Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2014, 09:09 PM   #1

Age of drivers

What age do most MH drivers hang it up?

What is your age
brabono is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2014, 07:01 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most drivers hang it up when others take the keys away or... "We are gathered today to honor our dear departed loved one".

Or as the joke goes: When I die I want to go peacefully, in my sleep, like Grandpa, not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car.

Sadly.. that joke is far too often true.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:42 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I think that depends mostly on the health of the driver. I'm 74 now and plan on continuing to at least 80 unless my health gets bad.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I'm 67 and no hero. I had both parents who were stubborn and had the Sinatra mantra (I did it my way). Well one should learn from their parents and I did. I know my abilities have decreased and can allow for that. When I am not able to allow for the best I can do is not good enough I'll quit before anybody else notices. Most of you who know me know I plan ahead. The coach will still be used. We have already purchased the lot, in a resort.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:35 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree... I don't think it's the "age" that determines when to hang it up, it's your health. We have several octogenarians at our resort who do just fine.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:36 PM   #6

I'm 65 and plan on driving as long as I can. That said age and health play a big part. While I am currently healthy I am already changing my driving habits. We sleep in, eat breakfast, watch Tv and leave between 9 and 10 each morning. We have lunch on the road, usually in a park or Wal-Mart lot and stop between 2 and 3 (200 miles) - if not earlier. We try not to hurry. That said we all do what we need and I have also driven 12 hours when necessary. That is were people get in trouble. This year at the Tampa RV show we met a couple buying a new Winny Tour who were in the mid 80's and hardly able to walk. I do not want to be on the road in front of them - ever.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:52 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I don't believe it's an age thing, rather an ability one. I have know drivers that are 80 and handle their rigs very well. I also know drivers in their 30's that shouldn't have a license at all.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:52 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
For planning purposes when we were younger, the age seemed to be about 70 before a large rig became too much too handle. There will always be someone who goes way past that and some who don't make it that far. I hope to hit 70 and maybe another 5 if I'm lucky.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:13 AM   #9

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbburgess View Post
I'm 65 and plan on driving as long as I can. That said age and health play a big part. While I am currently healthy I am already changing my driving habits. We sleep in, eat breakfast, watch Tv and leave between 9 and 10 each morning. We have lunch on the road, usually in a park or Wal-Mart lot and stop between 2 and 3 (200 miles) - if not earlier. We try not to hurry. That said we all do what we need and I have also driven 12 hours when necessary. That is were people get in trouble. This year at the Tampa RV show we met a couple buying a new Winny Tour who were in the mid 80's and hardly able to walk. I do not want to be on the road in front of them - ever.
Don't jump the gun. I am 61, and can't walk or stand for more than a minute,(disease) but driving is sitting down, so I have no problem.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:43 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Please don't bring up subjects like this and CDL requirements. Big brother is all to happy to try and control our lives. I do encourage everyone to listen to your friends and family.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:25 AM   #11

My wife and I will be 63 this year. Our plans are to full time until we can not drive any more. After that we will probably live in our MH or a park model in some RV park until the kids put us in a home or we pass on to that large RV park in the sky.
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:37 PM   #12

I'm 67 and blessed with good health. I take no meds (prescription or over the counter) and I figure I'll drive until somewhere around 104. ;-)
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:05 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
I'm 67 and blessed with good health. I take no meds (prescription or over the counter) and I figure I'll drive until somewhere around 104. ;-)

Let me know which road you're gonna be on at 104!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:19 PM   #14

I am 70 and we have been on the road 4 years as fulltimers. We do volunteer christian work and plan to do this for several more years. Our health will determine when we leave the road which is very good at this time.