Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2014, 04:52 PM   #71
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Political discussions are not permitted here as per this part of our rules.
  • General discussions of politics, general government policies, weaponry, gun rights and religion are not allowed in ANY areas of iRV2. Discussions about current or pending legislation or regulations, weapons and religion that directly pertain to RVing are acceptable but will be closed or removed if they wander off topic or become disruptive.
Let's please try to keep this thread going by not " going " there.

Thanks

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2014, 08:24 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWDawg1 View Post
This may really sound stupid to some, but I just have to ask. How can anyone afford to buy a $200 -$$300,000 motor home and keep it serviced and repaired? I think I have a pretty good retirement income and there is no way I could do it.
I could not either. I am too far down on the economic ladder. My parents died poor but thankfully gave me a sense of pride. Without a college education, I never made the big money. I have no pension, only social security, rental income and savings. The way I see it, people are either spenders or savers. Some decide to have their dessert first. Some save it for last. I try not to envy what others have...such a negative endeavor. If I spend my kids inheritance, it won't be the end of the world. They are both doing very well on their own...and proud of it.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:06 PM   #73

I cant afford a $300,00 coach but I know and work for people with the million dollar coaches I could not and would not want to pay for and maintain. I can however understand how much it costs to finance such extravagance.

Not being able to swing that I own a used Class A with satellite TV, air conditioning modern electronics and everything I need to be just as happy, parked in the space next to them
Old 02-13-2014, 08:34 PM   #74

Hey, remember, the big fish eventually upgrade to their desired lifestyle and pass on their used coaches to we that can't swing such a huge expense. If they didn't buy new, how would we get our beloved pre-loved used coaches?

I have no problem or jealousy about that. I am very happy that I have my coach at 25% of new. It's been worn and needs help here and there. I can certainly deal with that.

Thanks big fish!!!
Old 02-13-2014, 11:05 PM   #75

Carolina Campers
I worked for very wealthy people and made myself worthy enough that they were happy to gave me some wealth distribution..... Well, why not, my hard work made them more money than what wealth they distributed to me.... Then I socked it away as much of that wealth distribution as I could over the years, and denied many wants, but took care of my family needs.... Now I am taking my own distributions of my saved wealth, so why not use some of it to get some of those wants that I deprived myself of for so long....
Old 02-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #76

This is a pretty good thread (if that's what they call them). I guess I truly am the odd amn out here. I am poor, have always been poor, and am guessing I will always be poor. I have a Class A albeit a 15000.00 unit that likes me to put about 1000.00 into it per 5000 miles of use. It sucks gas like there is no tomorrow, the heater works most of the time (except when it's cold) the A/c will freeze you out in the spring when you don't really need it, and the genny will run both A/C units and never cough, surge, or otherwise complain until July or August when the wife is with me in say....South Texas at 105 degrees, then it will fail me. It is just the nature of the beast. Would I like to bump up to even the 50K motorhome, you bet I would, and for sure hope to. But as it is right now, man in spite of all of my experiences, I've never had a bad trip (okay, being towed out of Palo Duro Canyon area sucked pretty bad).
Moderation is the key I think, homes, cars, toys, hobbies, 401K/TSP, everything moderation. I really like what someone else posted to the effect of when I see a 50K unit I think, sweet must be nice, that guy see's a 500K unit and is like WOW, althought I can't image what trips that guys trigger driving the 500K rig. Probably airplanes or boats?
What do they say...."If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with"!
Old 02-14-2014, 11:21 AM   #77

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by YZF571 View Post
This is a pretty good thread (if that's what they call them). I guess I truly am the odd amn out here. I am poor, have always been poor, and am guessing I will always be poor. I have a Class A albeit a 15000.00 unit that likes me to put about 1000.00 into it per 5000 miles of use. It sucks gas like there is no tomorrow, the heater works most of the time (except when it's cold) the A/c will freeze you out in the spring when you don't really need it, and the genny will run both A/C units and never cough, surge, or otherwise complain until July or August when the wife is with me in say....South Texas at 105 degrees, then it will fail me. It is just the nature of the beast. Would I like to bump up to even the 50K motorhome, you bet I would, and for sure hope to. But as it is right now, man in spite of all of my experiences, I've never had a bad trip (okay, being towed out of Palo Duro Canyon area sucked pretty bad). Moderation is the key I think, homes, cars, toys, hobbies, 401K/TSP, everything moderation. I really like what someone else posted to the effect of when I see a 50K unit I think, sweet must be nice, that guy see's a 500K unit and is like WOW, althought I can't image what trips that guys trigger driving the 500K rig. Probably airplanes or boats? What do they say...."If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with"!
Hey; I resemble that remark! Just not sure which one..... Lol

