pedals had been used on the F-series.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #16
gg

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I recommend the adjustable pedals, either puchased as shown above, home made, or found at the handicapped supply store, Dealer.

The auto industry/SAE/ and the US DOT did a lot of research on this issue of control placement. The typcial placement will work for 95% of the population. ( A US federal Law of coarse)

To reach the last 5% it found adjustabe pedals and steering column would provide the adjustment need to reach the controls.

This became a safty issue when air bags were mandated. A small person moving the seat forward to reach the pedals are at more risk of contacting a (hard airbag).

In a car/ light trucks (pickups) Most dealers can or will point you to a service that will add the pedal extenders if needed.

I am not aware on any class A Mh with air bags so your not at risk during a crash, BBut don't put the public at risk if (YOU) are not in complete control and confortable behind a 13 ton truck heading for a School BUS!
Old 01-27-2011, 08:09 PM   #17

I'm well aware of the risk of air-bags for a short driver. I wish the nomenclature was "safety cushions" like it is in Francophile Canada. There's no "air" involved. The bags are inflated by the products of combustion released by burning a pellet of rocket fuel. The fans of J.A. Jance mysteries will remember a poisoning case where the victim was done in by someone dissolving the fuel for air bags into a drink.

The wife of a friend is about 5' 3". They had a Chevrolet minivan. Some sort of malfunction caused the airbags to go off - not an accident. Because she was close to the steering wheel, the deploying airbag pushed her glasses up her forehead and back to about her ears, peeling back the scalp from her eyebrows to where the bag stopped. She was hospitalized for a long time and has never fully recovered.

They tried to sue GM, but they couldn't find a lawyer willing to take it on.

Our 03 Kia Sedona is the first vehicle we've owned (bought it new) in which my wife is comfortable with the distance she sits from the steering wheel. The RV is another story altogether. Before we head out for the new season, I'm going to do some serious studies of the ergonomics. My fear is that there will be no way to make it fit, so if any problem develops so that I can't drive, we will require a professional driver to get us home.

We hadn't planned on this particular conundrum. We were so pleased to find a rig we both liked and that we could afford, the details kinda slipped by! Apart from this one issue, we're quite happy with it.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:01 AM   #18

At 5'1" my solution was to build a riser which is placed under my feet. Used a 2 x 8 board cut about 12 inches long, and stapled an inexpensive berber mat that I picked up at Wal-Mart all the way around it. The mat keeps it from sliding around, and it is just high enough for me rest my foot on to comfortably reach the accelerator.
Paula
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #19

Where did you place it in relationship to the pedals? Do you have any photos?
Thanks, Paula!
Susanne
mcgintyrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:31 AM   #20

It sits parallel to the front of the accelerator and brake pedal. I will take a picture this morning and post it for you.
Paula
Old 01-30-2011, 07:43 AM   #21
doc

Appalachian Campers
We had an over-the-road driver for a local manufacturer who had a dedicated truck. He had the mechanic bolt two wooden blocks on the accelerator and brake. They were about 3 inches thick and essentially added three inches to his legs. Ran that way for years and never had a problem. His only problem was getting into the cab of the cab-over Mack.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:56 AM   #22

Thor Owners Club
My 5' 2" DW has no problem reaching the peddles on our SeaBreeze, we have the opposite problem. With the slide in, it doesn't allow for the drivers seat to go back far enough for me! I feel really cramped during a long drive. She does however have a problem reaching the floor in the right hand seat so we have a carpet covered box for her feet.
David
floridaflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:19 AM   #23

Susanne,
Here are pictures of my risers.
Paula
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RVriser 001.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	7983   Click image for larger version

Name:	RVriser 003.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	7984  

Old 01-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #24

Thanks for the photos, Paula. Sounds like you haven't had a problem with it sliding underneath the pedals. Guess I'll get started on my little project!
mcgintyrch is offline   Reply With Quote