Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #1

AE Oasis Elite Motor / Stripped Worm Gear

Hello,

The model is a 975 Series.

The Door Awning failed to retract after partially retracting. Motor still turned with a clunk-clunk-clunk. After several attempts to get in to retract, I took the motor end cap off and removed the motor gear cover, exposing the worm gears. While the wife hit the switch, I watched the gears. There is a worn spot in the plastic gear and stops at the same place each time. It will extend just fine as the springs release while extending and are forced into tension when retracting.

I removed the awning and benched tested it and found that if I pushed against the extension springs so that there was no tension on the cloth the awning retracted passed the dead spot.

So a cheap plastic gear part failed and to fix it, it looks like I have to buy the motor assembly for $582.00, even though the motor is fine. The clutch part seems to work fine as I saw that was someone else's issue doing the same thing. I may try a RV salvage yard. I have several emails out there looking just for the gears as the motor is made by fiamma who seems to make their own brand of awnings and was the motor supplier to AE when mine was made in 2004.

Any one else have ideas? They are easy to take appart by-the-way.

Thanks!

LPD218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2013, 10:24 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fiamma made the guts on my 07, and the local Rv Shop was able to find a gear and replace it. The gear was not cheap, around $125, but they replaced just the worm gear and it has worked fine since, or until the gear fails again. The owner said he ordered the gear directly from A&E.

UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #3

Usual Supect,

Love the moniker!

I haven't heard back from fiamma yet, but $125 is lots better than $582. One place will sell me the motor for $450.00 which is a little better.

I will also hit the RV salvage yards too. Luckily, it is a nonessential system, just can't believe the cost.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
KIX

LPD218, I also have a non-functional Oasis Elite. Motor's good and the gears are good too. Mine is a manual OR electric model and has a connecting shaft that connects the motor shaft to the roller shaft. The connector shaft is wallowed out and just slips on the motor shaft. I tried lots of salvage yards without success. Hope you have better luck. Should you find a source for parts I would appreciate that information. Thanks
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
See this thread

Stripping gears would be a long shot. Usually it's the left hand roller cap. Not hard to replace and lots cheaper than a new awning or custom made parts.

Oasis Door Awning will not retract
Old 09-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #6

When I had it apart, I checked the LH end cap. It spins freely without resistance for extending and it is locked for the other direction which leads me to think it is ok. It does rattle when shaken, but I was thinking this was the locking pins moving inside the cap.

Anyone know if this LH end cap is working as described?

We are in Custer, SD right now and the awning is at home in MO.

Thanks for the insights!
Old 09-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #7
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPD218 View Post
When I had it apart, I checked the LH end cap. It spins freely without resistance for extending and it is locked for the other direction which leads me to think it is ok. It does rattle when shaken, but I was thinking this was the locking pins moving inside the cap.

Anyone know if this LH end cap is working as described?

We are in Custer, SD right now and the awning is at home in MO.

Thanks for the insights!
If you need a new LH end cap, I have one. Get in touch if needed.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think

What you describe, rotating freely, seems to indicate that the D shape of the drive socket on the left hand cap is worn into an O. This happens when the motor & gearbox 'wobble' because the 3 mounting screws get loose.

I think when mine did that it cost me a little over $100 to fix. yours may be less if you can do it without removing it from the coach. The plastic pins that hold the cover together were the biggest surprise, cost wise.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #9

How much were the pins and where did you get them? Mine are deteriorating from uv. So far it's working great but it's beginning to show its age! Thanks for any info you can provide. Jonnyboy316
Old 09-24-2013, 11:47 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pins

I ordered them directly from A&E. I don't remember exactly what they were but it was way more than I expected, plus shipping.

Small plastic screws from Ace Hardware would probably work just fine. Brass, aluminum or stainless might work too.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:30 AM   #11
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
What you describe, rotating freely, seems to indicate that the D shape of the drive socket on the left hand cap is worn into an O. This happens when the motor & gearbox 'wobble' because the 3 mounting screws get loose.

I think when mine did that it cost me a little over $100 to fix. yours may be less if you can do it without removing it from the coach. The plastic pins that hold the cover together were the biggest surprise, cost wise.
As you describe, that's the problem I'm having. To get the shaft connector from A & E one must buy the entire motor and gear assembly. Any idea where to buy just the motor shaft connector piece?
Old 09-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Customer Service

Get the part number of just the cap, in my case it was a 3310300.000 (a revision from the original PN and try to order just the part.

They were extremely helpful to me. I'd try again and maybe you'll get a different person.

If that doesn't work try ordering it through a shop. It will still be cheaper than a new motor & gear set.

Try here too: RV Awning Repair Parts from A&E and Carefree - PPL Motor Homes

I drilled into it and found the part for my awning, a 973. InvalidBrowser
They have parts for all of them. I've ordered plenty of stuff from PPL and never had a problem.

I googled A&E door awning parts and got thousands of links. You won't have much problem finding parts I think.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #13
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
Get the part number of just the cap, in my case it was a 3310300.000 (a revision from the original PN and try to order just the part.

They were extremely helpful to me. I'd try again and maybe you'll get a different person.

If that doesn't work try ordering it through a shop. It will still be cheaper than a new motor & gear set.

Try here too: RV Awning Repair Parts from A&E and Carefree - PPL Motor Homes

I drilled into it and found the part for my awning, a 973. InvalidBrowser
They have parts for all of them. I've ordered plenty of stuff from PPL and never had a problem.

I googled A&E door awning parts and got thousands of links. You won't have much problem finding parts I think.
Actually, there is a problem in finding just the MOTOR SHAFT CONNECTOR that I need. The part is now a part of an assembly that includes the motor. A & E, while courteous, does not even have a part number for a part of the assembly. Two different A & E CSRs have told me the same thing.
Having said all that......if anyone knows of an A & E electric/manual awning with a good motor shaft connector I will buy it.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #14

Picture of Worn Gear

I tore into the worm gear motor and found the nylon or plastic gear was well worn on one side.

Here is a picture showing the worn area.

Anyone have a broken motor asymbly they replaced and willing to sell it?

I am NOT paying $500.00 for a new motor just to get the gear I need.

Thanks All!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gear.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	46926