Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2005, 04:57 PM   #1

Wal*Mart has an air compressor for about $55. Does anyone think it's good to have one? It runs on a gallon of gas. They also have some 12V, but not sure if they are powerful enough for the tires.

<font color="#0000ff">George Eldridge

Cynthia Totten</font>
Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2005, 04:57 PM   #2

Wal*Mart has an air compressor for about $55. Does anyone think it's good to have one? It runs on a gallon of gas. They also have some 12V, but not sure if they are powerful enough for the tires.

Cynthia Totten</font>
Old 06-09-2005, 06:06 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
I carry an air compressor that is 120 volt in the bus --- can operate it via diesel gen set, shore power or inverter power. The truck - I use the air fitting that was used to go to a semi trailer. Both of these work for me. If you have a gasoline air compressor and don't use it very often, Murphy's Law #45 says it will not start - be out of fuel - gumed up carb - etc. just when you really need it~!~

don
Old 06-09-2005, 08:01 PM   #4

....I have an electric compressor that powers the water system....also will do tires given time and patience.....geofkaye
Old 06-10-2005, 01:58 AM   #5

I carry a Campbell Hausfeld rechargeable compressor. Use it for tires if need be, also to fill airbags when 5er is on the back.

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 03:28 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I purchased the Sears Compressor that is all contained in a sort of futuristic shroud. It goes up to 150# is very compact and tops off my 22.5" tires in a snap. The hose that is provided is a piece of trash, it broke the first time I used it. Sears replaced it with a higher quality hose.

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 07:04 AM   #7

Thanks for the info. I'll check out the Sears one and compare it to Wal*Mart's thanks to my fellow Navy retired.

Cynthia Totten</font>
Old 06-11-2005, 05:28 PM   #8

We have a Sears compressor with a two gallon tank and a shut off at 135# and on at 110#. It works very well for our 85# tires.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:47 PM   #9

Webster,

Are you sure the Walmart runs on gas? I just picked up a Campbell Hausfeld 1 Gal Pancake Compressor from Walmart for about $55.00. I have it in the 5er for most air needs, but I don't think it will top off my Goodyear 614's. I also have a Sears Pancake compressor that I leave at home for heaver work and it is a little too big for the 5er. The Walmart one seems to be perfect for my needs.

Personally I have never seem a gas powered portable.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 07:09 AM   #10
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I have a Sears "tank-less" compressor which is no longer available. Sears retained the compressor shell however I believe they've added tanks to the entire line.

It inflates our 22.5" tires without any problems and I can pretty much say that it does a great job for us. Best part about our compressor is the low profile.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 10:28 AM   #11

Boy, you guys are a wealth of info. I'm going to look at the one at Wal*Mart again to be sure of the specs, but that Sears one sounds even better. Now I gotta find a Sears. I think we have a Sears catalog place up in Sonora (Jamestown is a very small town). I'm sure there's one down in Modesto.

Thanks all.........

Cynthia Totten</font>
Old 06-20-2005, 10:15 AM   #12

Guys

I have two TruckAir 275's (one home and one in RV) got them from either Wally World or KMart (don't know which). I keep my 22's at 95 psi - the TruckAir, while slow, has no trouble airing the tires. I have been using them for over 5 years. They are guaranteed for 7 years and are made in the USA. They run cool as the compressor is fan cooled. Best yet is the price around $40...

rayw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 02:47 PM   #13

I got the one from Home Depot. Works great, not heavy, not too big. Can't imagine not having a compressor on board. Use it for all kinds of things - very handy.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:48 PM   #14

....I tried the little compressor this week end...forgetaboutit goes back Thursday....I'm now using a pancake compressor 125 psi in 3 minuites.....little compressor took 40 minuites to fill a 235X85X16 to 110 pounds.....in that hot sun-I died 4 times.....geokaye