Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2014, 04:59 PM   #15

I've had the flexible s/s valve extenders with TPS on my truck for the past 8 years. When one developed a slow leak I replaced them all. After several tire blowouts I think they are more reliable than the tires.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2014, 06:22 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
We have a 28QB and installed the extended solid valve stems and we carry a 125 lb PSI pancake compressor. Purchased at WM. Also purchased the hose fitting that has an air pressure dial, trigger control, and the flexible end which clips on the valve stem. Additionally, I put a T in the supply side and put a pressure gauge there. This allows me to monitor air supply pressure and tire pressure when filling tires. I use quick disconnects on both ends of the supply hose.
We still have our wheel covers on and can access the stock front valves.
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:01 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoRuss View Post
...... Have you considered the potential consequences of what might happen if your hubcap came off? Is there any risk this might happen........
My hubcaps are integral to a flange that is part of the lugnut attachment. Separation is unlikely.

Quote:
Is your compressor one of those little guys without a tank meant for tire inflation? ..........
I have a 100PSI compressor myself, but it's one with a tank and is rather bulky.f Too large to travel with.
No, its a real compressor with a 6gal tank. I messed with small 12v compressors (not enough flow) and the onboard air system (not enough pressure), finally just bit the bullet and found this compressor on sale at HF. Comes in handy for other tasks, too. But its loud.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	compbay.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	57942  
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:07 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
I picked up a nice Campbell Hausfeld Tire Inflator with Gauge from WM (Campbell Hausfeld Tire Inflator with Gauge - Walmart.com)
and a small pancake compressor from Lowes that is able to provide enough PSI to get the job done (found it in the returns and got a great deal). We found that trying to get to the air pumps at most gas stations was to difficult so for us it was just easier this way. I also had extenders on my wheels but took them off due to slow leaks and they kept coming off the brackets that was suppose to secure them. I put TireMinder on all my wheels last year and so far they have been great. Good luck on your tire deli-ma I'm sure you will find something that works for you.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:14 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
That is the CH inflator we have and the compressor we have is similar to the previous post except smaller tank.
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
I've had the flexible s/s valve extenders with TPS on my truck for the past 8 years. When one developed a slow leak I replaced them all. After several tire blowouts I think they are more reliable than the tires.
I added Link Cat's Eye extenders/equalizers, (with s/s braided hoses), to my dualies in '02.
See: Link Cat's EyeŽ - Innovative Products for the Transporation Industry
They have been trouble free for 92k + miles.

Here is a link to a similar product: Dual Dynamics

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:07 PM   #21

I tried to respond and the stupid phone app crashed. Here goes again.

If you just want to check press and air up, maybe a straight foot gauge and chuck would work. I can get to the inner duals through the small holes in Alcoa aluminum outers.
Milton Industries
Attached Images

GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:20 PM   #22

You should be able to find 1 piece metal valve stems of just about any length and angle configuration at a good truck tire shop. We had a similar problem when we wanted to add a TPMS to our 2001 Adventurer. The front stems had to be relatively short with almost a 180* built in bend. The rear outers were also fairly short but with about a 90* bend. The inside duals were about 8" long with the same bend as those on the front.

We had no trouble finding them at Pomp's Tire Service. Each stem cost about $10.00. It cost an additional $15.00 per tire to have them dismounted, the new stem installed, the tire balanced, and reinstalled.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Navigator View Post
I tried to respond and the stupid phone app crashed. Here goes again.

If you just want to check press and air up, maybe a straight foot gauge and chuck would work. I can get to the inner duals through the small holes in Alcoa aluminum outers.
Milton Industries
I have an air chuck just like that, but it's no good unless you also have your own compressor with you. There is no way I'm aware to attach it to the conventional chucks found at gas stations. I have my own compressor but I don't want to use all that space in my rig.

My chuck and tire pressure gauge work on most of my wheels. As in the photos I included above, some of my wheels, two I think, have narrower hand holes and I cannot get the gauge or chuck onto those when they are mounted as the outer duals and the valve stem points inward. I think I wrote that too.

