Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #57
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I always liked " luck is when preparation ( hard work ) meets opportunity "

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2014, 02:04 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I always liked " luck is when preparation ( hard work ) meets opportunity "
Our kids have had that phrase drilled in to their heads since they were old enough to understand the words.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #59
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nforus View Post
Our kids have had that phrase drilled in to their heads since they were old enough to understand the words.
I only have one Son. I used the same " drill " .He bought a house three times the size of mine and I couldn't be more proud of him.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:21 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Maybe for some(A lot people in our world today) it does not need to be a investment
There is a large amount of working capital for some, glad you brought this up, it just backs up what this thread is about!
Imagine being one of the folks that go and drop 1.8 m on a new Newell, without batting a eye......
And the another time we could talk about their 200' yacht that the Coach is parked in front of. God bless em! I for one sure enjoy looking at all the equipment that people have
Is it really a yacht if it's only 200' long?
Old 02-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #61
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I only have one Son. I used the same " drill " .He bought a house three times the size of mine and I couldn't be more proud of him.
My oldest son started out as a roughneck on an oil platform in the North Sea. He now owns his own oilfield supply business, just bought an Aston Martin and plans to retire in 5 years at 50 years of age. I know how you feel Cliff, proud doesn't cover it!
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #62

Quote:
That's got to be a very good feeling!! Congrats to you dad!!
Old 02-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
We are still part of the working class blue collar workers who have been able to purchase one of these $300+ mh's. We did finance, & we will pay it off in about 1/3 of the time financed for. But we didn't just go out & purchase this mh, we have saved & traded up to get where we want to be when we both retire. We have done without & our kids have done without things the Jone's had. Did we miss out, we don't think so, all 3 of our kids have grown up to be responsible hard working adults & we couldn't be more proud of them. We have always had nice cars, but now new cars. A nice home and we have traveled around most of the USA & Caribbean, but we always planned out our trips & purchases to be the most rewarding at the least expense.

If you want it and there is a means to get it legally, if you work hard for it, it just may come your way. We have been blessed with good decisions to put us where we are today. I could retire now, but at 55 I am not personally ready. Our jobs allow us more time off than most & we both put in 40 hours or more a week. Although at point in our lives, most weeks we only do the 40. Life together is more important than the extra money.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:54 PM   #64

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Too many people worry about what others have, and how they got it. If you buy into the "I think I worked as hard as you did and I can't afford it, therefore you must have done something illegal or unethical to get it" mentality you're destined to be unhappy.

What ever happened to getting a good education, finding a job that pays well, saving some of your money, and being satisfied with what you're doing in your retirement?

Don't worry about what others have or how they got it. There's only 1 person that's responsible for what you earned, how you spent it, and where you are in life. That person stares back at you in the mirror every morning.

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #65

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWDawg1 View Post
This may really sound stupid to some, but I just have to ask. How can anyone afford to buy a $200 -$$300,000 motor home and keep it serviced and repaired? I think I have a pretty good retirement income and there is no way I could do it.
Most of us graybeards planned on retirement a long time ago. SWMBO and I have been RVers since we married over 40 years ago, started with popups and moved up the ladder. We've never taken a vacation renting a hotel room! If we had all the money we've spent on RVs & Camping, etc., it would make a nice retirement nest egg for many folks. But that was the extent of our frivolity. We rarely ate out, eating mostly from our own garden. Shopped at discount stores (Neither SWMBO nor I can dress in an outfit that cost us over $75.00 excluding shoes. We've driven economy cars with great mileage, and driven them 'til the wheels fell off. We've never been wealthy, maybe comfortably middle class, but the savings piled up and we were able to make some good investments. And, yes, we have enough left for a secure future.

So for those who are in our financial status, it would probably involve a major change in lifestyle, giving up a lot of the other things they've been spending money on all their lives!
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:07 PM   #66

Newmar Owners Club
Distribution of Wealth.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHg View Post
Wealth or "financial means" is not distributed, it is earned. I've worked for almost 45 years with never more than a few weeks off. In the last few years, I've started to take more time to enjoy whatever I have accumulated. I really get pixxed when people talk about distributing the wealth. If you want some of what I have, earn it yourself!! Now, about my first sentence....there are many who are doing everything in their power to redirect what I've earned !! My RV is probably one of the few extravagances I've ever allowed myself.....

Hhg
Quote:
Excellent!! I also have a hard time with the term "Wealth distribution" nobody distributed anything to us, but by the virtue of the huge taxes that we pay, we've got to be distributing to someone else. Those that would like to extract gains from the demonization of financial success are winning, and there is a growing resentment as a result. We grew up in an America where you strove hard to get a piece of the "American Dream" and you cheered for others who got there ,including those who went way farther that you, that just meant that the opportunities were out there. The greedy Wall Street types, Enron folks, etc did a huge disservice to the average person who just made their way one day at a time.
You fella's are just looking at the word "Distribution of Wealth".........think beyond the wording, and think of the big picture and what the word means as a whole. To keep this short and to start the thinking process, The gentleman that owns the refinery where I work, employed me, (and 2800 others) and by him hiring me he is re-distributing his wealth by giving me a job............ No one in this thread said that they wanted something for nothing........ The re- distribution of wealth can come in a lot of different forms, some faster for some and not so fast for others.........and then not at all for a lot.......for what ever reason. The last two generations before us saw the window in a time frame in our country to become a self made success stories in this country due to the wars ending and a lot of work for everyone and opportunities for one to start a business and so on and so forth, and without looking at the actual figures, statics show the a high percentage of todays wealth was inherited. Do others agree in todays world that it is hard to start out on your own like our Fathers did a make a go of a new business in todays world like our Grandfather's and Father's did? Just some things to ponder......
Old 02-04-2014, 04:16 PM   #67

I see what you're saying Pale, but isn't the fellow who owns your refinery practicing Capitalism. If that's what you're talking about, I'm all for it. I think what scares people about the "distribution of wealth issue is that somehow someone who "has" will be redistributing to some one who "hasn't". If DW and I are no longer working and we dig into savings to buy a new Newmar, then aren't we redistributing some of our wealth to the owners, suppliers, employees of Newmar?
Old 02-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #68

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I see what you're saying Pale, but isn't the fellow who owns your refinery practicing Capitalism. If that's what you're talking about, I'm all for it. I think what scares people about the "distribution of wealth issue is that somehow someone who "has" will be redistributing to some one who "hasn't". If DW and I are no longer working and we dig into savings to buy a new Newmar, then aren't we redistributing some of our wealth to the owners, suppliers, employees of Newmar?
Yes, As a fact you did. The more common term that we all hear more is "stimulating the economy"

As far as the fellow that owns most any business for profit:
Capitalism is an economic system in which trade, industry and the means of production are controlled by private owners with the goal of making profits in a market economy.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:38 PM   #69

I think what most of us relate to when talking about "redistribution of wealth" is taking from the haves, and giving to the have nots.[ moderator edit ]
GWDawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #70

Fleetwood Owners Club
When I hear the words "wealth distribution ", I think of all the multi-million (and billion) dollar corporations that in my entire working life have never paid more income taxes than me.

Tags
ford