Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You need a higher pressure compressor.. Though in theory that one will do it (VERY VERY SLOWLY) a huffer-puffer that can hit 150 PSI (Sears or Habor freight) will do the job much faster.. Still takes a while though (My sears cuts off at 160 PSI)

NOTE: That sidewale on the tire does not say "Pressure 115 psi'

It says Maximum LOAD of XXXXXXX pounds at Maximum Pressure of 115PSI.

115 PSI may be too much, depending on the weight on the tire.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2010, 05:35 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
I use this method to determine exactly how much air to put in my tires.

Optimizing Tire Pressure

When I went by weight alone, along with the Michelin tables, I found the result leaving the tire too low and the chalk-line test revealed that the edges of the tire had more contact with the road than the center. I now have the full tire foot-print on the road. This took four or five tests done over three days because I wanted the tests done with a cold tire. I am now happy with the results. I suppose that it is not the absolute best way to go but it seems to make sense to me and the coach rides and handles well. I guess I'm kind of anal retentive regarding tire pressure but I want my tires to live on for a long time. We only have 8,500 miles on them and we are hoping that they are good for at least five more years, with age being the main consideration. Just something to consider after doing the coach weighing/air pressure routine. Happy travels, Joe
Old 09-11-2010, 07:29 PM   #17

Triple E Owners Club
Thank you Joe for passing this information on. Now if I can only get the grandkids to let me use their chaulk.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:29 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
The first time I went to fill my RV tires, I had the same exact problem... seemed to be plenty of pressure, but no airflow. My compressor is 150 psi.

I found the regulator on the compressor was a restriction. I took it off, now I got plenty of air. My air tools work much better too.
Eventually I will find a "bigger" regulator, but for now I'm happy with it wide open.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:23 PM   #19

Agree with below. Ill just repeat for the pure exercise of it.
Fill tire while compressor is running. When it shuts off,the tank is full,just pull the valve emptying the tank a little or alot which ever you want.
Then when the compressor turns back on you can squeek a few more pounds into the tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sage View Post
The trick with "most" tire compressors that have tanks is that there is a rating for when the compressor kicks back on. If yours tops out at 120 psi then the turn back on point is probably as low as 80 - 90 psi. The easiest solution is to pull the release valve so that the tank goes down to the 80 - 90 level and kicks back on. It will then pump back up to 120 again and turn off. Generally if your tires only need 100 psi then you have enough spare air in the tank to top out the tire. You may have to go through this procedure for each tire. :( If you need 115 psi then you don't have much extra air to top up the tire.. You may need to go to a compressor that makes 140 psi or more.
PalmSprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:48 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
Your compressor is just not large enough to handle the psi that you want. I bought this one and I can air 22.5 tires easily:
Porter Cable 150 PSI, 6 Gal Oil-Free Pancake Compressor

If you do a google search you may find it at a better price and you can also buy this model as a refurbished one from some sellers. Joe
I tried using the coach air system connection but it doesn't do the job. My 22.5 front tires need 112 psi based on weighing the coach and using the Goodyear tire chart. I blew up the cheapo compessor I had used for years for the old coach with 19.5 tires. On the first attempt, it got up to 110 then blew something inside. POW... then no air output at all. Maybe its time to get the Porter Cable compressor.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #21

Guys,

I think you all have plenty of money to keep buying compressors.

On my Mountian Aire I can easily get to 115 psi in my front tires from the onboard system. Two things: 1. I had the compressor governer set to the max about 130 psi.
2. I must keep the compressor running, if it stops I depress the center of the chuck to reduce pressure and start the compressor.

In fact step 2 was recommended by several to get the electrical compressor to run to get to the pressure required.

I like KISS.

Al Sawyer
'05 MADP
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your going to lose about 10-15 psi at the chuck from the max compressor rated psi. It's a fact of life .

Just get a unit that is rated about 25 psi than you require- .

I also have a Porta Cable 2002, 150 psi unit. It works great .

I had a 100 psi Campbell Hausfeld- I gave it away to a friend.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:12 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Firestone Air Accessory System- Remote Fill Station - Heavy Duty Compressor w/ 3G air tank, wand: Ultimate Auto Accessories

I installed this system under my rig,drilled a few holes all of the lines are quick connect,ran power and grounded to the frame.I have used this for 3 years and have never had any problems.I've got 140psi at the end of the hose.

There are models starting around $290.00
ccook129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is mine mounted in my electrical compartment. I had lots of vertical space not being used. The 50 amp cable rolls up and fits nicely below the shelf I made. A heck of a good price here for this 150 psi unit.

I use it all the time at the campground for air mattresses, tires for golf carts, lawn tractors, car tires, RV tires, etc- and of course, for my rigs tires.

Good luck on your choice,
Old 09-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by allynne View Post
Guys,

I think you all have plenty of money to keep buying compressors.

On my Mountian Aire I can easily get to 115 psi in my front tires from the onboard system. Two things: 1. I had the compressor governer set to the max about 130 psi.
2. I must keep the compressor running, if it stops I depress the center of the chuck to reduce pressure and start the compressor.

In fact step 2 was recommended by several to get the electrical compressor to run to get to the pressure required.

I like KISS.

Al Sawyer
'05 MADP
How does one get the governor reset? Is is something I can do or is it something best done at the shop?

Thanks,
Norm
A6IntruderBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Compressor.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	5453
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
Your compressor is just not large enough to handle the psi that you want. I bought this one and I can air 22.5 tires easily:
Porter Cable 150 PSI, 6 Gal Oil-Free Pancake Compressor

I have the same compressor... 150 psi Works great when a 120 psi compressor would not air up past 110.

Lowes sells it... Paid $140.00

This thing is great for compressed air to use on house-fans, roof AC, car/truck tires, steering wheel grit, many other uses.

Comes with a compressed air spray nozzle and several other tools and adapters. Lightweight. I keep it with me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Compressor tools.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	5454  
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:00 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by A6IntruderBN View Post
How does one get the governor reset? Is is something I can do or is it something best done at the shop?

Thanks,
Norm
I think that we all would like to know the answer to that question. Joe
Old 09-23-2010, 03:00 PM   #28

Your compressor is adequate

I had a similar problem, solved by pulling the air dump on the compressor tank briefly, and forcing the compressor to come on. Otherwise the tank and tire pressures will equalize above the minimum tank pressure switch setting.
hogrider80 is offline   Reply With Quote