There may be an air chuck that will work on all my tires but I'll have to try some more to see. Meanwhile, the hunt for long valve stems continues. I'll look for truck tire shops as suggested by Hikerdogs.
RussOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:53 PM   #24

Quote:
I have an air chuck just like that, but it's no good unless you also have your own compressor with you. There is no way I'm aware to attach it to the conventional chucks found at gas stations. I have my own compressor but I don't want to use all that space in my rig. My chuck and tire pressure gauge work on most of my wheels. As in the photos I included above, some of my wheels, two I think, have narrower hand holes and I cannot get the gauge or chuck onto those when they are mounted as the outer duals and the valve stem points inward. I think I wrote that too. There may be an air chuck that will work on all my tires but I'll have to try some more to see. Meanwhile, the hunt for long valve stems continues. I'll look for truck tire shops as suggested by Hikerdogs.
My bad. I guess I didn't fully understand your situation.
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:57 PM   #25

Quote:

I have an air chuck just like that, but it's no good unless you also have your own compressor with you. There is no way I'm aware to attach it to the conventional chucks found at gas stations. I have my own compressor but I don't want to use all that space in my rig.

My chuck and tire pressure gauge work on most of my wheels. As in the photos I included above, some of my wheels, two I think, have narrower hand holes and I cannot get the gauge or chuck onto those when they are mounted as the outer duals and the valve stem points inward. I think I wrote that too.

There may be an air chuck that will work on all my tires but I'll have to try some more to see. Meanwhile, the hunt for long valve stems continues. I'll look for truck tire shops as suggested by Hikerdogs.
I should be relatively easy to come up with adapters to adapt the feed hose for the filler with a Schader valve that will fit on a service stations chuck.

Probably a two handed fill....
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Richard View Post
I should be relatively easy to come up with adapters to adapt the feed hose for the filler with a Schader valve that will fit on a service stations chuck. Probably a two handed fill....
Well that's an idea! A valve extension would seem to be perfectly suited for that job, wouldn't it? Screw it on to the valve stem when I need to check pressure or fill, unscrew it to drive off.

It may be difficult for me to get my hand thru the hand holes to attach an extender. I'll have to try sticking my hand in there. I don't know if I'll be able to see anything when my hand is in the hole. I'll check this out and report back.

Thanks.
2018 Arctic Fox 29-5T 5th wheel, 760 watts of rooftop solar, four 6 volt Lifeline AGM batteries, 2800 watt Magnum inverter, 1000 watt Aims inverter, Progressive PMS, Hughes Autoformer; 2017 Ford F350 XLT Supercab diesel dually 4x4
Old 03-11-2014, 08:17 PM   #27
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
PhotoRuss......Here are some suggestions. First off, I don't know why ANYONE would buy the outrageously priced Dually valve stems when you can go to a tire store and get them for about $11.00 each and cheaper if you search the internet. They come in multiple lengths.

Second, on the air chuck you have at home with the extension, the metal tube is often soft and you can add some more bend to it to make it fit. I had to do that to my air chuck to fit my Class C years ago.

Lastly, you can buy a braided extension and then just screw it on when you want to fill the tires. Remove it and move to the next tire.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
PhotoRuss......Here are some suggestions. First off, I don't know why ANYONE would buy the outrageously priced Dually valve stems when you can go to a tire store and get them for about $11.00 each and cheaper if you search the internet. They come in multiple lengths. Second, on the air chuck you have at home with the extension, the metal tube is often soft and you can add some more bend to it to make it fit. I had to do that to my air chuck to fit my Class C years ago. Lastly, you can buy a braided extension and then just screw it on when you want to fill the tires. Remove it and move to the next tire.
I am with you on the Dually valves. The only thing special about them as far as I can see are the stabilizer pucks. That's worth something, but I agree they are very pricey and I'm not sure their stabilizer pucks would fit my wheels.

Bending my air chuck might do the trick in terms of making it fit, but it's still no good to me unless I can hook it up to an air supply. I don't really want to carry a compressor.

I'm liking the extension-as-air-fill/pressure-check idea, but I have to see if I can get one on and off; have to check out whether or not I can get my hand thru the hand holes, reach the stems, attach and detach. I should know tomorrow.

Thanks.
2018 Arctic Fox 29-5T 5th wheel, 760 watts of rooftop solar, four 6 volt Lifeline AGM batteries, 2800 watt Magnum inverter, 1000 watt Aims inverter, Progressive PMS, Hughes Autoformer; 2017 Ford F350 XLT Supercab diesel dually 4x4