Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2008, 05:07 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been very unhappy with my current compressor. Fine for cars but not good for RV tires. I went online to Sears, Home Depot, & Lowes to look around. There are so many models on the market. Then I did a search on this site. Found that several people have been happy with a Porter Cable model CFBN125B. Went to Home Depot bought the compressor which also came with a nail gun for $199. It is fantastic, blew up my 19.5's with no problem. Thanks again for this site, it has been helpful for this and many problems.
Cacti is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2008, 05:07 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been very unhappy with my current compressor. Fine for cars but not good for RV tires. I went online to Sears, Home Depot, & Lowes to look around. There are so many models on the market. Then I did a search on this site. Found that several people have been happy with a Porter Cable model CFBN125B. Went to Home Depot bought the compressor which also came with a nail gun for $199. It is fantastic, blew up my 19.5's with no problem. Thanks again for this site, it has been helpful for this and many problems.
Cacti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:41 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I agree. The Porter Cable 6 gal 150psi does a great job. I found mine at a local hardware store here in Kansas City. Paid $119. They have both styles of the 6 gal compressor. I liked the model C2002R because it has a built in handle acrost the top and a place to wind up the porwer cord. Also only weights 34 lbs. Befor I posted this msg I checked with the hardware store and they just got in more of these. They are labled factory reconditioned, but the ones I looked at look like new with full factory warranty(over stock?). A pic of mine setting in the Monaco compartment is in pics below. Look in the Folder "Starting again with Monaco Knight". Store number is 913-236-5858
Old 02-15-2008, 02:02 PM   #4

Logthumper --- great shots of your rig. Just a thought --- I looked at the pic of the surge guard --- in all of their literature, they say to not mount it where it is parallel with the ground. I have mounted mine to one side of the compartment so it is not parallel to the ground. It has something to do with the way the breaker engages. Not trying to be critical -- just a thought.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:52 PM   #5

For Logthumper,
What is the max PSI that you can pump into your tires with the Porter Cable? Steve
BB501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:00 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Pressure is rarely the concern - even little 12v compressors can usually do a 125-150 psi. Sometimes even 200 psi. What they seldom tell you is how much volume of air they deliver at those lofty pressures and it is volume that dictates how quickly the tire inflates. At a very low volume the tire does not seem to inflate at all and the compressor may well overheat and shut down before doing anything useful.

Air volume is measured in cfm - cubic feet per minute - and anything less than around 0.5 @ the pressure you need for your tires is pretty worthless. Even that will seem painfully slow once the pressure in the tire gets high.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:14 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
BB501:
My max pressure needs for the Monaco is 115lbs, no problems.
Plenty of PSI(150psi) & Volume and compressor is only 34lbs.
I have had several over the years. I'm very happy with the performance of this one. For my needs, it would be hard to find a better one.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:08 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
David K:
Thanks for the "heads up". I checked on this when I first purchsed the unit and again after your post. Their concern is because it is a portable unit, if it is laid on the ground "face up" water might enter the unit during a rain. Since it is in an inside compartment, water is not a concern. If it is working, no problem.
Thanks again
Old 02-19-2008, 12:54 PM   #9

The Porter Cable 135psi Pancake Air Compressor does the job just as well as the Porter Cable 150psi Pancake Air Compressor. Costs less also. Watch eBAY, you find lots of guys selling these Porter Cables. Guys buy the Porter Cable 135psi or 150psi with nail gun combo just to get a nail gun. Then they quick sell the compressor on eBAY.

By the way, I have the Porter Cable 135psi Pancake Air Compressor. Works great! Handles my 19.5 tires easily. Great for Winterizing. Got it new for a very decent price from an eBAY vendor.

BillArf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I also have the 150 psi Porter Cable - excellent machine. I run 110 psi in my 22.5" front tires and 90 psi in the rears. It handles both nicely.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:47 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I have a unit from Sears, rated at 125psi. Works really well and takes the tires to 110 no problem. 99.00 on sale. This unit has steel liners and will last for years.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote