Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2008, 10:39 AM   #1

I have a 98 HR Endeavor DP that has air brakes and air suspension. When I shut-down the engine and turn-off the ignition I can hear air escaping in the vicininity of the passenger front wheel area where I believe the wet tank and other tank(s) are located. I've checked for leaks by monitoring the air pressure gauge - no reduction in air pressure and wondered if anyone had any suggestions. I should add that when I'm driving around the brakes are fine and air pressure is always within acceptable limits.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2008, 10:39 AM   #2

I have a 98 HR Endeavor DP that has air brakes and air suspension. When I shut-down the engine and turn-off the ignition I can hear air escaping in the vicininity of the passenger front wheel area where I believe the wet tank and other tank(s) are located. I've checked for leaks by monitoring the air pressure gauge - no reduction in air pressure and wondered if anyone had any suggestions. I should add that when I'm driving around the brakes are fine and air pressure is always within acceptable limits.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:22 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
If applying foot pressure to the break pedal does not increase the leak then you are ok.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:36 AM   #4

Do you ever shut down and leave the air bags full? Do they deflate over several hours or a day?

If so, you have an air leak somewhere. The ride height valves might be leaking.

Otherwise, your air system might be just bleeding off excess air at shutdown.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:54 PM   #5

when you first stop this is normal for rigs that have air suspenions to have air escaping to help level and adjust
Old 11-29-2008, 07:24 PM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to Steve Rankin
If neither gauge indicates a drop in air pressure, then you're just hearing some temporary venting & don't have a problem. If it was my coach, I'd want to know exactly what it is that's leaking the air though. A squirt bottle with soapy water and a flashlight are the tools of the day.
Steve Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:17 AM   #7

I had this problem when we first got our DP. It has a Spartan Air-Ride chassis and as it turned out, all three leveling valves were bad and needed to be replaced.

I did this myself and after completing this fix, I adjusted the ride height properly. This made for a much improved ride. I also eventually had to rebuild the air dryer and the system now works as designed.

All of these are fairly easy if you have and can turn a wrench.

Just be sure you have the coach fully supported before you dump the air totally out of the system to change any defective air system components out or even get under the coach as you wouldn't want to BE a pancake.

FWIW, I prefer solid blocks under the tires rather than jack stands and the leveling jacks are down to reduce any wind sway while I am under the coach. I also chock the front wheels, have a phone within reach (cell phones do NOT work well under a coach) and have family ready to assist me.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #8

thanks that was very informative, will give a try
Old 03-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #9

We have a 38' 97 Barth on a Sparton chassis and have a similar loss of air presure in the rear of the coach. I can turn a wrench but how easy is easy.

ED.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:26 PM   #10

Ed,

Air issues are very easy to fix and can be done with basic hand tools. Have you gotten underneath your MH yet to see exactly what you have in the rear for pneumatic components? You're going to either have air brakes or air bags for the suspension or a combo of both. It shouldnt be to hard to find your air leak. Like mentioned earlier get a bottle of soapy water and get a good light and crawl under and start searching. spray everything down that is air related, lines fittings, leveling valves, brake diaphram chambers. chock the wheels and push in the parking brake valve if equipped and go back under and check again for leaks on the emergency side of the air system if equipped with a parking brake. after that is done with the parking brake released have someone apply the brakes while you get back under there and check for leaks on the service side of the brake system. check your leveling valves if you have air bags. on the top of the air bag follow the line and it should go to a leveling arm that is attached to the rear axle on one end and the other is attached to the frame. there is a port on the leveling valve that is the exhaust port on the valve and that where they usually where you will hear the leak from. these are fairly cheap and can be swapped out in about a half hour with basic hand tools. the ride height will need to be adjusted after the new one is installed which is very easy. just take a couple measurements of the height of the MH before you remove everything to set the ride height. Most everything is very easy to change. just make sure you drain all of the air out of the system before disconnecting any lines or removing any parts. get some teflon tape and some pipe dope for all of your new fitting so you don't have any air leaks at the fittings after a component install. that should get you started in the right direction anyways.

Hornet
Old 03-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrie elliot View Post
when you first stop this is normal for rigs that have air suspenions to have air escaping to help level and adjust
X2!
Make sure it's broke before you try to fix it?
Mine will hiss for a second after I step out the door too. As mentioned above, the suspension's leveling valve is releasing a little pressure to allow the coach to level itself after this 300lb body no longer needs to be supported by it?