My bad trips are far more rememberable than most. You must have been down in the lower section in Palo Duro. I was lucky that I stayed up by the amphitheater when the lower section folded last year, if I remember correctly, around June or July.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:42 PM   #78
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As I was responsible for a part of their initial training I was one of the first to spend time with many of our new hires, all college grads. At the time of their new employee orientation they'd be schooled on the benefits available to them, one of which was a 401k savings plan. I'd encourage all to take full advantage, most gave some excuse as to why they couldn't. New car payments, rent... I'd then ask "how much did you make last year?". It would range from zero to a few thousand. "Well, you're now making (entry level for the job they'd been hired for - and this was 10 years ago) $32,000 gross, ten times what you made last year. You don't think you could live off 9 times what you made last year?" Many weren't even smart enough to put away the measly $75 per month that the company would match at 100%. (and just try to explain the concept of 'tax deferred' - it only costs you $75 of take-home pay to save $100 - even to a college grad). A few took it to heart. They are the ones that will be driving the $300k (probably more like 600k by then) motorhomes 30 years from now, the others will be wondering why those got "all the breaks". In my humble opinion, I don't care how many responsibilities you have, you can save something. $5 a week? $10? $100. In any case, it will add up over time, but that's the key; time. You're not going to be able to do it if you wait until you're 60 to start.

Wish I'd been smart enough to put away at least 10% when I started, at age 27, but I wasn't. I was at least smart enough to start with what the company would match. I was also smart enough to have listened to a aunt who years before explained how she managed to save money (before the advent of the 401k). Every time she got a raise, she'd keep half and divert the other half to savings. She still enjoyed a higher take home pay while at the same time being able to save money. By our late 30s we were putting away 10% of our incomes, dropping back considerably 15 years later when we bought a vacation home, assuming that besides the enjoyment of using it that it would give a better return on investment than the markets were at the time (2001) - it didn't.

We were able to retire by age 60 and are enjoying a retirement most would be envious of. As we're not yet receiving Social Security, so far it's all based on what we have earned or saved.

For what it's worth, we have a very large "mortgage" on our motorhome. When I told our financial advisor I was thinking of paying it off that initiated a few days of back and forth discussions. Bottom line; our investments are making three times the interest rate we're paying, and that's not counting the interest deduction.

I also agree with those that counsel - be happy with who you are and what you have. As long as you're making your own way you're worthy of sitting around my campfire anytime, without regard to age or cost of your equipment.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:53 PM   #79

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
Many people practice the they will let me buy it plan (from lenders) , rather than the can I afford it economic plan. That's how you end up in the monthly payment sink hole.
That's why there are so many home foreclosures lately.
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:59 PM   #80

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWDawg1 View Post
This may really sound stupid to some, but I just have to ask. How can anyone afford to buy a $200 -$$300,000 motor home and keep it serviced and repaired? I think I have a pretty good retirement income and there is no way I could do it.
Just me personally. I never had a paycheck job with retirement benefits. I have been self employed my entire life and 10% of every dollar I made went into an investment account. Every time I had enough saved I bought an income property. I retired at 53 sold and carried the loans and just ordered the higher priced MH. My goals were high for retirement and by the grace of God, I made those goals.
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:36 PM   #81

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I totally agree with "JMonroe" right on...

In the last year I gotten two fellow younger co-workers to start a 401-k. We get a small 25% match on the first 4 percent. Not much...about $8 a week of "free" money, but it teaches a person to save. I tell them start at 4% and bump that up one % every year we get a raise in April.

We don't make a whole lot, but are in the food warehousing / distribution industry that is a steady income over the years. Myself I started my first IRA at age 13..Hope to retire in 510 more "work" days... O..I'm so so ready...But still I can't believe all the older co-workers (50+) that can't even think about retiring till at least SS....age.

In hindsight RVers may view a popup as a castle compared to thee old family tent. A person like myself viewed our hybrid as our castle coming from a tent (10 years) pop-up (6 years) and hybrid (going on 10 years)

At one time "I" always wanted a nice 5er. but perfectly fine in what I call my "condo" on wheels. Fits well into our lifestyle...affords us the budget to camp 50- 60 nights a year.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:34 AM   #82

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think some folks don't do sufficient research before they jump into getting a motor home. As many of us know, buying the RV is just the beginning. You have to figure out what you want to do with it, how to provision the beast for your needs, and how much maintenance will be required each year. Not just maintenance on the chassis, but on the RV systems as well.

I am a DIY person to the greatest extent possible... and this saves quite a bit of money. But a lot of folks are intimidated by DIY.

If you buy an RV and then cannot afford to use it, you wasted a lot of money. So do your homework, work the math, and be realistic. If the numbers are not "do-able" for you, find another hobby or you will just be frustrated and disappointed.

I am also a believer in buying "gently used"... let someone else take that 25-50% depreciation hit.
caheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:52 AM   #83

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Love this thread! It really illustrates the difference in mentality between 'how did he get that' vs 'how do I earn that'. If more people focused on the 'how do I', they would know the 'how did he'.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #84

Fleetwood Owners Club
401k for 25 years. Every penny we could do without went in.

Tags
ford