Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2011, 12:12 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just took my first trip after installing my 5050XL. My trip took me over the Grapevine in California and up into the hills around Mariposa. The fuel milage went from a normal 7mpg to 8mpg towing a Honda CR-V and doing alot of uphill pulling. Besides being alot louder, it seems I have made some performance gains.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2011, 05:52 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like your coach runs a lot better! Is it loud inside when traveling or pulling hills over the stock muffler? If you were still thinking of installing one like i am would you do it again. I don't want it to be to loud. When i was young i liked loud, my harleys are loud but sound good like they are suppose to,but i don't want my coach to be over bearing loud. And i don't want any muffler noise inside more than i got now. When i say loud i guess i mean " rumble". Did you pickup more of a rumble inside? Thank you for you posts
Old 01-19-2011, 01:36 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
we have 2 aero turbine mufflers on our gas moho.
they are definitely louder than stock, especially when climbing and descending hills.
with the windows closed, the sound is not objectionable. when you want to hear them, just open a window a little.
going through tunnels is interesting.
in cruise at 1900-2000 rpm they are not much louder than stock inside the moho, even with a window open.
it feels like there is more low end power. it climbs hills and mountains in cruise control towing our toad very well.
our gas mileage is still abysmal, 6.82 mpg on a recent 3.5k mile trip towing our nissan altima on a stehl dolly.
my dw is very sensitive to low frequency noise such as the flowmaster system on her brothers el camino. that racket drives her nuts.
i installed the aero's myself with my dw's help with clamps so that we could reinstall the stock mufflers if necessary.
my dw says that the aero's are keepers.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:07 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Sounds like your coach runs a lot better! Is it loud inside when traveling or pulling hills over the stock muffler? If you were still thinking of installing one like i am would you do it again. I don't want it to be to loud. When i was young i liked loud, my harleys are loud but sound good like they are suppose to,but i don't want my coach to be over bearing loud. And i don't want any muffler noise inside more than i got now. When i say loud i guess i mean " rumble". Did you pickup more of a rumble inside? Thank you for you posts
My MH is a 34ft so I'm a bit closer to the tail pipe than yours. I have gotten a bit more noise up front but it is not annoying. What I didn't want was a constant droneing sound at highwas speeds and that seems to be OK. To me the sound reminds me a little like the old 6 cylinder Chevys with dual pipes. The important thing is it doesen't seem to bother my wife and thats important because we go on long trips. I got my 5050XL for $120 wholesale at a Muffler supply wharehouse and aout $90 for all the bends and adapters. I think they can be had on Ebay or Amazon for a decent price.
It is fun to roll by a Prius and vibrate their windows, I'm sorry about that. The Devil made me say that. That was awful.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #33

Ironman- Suggest you log onto www.dieselstop.com Which is primarly a Ford power stroke diesel forum)(with lots of increasing horse power) and read what the thoughts are on the K & N air filters. Seens these filters do not filter out finer particules and in time will wipe out the turbo. Big $$$.
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:14 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhauler View Post
Ironman- Suggest you log onto www.dieselstop.com Which is primarly a Ford power stroke diesel forum)(with lots of increasing horse power) and read what the thoughts are on the K & N air filters. Seens these filters do not filter out finer particules and in time will wipe out the turbo. Big $$$.

I have read the post on the internet about K&N and other type of air filters letting more dirt into the engine than conventional paper filters. I have been running an K&N on a 2003 PT Cruiser turbo since new with no issues. While it is less restrictive it is an wet fiter while the OEM is a dry filter. Read this test it is one that i know is independant
Filtration Testing for Amsoil, K&N, Napa, Jackson Racing, Baldwin, and Mazda air filters on a Miata
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just filled up after a 500 mile trip after installing the Aero Turbine 5050XL and averaged 10mpg. I was getting 7mpg before the install. My average speed was 65mph. I shook all the windows and set of car alarms from Burbank to Manteca and back.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:19 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
My MH is a 34ft so I'm a bit closer to the tail pipe than yours. I have gotten a bit more noise up front but it is not annoying. What I didn't want was a constant droneing sound at highwas speeds and that seems to be OK. To me the sound reminds me a little like the old 6 cylinder Chevys with dual pipes. The important thing is it doesen't seem to bother my wife and thats important because we go on long trips. I got my 5050XL for $120 wholesale at a Muffler supply wharehouse and aout $90 for all the bends and adapters. I think they can be had on Ebay or Amazon for a decent price.
It is fun to roll by a Prius and vibrate their windows, I'm sorry about that. The Devil made me say that. That was awful.
I'm considering installing one on my 36' Meridian and was wondering why it takes bends (how many) and adapters (what kind) when it sounds like it fits pretty much in the same place as the original. Where did you get your bends? Any additional suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:55 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I'm considering installing one on my 36' Meridian and was wondering why it takes bends (how many) and adapters (what kind) when it sounds like it fits pretty much in the same place as the original. Where did you get your bends? Any additional suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Wagonmaster2
I got all my parts and pieces at a wholesale exhaust supply house. A new 4 inch 90 bend is needed to route the exhaust to the rear to the new muffler. The original comes out of the turbo and 90 down to the 4 inch muffler inlet. I used a 4 inch band clamp to attach the additonal 90 that routs the exhaust back to the muffler. You then need a 4 to 5 inch adapter to go into the muffler. I used band clamps on all the joints. The whole set up ran $200. The other thing you have to make are the muffler hangers. I used the original brackets and made new bands. The original 5 inch tail pipe can be reused but will have to be shortened.
I hope this helps.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:54 AM   #38

Read this thread thru as some applications are different... http://www.irv2.com/forums/f124/new-muffler-75761.html

Ebay is a good source of exhaust parts..
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:15 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Just filled up after a 500 mile trip after installing the Aero Turbine 5050XL and averaged 10mpg. I was getting 7mpg before the install. My average speed was 65mph. I shook all the windows and set of car alarms from Burbank to Manteca and back.
Sounds like fun with the alarms.
Did you just change the muffler or put an air filter in also. That's a great increase in fuel.
Thought I had one at "Our deals rock" But after ordering and found out that the 20% AERO discount coupon on their website "dosen't apply to THAT one", decided not to buy from them. There deals suck. So stuck trying to find another one from a reputable company. If anyone knows of a 5050 XL out there, let me know.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #40

National RV Owners Club
I just installed a 5050XL on my motorhome. It was purchased off Ebay and I purchased a 5 inch elbow, one clamp and two hangers from another vender. Removal and installation was not to hard. Lots of dirt down there. I sprayed the nuts & bolts several times alternating with WD-40 and Blaster. Some of the nuts did require a lot of torque to remove. Separating the old muffler from the tail pipe took some taping, twisting and some "words" of encouragement. It was not extremely easy but not real hard. I could have used an extra hand during the installation when inserting the tail pipe into the muffler and holding it up while getting hangers attached. I started it up and it sounds (I think) marginally louder but will have to wait a few days before I can take it out. It is supposed to snow about 12 inches tonight & tomorrow.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Just bought on on E-Bay For 119.95
Aero Turbine Performance Exhaust AT5050XL Muffler
Chow5656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #42

National RV Owners Club
Chow5656 - When I installed the 5050XL I first removed the old one and tail pipe and put it next to the new one on the shop floor. I was able to figure out what parts I needed, ordered them and then installed the new one. The muffler is louder and I do think makes a difference in low end torque and exhaust temps.
And Welcome to the forum - a great amount of information is available on this site.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote