Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #1

Advice on RV Type

My wife, Linda, and I have not yet purchased an RV. Our plan is to leave central Illinois after the first week in January each year, travel to places like Texas, Arizona and California (as long as it’s at least 45 degrees, and not too hot, we’re happy), returning to Illinois in middle-to-late March.

First, let me say that we have been researching this topic for quite a while from and understand the differences between small trailers, large trailers, 5th wheels, and Class A, B and C motorhomes. We have read a lot about the pros and cons of each and frankly, they all seem good; but everything I have read indicates that, in the end, the choice of RV comes down to personal preferences. So, here are our requirements:
- Live and cook in it for 10-12 weeks at a time
- Take the cat with us
- Be able to go back to the living area while in motion to use the bathroom or take a nap
- Should be small enough to drive into town to shop or on side trips
- Not too difficult to park
- Want to bring my Honda Gold Wing Trike along
- Would rather not pull a trailer or vehicle, but would consider it if it makes sense
- Budget $35-60,000

While Linda doesn’t care much for riding on the highway with me on the Trike, she does enjoy scenic rides. In past years, she would pull an enclosed cargo trailer behind our pick-up truck and I would ride the Trike. When she got tired of driving, or in inclement weather, I would pull the Trike into the trailer and drive the truck. That worked out pretty well, but Linda didn’t care much for pulling the trailer, even when empty.

Although we are fine living in close quarters (we are perfectly happy in a full-size bed), we have very different lifestyles. Linda is very happy just sitting around or riding her bicycle. During the spring, she likes to work in the garden and she always does the yard work on her own. She hates to fly and would prefer driving. I, on the other hand, have traveled for a living the past 25 years, flying around the country, and love it. I am always doing something: riding the Trike, target shooting with revolvers and rifles, socializing, etc. If I’m out gallivanting about on the Trike, it would be convenient if Linda had a way to go to the store, visit goodwill, go to garage sales or take a side trip.

I had considered a used Class C Toy Hauler, but 1) they tend to be pricey, 2) the availability isn’t all that great, and 3) I’m thinking it might make more sense to pull the Trike behind on a trailer, because Linda would probably be more comfortable driving a smaller RV while I’m somewhere else on the Trike.

We would appreciate any advice as to the type of vehicle that might be best-suited to our needs, based on your personal experiences.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Lots of good facts provided for seeking advice.

I am sure folks will be right along to make suggestions.

The one concept I agree with is "Buy your last RV first."
Might not actually be the last, but think about what you really want and don't compromise too much or you will be trading in a short time (a waste of money).

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:11 PM   #3

Advice on RV Type

It's a conundrum! As I see it you have 2 primary requirements. Taking the trike and a vehicle Linda can deal with as a driver when you are off on the trike.

I can tell you that, long term, Linda will not be happy trying to drive a vehicle to the store that's robust enough to carry the trike. There is also the issue of the inconvenience of hooking up and unhooking the RV anytime she needs to go somewhere. The used toy hauler with a car/truck of some kind towed 4 wheels down will get you where you want to be. I don't know trikes but I assume it won't fit the the bed of a full sized P/U.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:21 PM   #4

Right, Steve--the Trike is 54" wide. If we were camped and I wanted to go somewhere with the Trike, I'd disconnect the trailer first, so she wouldn't have to worry about it when she was ready to go.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:21 PM   #5

Sounds to me like you need a good size trailer to put your trike and a small car in to make both of you happy.your not going to want to disconnect the RV every time one of you want to go somewhere if one of you is off on the trike. Good Luck!
Old 06-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #6

Shorter A or C class with a cargo trailer, trike and smart car or miata.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:23 PM   #7

We have a Class A that's under 30' (and it's for sale) and it's fairly easy to maneuver BUT there is NO WAY that I'd want to pack all the stuff up, disconnect water, sewer & electric, drive to a mall or grocery or go sight seeing in it. Then... have to park, drag all the stuff out that I had to pack up before and hook all the utilities back up. We tow a Jeep and use it to run around in.

Good luck with your search!
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:00 PM   #8

We have owned every type RV. 3 or four pull behind trailers; three large fifth wheels; three motor homes. We came back to motor home & pulling toad. I am not worn out from pulling trailers when I get where I'm going. Can be totally set up in 10 to 15 minutes. If raining, turn on generator, and go to sleep until morning.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:00 AM   #9

Followup to your advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationer49 View Post
Shorter A or C class with a cargo trailer, trike and smart car or miata.
Can you clarify your statement? I could pull something behind the shorter A or C, but only one thing, right? Either a car or the Trike, but not both.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikesAndGuns View Post
Can you clarify your statement? I could pull something behind the shorter A or C, but only one thing, right? Either a car or the Trike, but not both.

I think he's referring to pulling a stacker type trailer with room for both the trike & a small car.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:54 AM   #11

I think a 20' or shorter enclosed trailer would haul both a small car and your trike. So you both would have a ride without unhooking.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:15 AM   #12

Seems to me a toy hauler would best meet your needs.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:39 PM   #13

Look at these:

2015 Outlaw Toy Hauler Motorhomes: Gas & Diesel, Class A & C RVs

Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice